Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
lllusion
Enthusiast
lllusion began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Oasis: What I Like and Dislike About It

I received an Oasis in the mail today. It's refurbished from ebay so it was a bit cheaper, allowing me to convince myself to get it. The contrast, lighting and cones, etc. all seem fine to me. This post isn't going to be much about that. I want to highlight my initial impressions and maybe hear back from other Oasis owners about them... I'm deciding between keeping and returning.

What I like:

1) The buttons! The buttons are amazing. I love simply hitting the button for the next page and the click feedback is great. It's faster to go to the next page with the Oasis than with my Paperwhite.

2) The weight difference is nice, but not necessarily a game changer to me because it's not too too much of a difference.

3) Putting the Oasis in the cover and removing it is a lot faster, the cover obviously charges and gives the whole unit more battery life, and it's all-in-all slightly more portable and convenient.

What I dislike:

1) The black matte around the paper screen reflects light, making it altogether more reflective than my Paperwhite. The whole square of the Oasis reflects ceiling panel lights when I'm walking around reading it indoors.

2) I'm not a fan of the lower right edge jutting into the thenar area of my thumb. I reversed the buttons so the lowest button goes to the next page so it doesn't have to touch that area. Ironically so far, I have initial feelings that lead me toward preference of handling the Paperwhite. However, habits and preferences with the Oasis haven't been established yet.

3) It definitely seems more like a new-tech tablet, whereas the Paperwhite seems closer to a book. The Oasis is very square, and tablet tech thin. The Paperwhite is shaped closer to a book and when I'm holding it, it feels more like one.

A few pictures below:

The Oasis gives me a "tech sci-fi holding a piece of glass that's a tablet" feel, so that screensaver is quite appropriate. However I have strong feelings for the older design too. The Paperwhite background is also an interesting coincidence.

Glare Example. After the first pic the other Kindle was swapped into the same position:

Now I ultimately have to decide if the ergonomic design of the Oasis is strong enough to "kindle" my desire for keeping it. Any thoughts/opinions about these factors?

Last edited by lllusion; 04-05-2017 at 05:59 PM.
lllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the person you bought it from allow returns? Most eBay sellers don't unless the product is faulty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
lllusion
Enthusiast

Yep they do - I specifically checked for that before buying.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Such a personal thing. I can't speak to the reflection issue as I don't have any such thing on my Oasis. I am guessing that depends on where the lights are. I can't say I ever had any such issue for as long as I had it. I don't think I have any overhead lights though where I read. I have a PW1 in the house and a Voyage and don't have those issues on any of them.

As far as it feeling not like a book, I was the exact opposite. I gladly gave the PW to my husband for various reasons. But I already had a Voyage before I go the Oasis so I was already used to the flat front without the bezel. Is that what you are talking about? That it has a flat sheet on front?

The buttons are a beauty. Its why I got the Oasis even though I already had the Voyage. There is no substitute for me for actual real buttons to change pages and having the space to rest my hand and thumb. As to the thumb thing, it took me about 2 weeks to figure out what the right setting for the buttons is and how to hold it. I have the bottom as next page and the corner of the Oasis doesn't actually touch anything on my hand anymore. I know what you mean though. Out the box they had the top as the forward and the way I had to hold it it cut into the area where the thumb goes into the hand.

That is though all depending on your size of hands and how you hold it. I have several different ways my hands go through as I read, I don't notice anymore. Have the little along the edge and so no corner goes into the palm. Its a bit hard to describe. Just play with it a bit and change the buttons. But give it a bit time with each setting and actually read so you'll see.

eta: I just walked into the kitchen with it where I do have overhead light. One of those long tube things 2 of them, fluorescent I think. I don't ever walk there while reading, I don't walk while reading at all. But to see about the reflection. I would have to hold it totally flat to see the light reflection, slightly. But even if i did read while walking, I wouldn't be able to hold the device totally horizontal, I'd have to tilt it to me face and then I don't see the light anymore.

So really, it comes down to if you like it to read on it. Don't nitpic, just sit down and actually read a book. Only then will you know if it works for you.

If you have a bit of time to decide as far as returning, I'd just relax and give it a test run in real reading enviroment. I know I am the same, we tend to stare at it and try to fiddle and look at this and that. Then when you finally get to reading you can tell.

Last edited by Atunah; 04-05-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
lllusion
Enthusiast

Thanks Atunah -- good to hear another perspective, especially from someone who has had more time with it. Yep I learned the "reverse button" trick real quick to avoid the bottom-right corner edge. See I pace around about half the time while reading, so any lighting changes/reflections are much more noticeable to me. That's why I'm a bit more obsessed about it. I think either are ultimately fine in that regard; reflectivity is not the biggest part of the decision. But one did strike me as more reflective than the other and it's a small consideration for my pacing and getting a bit distracted. As for the flat sheet on the front, yup, it certainly a change over from the Paperwhite. That's what makes me feel like I'm holding a small tablet/glass panel tech piece compared to the experience with the indent of the Paperwhite.

I really need to see (with more time) if it is truly more comfortable. I was expecting to be blown away by the comfort and ergonomics of it, but surprisingly I'm not so far. That said, it is indeed very cool as to how minimalist it is. I feel like I'm holding a little ghost and the text is hovering in front of me as I pace along - that's really cool. I also tried making it horizontal but I didn't find a comfortable holding pattern for that.

Last edited by lllusion; 04-05-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllusion View Post
That's what makes me feel like I'm holding a small tablet/glass panel tech piece compared to the experience with the indent of the Paperwhite.
I've never felt like I'm holding a book with any of my e-ink readers. I've always thought of them as reading gadgets. And that's perfectly fine with me, because I vastly prefer them to paper books. That's why I got them in the first place. Why should I even want to think of them as books is totally beyond me, but to each his/her own, I guess.

Quote:
I really need to see (with more time) if it is truly more comfortable. I was expecting to be blown away by the comfort and ergonomics of it, but surprisingly I'm not so far.
Well, all I can say to that is give it a little time. The ergonomics was the main reason I got my Oasis (I already had the Voyage and was quite satisfied with it) and the comfort of holding it was just as I had expected. I kept the Oasis only because of this comfort, I was a bit disappointed with its screen; my Voyage has somewhat better screen and better contrast. The Oasis, OTOH, feels so much better in my hand. So I decided to keep them both and switch between them, and that's exactly what I've been doing. I don't really prefer one to the other. They're both very good, in different ways.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #7
lllusion
Enthusiast

I guess what I mean is I get a more "classic" feel with it. It makes sense that I would because it's more rectangular and thus it more closely resembles my reading experience all throughout my life.

I just swapped the button setup back to default and set it horizontal (so left button goes back, right goes forward). I think this is my favorite Oasis style so far after all. I think what was sort of bugging me was the lack of symmetry to be honest. I know it's asymmetrically designed on purpose for balancing in one hand in normal mode. etc. But wow, for me in horizontal it has a lot of even weight and it also features a lot of horizontal space for more margin length (obviously Paperwhite/Voyager/etc. can do the same, but not with weight symmetry). Any Oasis users prefer horizontal primarily? I bet it's the minority but I could see myself getting used to it.

And Sirtel, that's pretty nice how you enjoy the variety of going back and forth. Maybe I'll fall into that usage mode as well eventually. Glad for the opinions so far everyone, thanks very much.

Last edited by lllusion; 04-05-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Any Oasis users prefer horizontal primarily? I bet it's the minority but I could see myself getting used to it.
Yes, the Oasis feels perfect in landscape mode. That is, when I'm holding it in my left hand. When I hold it in my right hand, I prefer the portrait mode. It sounds bizarre, but that's simply the way it is and I can't help it. So I change orientation from horizontal to vertical or vice versa every time I switch hands. Fortunately, the Oasis is so lightweight that I can go a long time without switching, otherwise it would be a real nuisance.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I can't hold it "sideways". Has to be portrait. My hands don't go that way in a comfortable way. They'd have to turn around like a pretzel.
I also don't like reading on a screen shaped like that. Much wider than tall that is.

But whatever works for one. Whats important is that you are comfortable reading on it.

I am just so happy they came out with it. For my hands and how I read its about perfect and now I don't drop the kindles anymore like I did with the Voyage. The bezels on it are just too small for me. I had nothing to grab onto. With the Oasis, I don't have to try. They gave me plenty real estate and my beloved buttons.
I feel like I have gone full circle from the K1 in 2008 to the Oasis in 2016. Only those 2 devices were ergonomically made for hands in my opinion. And it shows. So much lighter now though. Wedge shape rules.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
lllusion
Enthusiast

Okay the Oasis really grew on me a lot! My main preference is horizontal because of the symmetry and even weight distribution, plus the wide margins COMBINED with the super light weight. So awesome! I jailbroke it last night and put custom screensavers on it so it feels a lot more customized and tailored to me.

Atunah I am glad you love yours and chimed in on behalf of the Oasis. Funny how each of us are so set on our own ergonomic preferences. Horizontal is alien to you and you like it vertical with the weight shifted to one hand yet I still just can't get used to it, despite all of your fine reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, the Oasis feels perfect in landscape mode. That is, when I'm holding it in my left hand. When I hold it in my right hand, I prefer the portrait mode. It sounds bizarre, but that's simply the way it is and I can't help it. So I change orientation from horizontal to vertical or vice versa every time I switch hands. Fortunately, the Oasis is so lightweight that I can go a long time without switching, otherwise it would be a real nuisance.
Hopefully you don't have to swap the button layout each time too. :x

I'm going to pay more attention to how the battery is depleting because after just one session (naked without the cover), it appears to be at around 90% or so. That seems like a lot of battery depletion for me for an hour or so of use.

Last edited by lllusion; 04-07-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One thing though is I'm going to pay more attention to how the battery is depleting because after just one session (naked without the cover), it appears to be at around 90% or so. That seems like a lot of battery depletion for me for an hour or so of use.
No, it's about what you'd expect. You'll probably get about 7h or so reading time from the internal battery.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
lllusion
Enthusiast

Oh wow. Thanks for the info..

Admittedly I did not pay much of any attention to the battery specifics when I bought it. When amazon measured battery in weeks I interpreted it as crappy "marketing speak" and just figured it'd last for my intended purposes before being near a charger again. Not a deal-breaker to me anyway. If I go on a long trip in the woods at least I'll have the Paperwhite as a backup.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The main battery of the Oasis is in the cover. The device itself just holds enough charge for a lengthy reading session. Put it back in the cover at the end of your session and the reader recharges from the cover.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
lllusion
Enthusiast

Yeah I'm aware of that. I guess my post made it sound like I wasn't. I was just surprised how fast the internal battery was depleting compared to the norm - but it makes sense. It's only part of the battery power of the entire product.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, exactly.