Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #406
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
the SO ones are being delivered before the non SOs it seems. clever tactic...
You're right. I wanted to check this theory so I ordered another one, but w/ SO and my delivery date is.... October 3rd.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #407
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
the SO ones are being delivered before the non SOs it seems. clever tactic...
Since Amazon has lowered the price on discontinuing the SO to $20, I may go for the non-ad version, but maybe not, as the ads don't really bother me. Although I wasn't too crazy about that Pampers baby's butt staring me in the face when I turned the device off, but I haven't seen that one in a while.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #408
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I remember a year ago when the ads were new that most people found them to often offer something that they were interested in. Has that remained true throughout the year? I haven't seen any comments in a long time from people who were taking advantage of the ads.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #409
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Since Amazon has lowered the price on discontinuing the SO to $20, I may go for the non-ad version, but maybe not, as the ads don't really bother me. Although I wasn't too crazy about staring at that Pampers baby's butt staring me in the face when I turned the device off, but I haven't seen that one in a while.
Even though I can't take advantage of any of the ads, since I don't live in the US, I prefer the ads to the standard screensavers. I just look on them as a constantly-changing set of new screensavers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #410
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Bessides they give you a window into what Americans are presently interested in, at least according to Amazon's beliefs.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #411
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
If its anything like the other ad supported kindles, you can always turn off the ads in your account later. So if the s/o ones ship sooner, get those for now.

I ordered the wifi s/o on the first day. Had estimated date of 10/2. The next day I cancelled that order because of some reason and then reordered again with the same estimated date.

I am using a K3 right now and that was before the ads. So ads and touch will be totally new to me in my e-reader. I am a bit worried about page turning. We'll see.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #412
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think it's a matter of "Amazon's beliefs" as "who's paid Amazon for the advertising"! The current one is a rather boring AT&T advert, but many of them are quite amusing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #413
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In my case a lot of them are for Amazon products.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #414
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My current ad on my K3K is for a Paperwhite.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #415
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
My current ad on my K3K is for a Paperwhite.
Does the ad show a discount for the Paperwhite? If so, I may turn the K3 ads back on and take advantage of that.

There hadn't been any worthwhile deals for months and I was having problems with the device spontaneously rebooting after 3G connection, so I turned off the ads several months ago. (I have the more expensive K3 without ads, so I can opt in and out at will without charge.)
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #416
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Alas no. But! It's changed to a Fire! Without a discount of course.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #417
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
Well, I mostly read library ebooks; epub is usually available quicker than kindle format, so for me format does matter.

However, I'm strongly tempted by the paperwhite with the lighting as my night vision isn't very good after retinal surgery. So, I may ask for one for my birthday in November. I think I'll still hold onto my prs-350 for epubs, however. It's not worth much anymore anywhere, but I like the options available on the tiny Sony ereader even if I have to use a lamp or light in the evening.
Why give up your ePub when you can get a Kobo Glo?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #418
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domm123 View Post
Now we need a backlit version for the DX version..
There is a backlit larger screen reader from Amazon. It's the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD. You cannot have a DX backlit. The light won't shine through. Also, the DX is dead. Amazon killed it by not doing a thing to keep it current. Plus, the price is really way too much for the little it can do.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #419
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Okay, so I'm still confused, or maybe just have not found an explanation that satisfies me, but IS this a NEW style e-ink display with improved contrast or is the "whiteness" only due to the light?
With no light, the screen has a lighter background then the previous screen Amazon used. I don't think it's 25% lighter. Not from the photo the Verge took of the PW and the Touch together with the light off on the PW. The screen is still greyish. It is the light that gives the optical illusion of being white.

I saw the video of the forthcoming Onyx Boox i62HD with frontlight and it was white when the light was on and up to full. The i62HD uses the same screen as the Kobo and the Kindle.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #420
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It didn't change, apparently. The estimated delivery date is still October 3rd. I got the cover I ordered yesterday; a graphite zip sleeve. It's not as pretty as my Oberons, but it's not bad, and I wanted something light and easily removable as this will be my reading in bed Kindle. Oberon covers are fantastic, but not for reading under the covers. My grandson's original flavor Fire is in a blue one, and it seems to offer pretty good protection.
That's not a cover/case. That's a sleeve. And we know that a sleeve is at least 50% useless.