Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
nope.
and never did the older OP ones either. I think I'm probably on about the same technical level as those asking the q's above (and that's why I'm suggesting nchtrnman---extremely easy)

have you flashed back from any of the January OP's? getting the loop?

I am very anxious to try them, but gonna wait until they get all that stuff figured out.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
nope.
and never did the older OP ones either. I think I'm probably on about the same technical level as those asking the q's above (and that's why I'm suggesting nchtrnman---extremely easy)

have you flashed back from any of the January OP's? getting the loop?

I am very anxious to try them, but gonna wait until they get all that stuff figured out.
There is a lot of discussion churn on slatedroid recently that was caused by Pandigital's unofficial "release" of 3 OP firmware versions, and flood of new owners ($60 Kohl's clearance). Newbie questions injected into the technical discussion threads created a lot of "noise" resulting in confusion. This was aggravated by obsolete knowledge by the "experts"... knowledge that did not take into account the changes introduced by the latest flurry of OP firmware versions.

I have flashed my WPDN from the original firmware, to 11/19, to 1/3, to 1/11. I tried nchtrnman's firmware (I found it to be disorganized and likely confusing for less tech-savvy owners). I tried all of the custom firmware versions. I must have flashed and reflashed my WPDN nearly 2 dozen times in the course of 3-4 days.

Bouncing around between the OP firmware versions and non-OP versions does indeed introduce the danger of flash-looping. I did experience that when going from 1/3 OP to 11/19 (stock PDN). The cause for that looping was rooted in the advice that someone gave that it was not necessary to temporarily remove the internal microSD card. They claimed that simply pushing a file to the device they could avoid having to remove the card. That might have been correct with the original OP firmware released by Pandigital, but it is certainly not correct with the 1/3/11, 1/11/11, and 1/14/11 firmware versions.

BOTTOM LINE: The microSD card must be removed when installing ANY OP firmware. (I don't know why people are "scared" to remove the card... the PDN is designed to have the rear cover removed, just like a cell phone.)

Once I reset my microSD card and flashed the device back to 11/19. I was able to cleanly install 1/11 OP (while the microSD card was removed), reboot it, shutdown and insert the microSD card, and boot up and continue to configure it.

The configuration (along with respective links to slatedroid threads) that I posted in this thread results in a fully functional Android tablet. It is functionally equivalent to my Android smartphone except that the PDN can't make phone calls.

This configuration is clean, fast (for the hardware), and complete. It has a properly operating sleep function and reliable WiFi. It contains all of the original PDN apps. (including an updated B&N store/shelf/reader)

I will be sticking with this until a time when Pandigital officially releases a firmware that is equivalent to what I currently have.

If someone simply wants to turn their WPDN into an Android tablet, then I would recommend doing what I posted.... AFTER learning the procedures for flashing firmware, removing the microSD card, and generally getting familiar with the device.

BUT.....
...if someone wants to tinker with the WPDN, experiment, learn, and try different things, then I would discourage them from using this configuration (or ANY OP-based firmware). Although I have been able to go back and forth between OP and non-OP firmwares, I know that variations in individual devices could be unpredictable.

All that to say, the configuration that I'm using should be undertaken as a "final destination" not as just another option to test out.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for all the info, Willy.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post

All that to say, the configuration that I'm using should be undertaken as a "final destination" not as just another option to test out.

You're the man Willy

Hopefully after work I'll have time to start researching your posts and begin the transformation.....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Thanks for the info soondai......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
I was able to cleanly install 1/11 OP
So are you staying with 1/11 because you are concerned with flashing again, or did you try the 1/14 and not like it for some reason?

I ask because I am currently on 1/3 and was considering moving to 1/14.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #22
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
So are you staying with 1/11 because you are concerned with flashing again, or did you try the 1/14 and not like it for some reason?

I ask because I am currently on 1/3 and was considering moving to 1/14.
I tried 1/14. It had a slightly lower Quadrant benchmark score. 1/11 performs better than 1/3 and 1/14. I'd say that if you are pleased with 1/3 then stay with it. There is no visible difference and the performance difference is negligible and certainly not enough to risk bricking the unit. Relative to the other available firmware options, 1/3 and 1/11 are virtually identical. 1/3 is head-and-shoulders better than the custom firmware options available.

My advice, stick with 1/3 and add any patches you feel you need.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Mr. Willys Jeepman , thankyou. I want this tablet hacked and operating and never to mess with again. I have read your post over and over. I think I can successfully flash the firmware. However, this part needs some further clarification if you wouldn't mind.
"Apply the volkey patch... this turns the volume rocker into "menu" and "back" hard buttons.
Once that's installed, apply the 2D/3D graphics patch
And then apply the ARM11 optimized DVM w/JIT patch
And finally:
Install the Google Experience w/Android Market."
Could you elaborate on how you install these patches? The instructions on slatedroid are not sinking in clearly. Alot of "how" to apply these patches are omitted assuming the user already is familiar with applications..
Thanks for your posts, they are helping... I'm leaning towards your methods now and not the NCHTM..
I upgraded the Pandigital firmware from their site to find out if I have B or K and it is now at the 11-19 date and is a K model... I now have figurred that stands for Kohls.
I"m ready to roll, Should I remove the internal sd card or not? thanks
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #24
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Mr. Willys Jeepman , thankyou. I want this tablet hacked and operating and never to mess with again. I have read your post over and over. I think I can successfully flash the firmware. However, this part needs some further clarification if you wouldn't mind.
"Apply the volkey patch... this turns the volume rocker into "menu" and "back" hard buttons.
Once that's installed, apply the 2D/3D graphics patch
And then apply the ARM11 optimized DVM w/JIT patch
And finally:
Install the Google Experience w/Android Market."
Could you elaborate on how you install these patches? The instructions on slatedroid are not sinking in clearly. Alot of "how" to apply these patches are omitted assuming the user already is familiar with applications..
Thanks for your posts, they are helping... I'm leaning towards your methods now and not the NCHTM..
I upgraded the Pandigital firmware from their site to find out if I have B or K and it is now at the 11-19 date and is a K model... I now have figurred that stands for Kohls.
I"m ready to roll, Should I remove the internal sd card or not? thanks
The 11-19 firmware is the latest official release. If you ever have to reflash the device, use 11-19 (not the older official firmwares like 7-24 that many at slatedroid are recommending)

Here are the steps for applying the volkey patch... please note, this is done AFTER the 1/11 firmware has been flashed to the device. (and make sure that after you have flashed 1/11to your device that you power down, insert the microSD card and then power up again). Only proceed to apply the volkey patch after you have booted up with the microSD card in. Power down and boot up an additional time just to be safe.

The volkey patch is a .zip file that gets installed like a firmware. But the way it is packaged in that link I posted, it is a zip file within a zip file. You have to unzip that main zip file and you'll get a read-me and nested zip file.

You put it (that nested zip, filename = volkey_mod_update_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip) on an external SD card and make sure that it is the only .zip file on it. Remove any .apk files that you may have on that SD card. Play it safe and make sure that it is the only file on that SD card.

Make sure that your PDN is powered off, insert the SD card, press and hold the vol+ button and then press the power button and hold both on for 4 seconds. After 4 seconds, release it and eventually you'll see "Andy" and a graphic that shows it is applying the patch.

It is possible that you will see the progress bar move to 25%-30% and then blink and go back to 0% and progress to 25%-30%... if that happens it is called a "flash-loop". When a flash-loop happens when flashing firmware it can really hose the device up. But with this little patch, you can let it loop 2 or 3 times and then use a paper clip to reset. The device will reboot and you should boot up correctly with the volkey patch applied.

The subsequent tweaks (2D/3D graphics, ARM11 optimization, GE-Market) require that the Android SDK be installed on your PC so that you can push files to the device's protected area. So please keep that in mind... it gets a little more involved.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #25
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Stop the Presses!

Pandigital has now officially made their 1/14 OP firmware available via their downloader. What that means is that WPDN owners now have the option to upgrade their devices to an Android tablet while retaining ereader capabilities in a way that is supported by Pandigital. Here's the link to the downloader:

Pandigital Updater

Yes, the original B&N store and reader software (actually all of the original PDN software) is included and works.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 01-18-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: updated with the latest news regarding Pandigital's OP firmware
Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #26
cjrenick
cjrenick has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Literati
Quote:
Stop the Presses!

Here's a brand new firmware option that offers all of the speed and functionality of the 1/11 OP firmware without the danger of flash-looping! It has all of the key patches and hacks pre-applied so all you need to do is flash the firmware:

Alternate WPDN Firmware: Modified OP/Stock Hybrid 11/19/10 & 1/11/11 - KG

It is a hybrid firmware based on the stock 11/19 and OP 1/11 firmwares.... plus the 2D/3D Graphics patch, ARM11 optimization and Google Experience and Android Market.

This combination will offer the fastest and most stable firmware/configuration currently available. (including true sleep mode) This is superior to the standard 1/11 OP firmware that I was previously using.

Yes, the original B&N store and reader software (actually all of the original PDN software) is included and works.
Willy, I am currently running the latest Cruz fw. It seems like a really good fw, but I would like to have the B&N back so maybe I can view magazines. Do I need to flash my PND to another fw before doing this fw or just download and reflash.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #27
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrenick View Post
Willy, I am currently running the latest Cruz fw. It seems like a really good fw, but I would like to have the B&N back so maybe I can view magazines. Do I need to flash my PND to another fw before doing this fw or just download and reflash.
It is recommended to flash back to a stock firmware. Some recommend 7/24, I recommend 11/19. Then proceed to flash a custom firmware.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #28
soondai
Guru

And for what it's worth, the Pandigital site now has the 1/14 OP firmware available thru it's updater program, but it does not come with all the extra goodies built in (CPU and graphics).

I loaded it. Added 2 patches (root access and volume key). Hit the loop with those, but as Willy mentioned, this doesn't seem to be a danger when just flashing the patches. Used root explorer to change the SDK to 8 and added on Adobe Reader X.

So I've got it where I want it, but definitely sounds like the "Stop The Presses" build is the way to go.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #29
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
And for what it's worth, the Pandigital site now has the 1/14 OP firmware available thru it's updater program, but it does not come with all the extra goodies built in (CPU and graphics).

I loaded it. Added 2 patches (root access and volume key). Hit the loop with those, but as Willy mentioned, this doesn't seem to be a danger when just flashing the patches. Used root explorer to change the SDK to 8 and added on Adobe Reader X.

So I've got it where I want it, but definitely sounds like the "Stop The Presses" build is the way to go.
Absolutely. I'll go back and update my previous post (for those who won't read the entire thread. )

Using the 1/14 firmware officially offered by Pandigital is certainly the better way to go. (and as we have discovered, a one-way street... there's no easy way to go back... it's possible, but quite involved.)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #30
Eread Bill
Eread Bill began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel 7
Using the 1/14 firmware officially offered by Pandigital can you get the real Android Market
Eread Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, pandigital, rooting