Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #10861
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finally completed The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro. I guess English butlers do not interest me as much has I thought. The book wasn't what I expected either. Lots of reminiscing and side comments like "truth be told," "I believe," "to be honest" etc. Such things bore me. The book's last chapter was it's one bright spot. After 245 pages I still do not know what butlers do beside carry tea into drawing rooms. Grade D+ (2 stars).

Will stop in the library tomorrow to grab my ILLs. Three requests arrived.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #10862
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
The past couple days I have been reading Eon - Greg Bear After two days I am only at 30% I just can't get into it but can think of nothing else to read.
Eon's a little dry IMO. I liked it, but if it doesn't grab you, try something else.

I'd recommend The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold. Self-contained, although (the first) part of a series. It's in the Baen Free library, so you can download for free in DRM-free Kindle/Mobipocket or ePub formats.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #10863
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Any Man So Daring by Sarah A. Hoyt

It starts off three years after the close of the last book.
Which was also very satisfying. All in all, a very nice set of stories, indeed.

Next, I think I'll read her book of short stories, Wings by Sarah A. Hoyt.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #10864
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Eon's a little dry IMO. I liked it, but if it doesn't grab you, try something else.

I'd recommend The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold. Self-contained, although (the first) part of a series. It's in the Baen Free library, so you can download for free in DRM-free Kindle/Mobipocket or ePub formats.
Thanks for that suggestion Paul!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #10865
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #10866
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just finished The Kinshield Legacy by K.C. May. Great fantasy. Now starting The Black God's War by Moses Siregar III. I've been looking forward to this ever since I read the novella some months back.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #10867
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell. not the most action packed novel but interesting and entertaining.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #10868
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Maelstorm by Peter Watts.
Recently discovered the author. I am now on book 2 of his Rifters series. He's a marine biologist and mixes that field very nicely with sci-fi, I find.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #10869
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On the home stretch for Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (paper read before bed) and just started H.G. Wells' Tono-Bungay (Gutenberg download for on the go). Hope it improves or Mr. Wells will only be batting 3 out of 4 titles for me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #10870
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I finished up Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep
The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe
Skinwalker by Faith Hunter (started)
Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy.

Most of those I did reviews for various sites and now that I had a GREAT reading binge, I guess I gotta now go back to work, dang it!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #10871
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
has anyone read any of the books in the mercedes thompson series by patricia briggs? '
Oh, yes, I like Patricia Briggs's work immensely, including River Marked.

Just finished a re-read of Maisie Dobbs, by Jacqueline Winspear.

Last edited by anjirlly; 09-22-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: To avoid doubleposting
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #10872
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Love Patricia Briggs--Her Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series; her stand alones, her early work, probably anything she jots down on a napkin too!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #10873
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool turquoise and white feather earrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Oh, yes, I like Patricia Briggs's work immensely, including River Marked.

Just finished a re-read of Maisie Dobbs, by Jacqueline Winspear.
i just love the cover art by dan dos santos and 'river marked' (with the turquoise and white feather earrings) is my favorite.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #10874
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i just love the cover art by dan dos santos and 'river marked' (with the turquoise and white feather earrings) is my favorite.
I actually hate most of the cover art. But I love her writing so I buy it anyway!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #10875
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Currently reading The Night Circus

Erin Morgenstern’s dark, enchanting debut takes us to the black and white tents of Le Cirque des Reves, a circus that arrives without warning, simply appearing when yesterday it was not there. Young Celia and Marco have been cast into a rivalry at The Night Circus, one arranged long ago by powers they do not fully understand. Over time, their lives become more intricately enmeshed in a dance of love, joy, deceit, heartbreak, and magic. Author Morgenstern knows her world inside and out, and she guides the reader with a confident hand. The setting and tone are never less than mesmerizing. The characters are well-realized and memorable. But it is the Night Circus itself that might be the most memorable of all. --Chris Schluep

I am only a few chapters into it, not enough to tell if I like it or not yet.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote