Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Is it possible to buy ebooks from Amazon - but not for Kindle ?

Well, the subject says it all. I wonder whether it is possible to buy and download ebooks for other devices, mobi format is ok
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: it can be done, if you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone and you're willing to remove DRM, which may be illegal where you live.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Well, the subject says it all. I wonder whether it is possible to buy and download ebooks for other devices, mobi format is ok
iPhone and iPOD touch support this for several formats but only Kindle formats from Amazon.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP is asking whether one can buy eBooks from Amazon, Dale.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Any device that supports a browser can do this.
I think the question is whether they can buy e-books from the Kindle store, but without actually having a Kindle, in order to read on another device. As far as I know, you must own a Kindle to buy e-books from the Kindle store. You can now transfer e-books to an iPhone, but you still have to have a Kindle to do that.

Since I have no interest in a Kindle, I myself am jonesing for the day Amazon allows anyone to purchase e-books for any device...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The OP is asking whether one can buy eBooks from Amazon, Dale.
I realized that later and fixed my response. iPhone can be used certainly.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
TS-Rick
TS-Rick began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3, iPhone, PRS-505 (Blue)
Actually, you don't need a kindle. An iPhone works fine without owning a kindle.

Rick
TS-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I As far as I know, you must own a Kindle to buy e-books from the Kindle store. You can now transfer e-books to an iPhone, but you still have to have a Kindle to do that.
No you don't need a kindle just an iPhone or iPod Touch. You can register just one of those and buy and download books to them. Without having a Kindle.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Buying Kindle books for the iPhone in Australia - a success story. So far as I know, what works from Australia will work from anywhere outside the US. Note that a small percentage of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, but most are AZW which is functionally identical to MOBI and the DRM can be stripped using mobidedrm. The ebooks are downloaded to your iPhone (iPod Touch) and must be uploaded from there to a PC (say) if you want to move them to another device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got to get hold of an iPod Touch,then. Thanks everyone
Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
Call me when Amazon publishes an open standard so any ebook maker can legally incorporate their book and estore formats for their customer bases. I'm happy that Amazon wants to sell an ereader. However, I'm also offended that they intend to use this to monopolize the e-publishing industry. They can be a publisher or a device manufacturer, but they should not be both. That is a path toward monopoly abuse of their customer base. It's time for some anti-trust action.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
One has to wonder why Amazon does not allow the readers with Mobipocket agreements to pull books from Amazon. That would leave out their dark angel Sony and a few others. It makes no sense for them not to allow access to Amazon when the same readers have Mobipocket licenses. I was a good Amazon customer who now buys most books from Fictionwise. I goto Amazon for the write ups and reviews and then make my purchase at Fictionwise, a Barnes and Noble Company. Multiply my actions by the hundreds or thousands of former Amazon book buyers and then see if Amazon does not start to review their policy. Our votes with dollars is greater than Antitrust.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
One has to wonder why Amazon does not allow the readers with Mobipocket agreements to pull books from Amazon.
On reason is that Amazon subsidise best-sellers as a "loss-leader" for the Kindle - there are even claims that some are sold at a loss to Amazon. Opening up the store would increase prices, unless they were to have a "two-tier" pricing structure, a lower price for the Kindle, and a higher one for everyone else.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On reason is that Amazon subsidise best-sellers as a "loss-leader" for the Kindle - there are even claims that some are sold at a loss to Amazon. Opening up the store would increase prices, unless they were to have a "two-tier" pricing structure, a lower price for the Kindle, and a higher one for everyone else.
I realize that there is some subsidization going on at Amazon, but I'm not sure it's to prop up Kindle sales. If the iPhone/iTouch owner can also view Amazon eBooks, at the same price, then it doesn't exactly make sense. They are somewhat in competition with Kindle sales. I think more likely, Amazon is subsidizing the eBook format in general, to get people to convert over. Yes, that might eventually sell a Kindle to you, if you had enough books, and got tired of trying to read them on an iPhone/iTouch. What would actually persuade me more quickly would be if the Kindle books were readable on a PC (ala iTunes music). That might get me to critical mass, a Kindle is something I'll buy when I have enough books, but the format problems with PDFs, too-restrictive DRM, and so forth cause me to hesitate. But I don't think the model at Amazon, and no question there are some smart folks there, is to dominate eBook readers. More likely they're looking to dominate eBooks. The eBook readers will get pounded down to the cost of a text-book or two, before we know it. Kindle will follow the same exact model as the PC, first introducted (Monochrome, small screen, etc.).
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Buying Kindle books for the iPhone in Australia - a success story. So far as I know, what works from Australia will work from anywhere outside the US. Note that a small percentage of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, but most are AZW which is functionally identical to MOBI and the DRM can be stripped using mobidedrm. The ebooks are downloaded to your iPhone (iPod Touch) and must be uploaded from there to a PC (say) if you want to move them to another device.
I visited Stanza site today and I have seen that there is a PC version. Do your suggestion work for the PC as well, or do you really need a iPod Touch / iPhone ?