Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #121
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
We do. Do you know of anyone regularly on the forums who is likely to have a Japanese model, and might help us? (You, being a guru, are likely to know).
No, I can't think of anyone. The closest have been people who want Japanese books from other countries. I have been hoping that someone would pop in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #122
syber
syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Touch
Is ther any other info that you need from me?
This has gotten pretty intriguing....
syber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #123
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
I just came across this Japanese blog.

The writer disassembled his device, presumably bought in Japan. Some pertinent points are:

- His device came with iMX508 (Freescale MCIMX508CVM8B)
- A reader commented that the device he received contained iMX507
- There's an internal micro SD socket.

It appears that for the JP launch, both 508 and 507 models were distributed. This would also tend to support the reports from elsewhere that both CPUs are in circulation in all markets.

kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #124
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First photo is an image from the original FCC certification application for KT (featured here). Presumably circa June 2011 when the application was logged after being filed w/ FCC.

The second photo is from the Japanese blog site mentioned above. The post is dated 20/07/2012. Both photos show a device with iMX507 CPU.

Its immediately obvious however that the circuit board has undergone some significant modifications. Fewer ICs and soldered storage memory has been replaced by a socketed microSD. In addition, the steel shielding around the primary chipset on the original model appears to have been discarded.

Last edited by kumaryu; 09-13-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #125
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
The gentleman who posted the download link to f/w 2.1.1?

I sent him a message requesting his assistance,
Thank you. I suppose that username should have been a clue!

I addition, I'm glad you found the thread because of your hardware knowledge. It is a bit beyond me at the moment, but I'm catching up (slowly!)

Last edited by Peakcrew; 09-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #126
kumaryu
Zealot

I've been lurking...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #127
kumaryu
Zealot

Comments on boards in JP indicate the following:
1. In addition to models featuring iMX507 and iMX 508, there are units with sightly different circuitboard layout in circulation.
2. Both Taiwan and China (PRC) models have been spotted.

Since Netronix operates 2 factories, one in Taiwan and the other in Guangdong province in China, these observations tend to support the view that KT is assembled in these two factories.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #128
kumaryu
Zealot

Inspection of the circuitboard on my KT reveals the following:

0. CPU: iMX508
1. The circuitboard design is similar to the older models. ie. the storage memory is soldered on to the mainboard but there's no shielding present.
2. Mainboard version is: V1.7_57, 2011-09-28
3. Serial number attached to circuit board: KG31C0601976B (This matches the serial number in the file at \.kobo\version)
4. The additional IC (compared to socketed SD boards that lack this chip) is a Freescale MC13892, an integrated power management IC.
5. The device was manufactured in China (PRC)

Last edited by kumaryu; 09-14-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #129
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Way back when someone said that the Japan model would be a iMX507 processor, I checked out the Freescale site on the processors. If I'm remembering correctly, the iMX507 doesn't have an e-Ink driver on board, but the iMX508 does. This struck me as weird, because if the driver isn't on board, it has to be supplied by another chip somewhere, and it seems to make sense that the driver on the processor would be cheaper.

As to the internal SD card, I'd guess that there is a world wide shortage of packaged flash memory, and Kobo went with the sd card because they could get supply. Also, they can increase the speed of the sd card easier than increasing the speed of the packaged chip.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #130
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Inspection of the circuitboard on my KT reveals the following:

0. CPU: iMX508
1. The circuitboard design is similar to the older models. ie. the storage memory is soldered on to the mainboard but there's no shielding present.
2. Mainboard version is: V1.7_57, 2011-09-28
3. Serial number attached to circuit board: KG31C0601976B (This matches the serial number in the file at \.kobo\version)
4. The additional IC (compared to socketed SD boards that lack this chip) is a Freescale MC13892, an integrated power management IC.
5. The device was manufactured in China (PRC)
I gained some courage and opened my Kobo (it was pretty easy, i used only my fingernails):

0. CPU: imx507
1. there is no shielding
2. Where can I find the mainboard version? I found this number printed on it: UCT(strange font type, can be also WGT)-2 94V-0 1137 E324432
3. There is a sticker with a barcode with numbers totally different from the numbers in the file in .kobo\version (there is another one on the battery, with also different numbers)
4. A socketed micro-SD card is on the board
5. didn't find the origin

and on the inside of the plastic back (printed with black ink on the black plastic, so hard to read), there is a date:20111003

You can find my version numbers in my previous post.

Last edited by clsdclsd; 09-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #131
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, the iMX507 doesn't have an e-Ink driver on board, but the iMX508 does.
As far as I remember, the difference between 508 and 507 is the lack of "openvg acceleration" (whatever this means :-))
Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #132
kumaryu
Zealot

i was hoping that some of the other members here might take a peek inside but I didn't want to encourage it in case it led to broken units...

I'm aware that Mainboard version numbers are not always present. Mine was printed on the circuit board adjacent to the socket for the battery cable.

The serial number was printed on an adhesive sticker (with a barcode) near the top edge of the battery bay towards the left.

Could you take a look at the external case (at the bottom) and tell us where (country) it was assembled?

The date on the battery is the production date for the battery.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #133
clsdclsd
Zealot

Quote:
i was hoping that some of the other members here might take a peek inside but I didn't want to encourage it in case it led to broken units...
I was afraid of ruin my device, but I gave it a try anyway, and found popping off the back panel really easy and did not feel it harmful. I also don't want anyone to blame me for breaking his reader, so do it your own risk :-)
Quote:
I'm aware that Mainboard version numbers are not always present. Mine was printed on the circuit board adjacent to the socket for the battery cable.
That's where I found the number mentioned above.
Quote:
The serial number was printed on an adhesive sticker (with a barcode) near the top edge of the battery bay towards the left.
There is no sticker there in mine, my barcoded number sticker is on the right side a bit lower than middle of the board.
Quote:
Could you take a look at the external case (at the bottom) and tell us where (country) it was assembled?
OK, so it does not require disassembly: my unit made in Taiwan :-)
Quote:
The date on the battery is the production date for the battery.
The battery has no date on it (but funnily it says "rechar9eable"), I found the mentioned date print on the removed back panel. (REALLY hard to spot, because of the unfortunate choice of ink colour)

Last edited by clsdclsd; 09-14-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #134
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Wow - take a day off from the thread and see what happens! The next version of the database is going to be a very different creature!

What is the technique for opening the Touch? I note clsdclsd says s/he did it with fingernails, but could you a bit more information on where the clips are? Photos, maybe, for the clumsier amongst us ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #135
clsdclsd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I note clsdclsd says s/he did it with fingernails, but could you a bit more information on where the clips are? Photos, maybe, for the clumsier amongst us ...
I know fingernail suggests a "she", but I'm a male :-) I've tried to push my nail in the gap between the cushion-designed back and the side, and found it slipping in at the right side about the 5/4rd to the top. A little pry to the side, and the corner released - from that it was easy. The clamps are unevenly distributed around the sides (and the "type" are also - there are 13 "females" and 3 "males" on the back) I can make some pictures if it necessary (because, for example, my english is not understandable, I know it needs some improvement) - but a little trial-and-error would work to anyone.