Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
dvd8n
Connoisseur
dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Hanvon h516, Kobo Aura HD
PRS-650 Connection Problem

I've suddenly got a weird new problem with my Sony.

When I connect it to USB it flips to 'Charging Battery' mode and seems fine. I can browse the various folders on the device from Windows with no issue. It will stay at this state indefinitely with no problem.

When I start Calibre it starts communicating with the Sony OK. The task 'Getting list of books from device' (not sure of exact wording) runs for a few minutes. Then the Sony displays a 'Charging Interrupted' message and I can no longer browse the directories from Windows. Calibre just sits spinning its job in progress indicator. The device communication seems to be completely broken at this point. All that I can do is unplug the device, reconnect it and scan and fix the 'drives'.

Anyone have any ideas?

David
dvd8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd8n View Post
I've suddenly got a weird new problem with my Sony.

When I connect it to USB it flips to 'Charging Battery' mode and seems fine. I can browse the various folders on the device from Windows with no issue. It will stay at this state indefinitely with no problem.

When I start Calibre it starts communicating with the Sony OK. The task 'Getting list of books from device' (not sure of exact wording) runs for a few minutes. Then the Sony displays a 'Charging Interrupted' message and I can no longer browse the directories from Windows. Calibre just sits spinning its job in progress indicator. The device communication seems to be completely broken at this point. All that I can do is unplug the device, reconnect it and scan and fix the 'drives'.

Anyone have any ideas?

David
Is your USB port shutting down because of a power overload?
Open the device manager to the USB section. is there a Yellow mark on one (or more ports)?

Have you charged the device FULLY with a Wall charger?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
dvd8n
Connoisseur
dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.

Nope, no yellow mark.

Charged it overnight; different cable; different USB port. No difference.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Unfortunately it sounds to me as if the PRS-650 might be developing a hardware fault.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
dvd8n
Connoisseur

**!£%

It's already been back to Sony once for repairs.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
**!£%

It's already been back to Sony once for repairs.

Intermittent's
(It worked when they first plugged it in. So they write it down as user error and don't test any further )

If it works otherwise can you load a SD card on your computer and then use the device (thinking, what you might get back will be worse)?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
dvd8n
Connoisseur

I can load it via the SD card but I don't need to as I can copy stuff on quite happily manually using the USB connection.

It just seems to be the intensive use (guessing here) of the USB made by Calibre's scanning of the books that's making it die.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
dvd8n
Connoisseur

I guess you're saying that if I use an SD card, I can still use Calibre, though - right?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I guess you're saying that if I use an SD card, I can still use Calibre, though - right?
Yes! Good old Sneaker Net
Just the media is updated
Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This sounds for me more like a USB connection problem. Is it possible, that your reader side micro USB cable connector is waggly if you plug it on your reader? This happens sometimes to me and I press then the metal frame of the Micro-USB connector a little bit together to have a better connection. This will help for a while.
Or try to check if an other USB-Cable will help to solve the problem

Last edited by Divingduck; 03-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote