Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Lightbulb Reading App for Marshmallow 6.0 devices with books on microSD card

I've just upgraded from Lollipop (5.1.1) to Marshmallow (6.0) on my Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen.

I found that both my installed reading apps, CoolReader and Moon+ Reader, were unable to access the microSD card from within the app. As the problem appears to be widespread I'm assuming other apps have the same problem.

It appears this is because of changes made to the file path used by Marshmallow for the micoSD card and appears to affect many devices from my research trying to find out why this was happening and for finding a solution.

It is possible to open Epubs from the microSD card using Moon+ Reader and CoolReader GL, but it can only be done by locating the book in a file manager and then selecting the Open option. A very longwinded way of opening a book if you read on an Android device regularly.

I have found that the Pocketbook app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.reader&hl=en) can locate the microSD card and open books directly.

To find your microSD card, open the Menu and select 'Folders'. You need to find a folder called 'Storage' and open it. In there you will find a folder with a name something like 1234-5678 (the name appears to be different for each card). This is your microSD card. Now you can navigate as usual.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a number of phones with various versions of Android, from 4.x to 6.1 (I think). Several of these have the problem you're describing, however Moon+ can open books on their cards on any of them. What it can't do is write a book to the card.

I don't have a Moto G with a card. Mine is the original one with no card. But I do have a Moto E with a card and I keep all my books on the card. This uses Android 5.something and it does have the problem of being unable to write to the card except with built-in apps. Any app can read from the card.

I navigate to that card with Moon+ to open a book. That's never been a problem. But I worry about it not being able to write position information so if I'm going to keep reading a book I'll move it into main storage. I'm not sure I really have to do that but it's easy enough and it avoids potential problems.

I'm not sure if my answer has actually helped but if it has, good. If not, maybe explain a little more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
This shouldn't be an issue for Android 5 and earlier only Android 6.

Your comments were helpful.

Just re-installed Moon+ Reader Pro & I can now access the microSD card.

It looks as though you need uninstall & re-install Moon+ Reader (and possibly other reading apps) before it can access the card when you upgrade to Android 6.

Still no joy with CoolReader though.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I have the Moto X Pure Edition - it came with Marshmallow 6.0

Google, in its wisdom decided that the external SD card was either to be used for media (music, movies, books??) and nothing else. The other option was to format the card for extra storage for apps that could put extra data there. No mixing allowed.

If you can't do books and your card is media - then books belong in the data category. You will just have to find a reader to cope.

BTW - you can write to the regular internal memory and transfer to Ext. card via a good file manager. I'm using solid and it does split screen in landscape.

This has been a major complaint in all forums. The 6.0.1 update coming out now is doing the same. It will probably get corrected later than sooner.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
I just upgraded to android 6 as well (i know i'm behind the times). When trying to perform a backup to my sd card (where my books are located) with moon reader pro i get this error:

Backup Failed
Attempt to invoke
virtual method 'void
java.io.outputstream.write(int)' on
a null object reference

Has there been any new ideas/workarounds that will allow backing up of my files?

Thanks for any help you can lend, Tom

Last edited by tomx2; 09-02-2019 at 04:08 PM.
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert