Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
ZeroTX
New Reader
ZeroTX began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Color
When is the big update coming??

We've been talked up by B&N staff and others about the upcoming update, so where is it?? It's January now. Did they mean January 31st? Where's our pinch-zoom browser, our app store, etc? I'm ready now! Even for a beta version.
ZeroTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Is this a color or classic Nook question? As too often the case, we cannot tell.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"pinch zoom browser, app store, January..." + "NOOK Color" in the Device profile =

Obviously referring to the Color. And to repeat again, B&N never said January, they indicated Q1, 2011. "January" was a false report by Smartphone Magazine...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
It is only obvious to those who are familiar with the Color. To me, none of the terms mentioned mean anything. You are right about his profile though. I'll check there next time.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
1/17/11 - 3/31/11 or so I would gather since everything close to "official" B&N ALWAYS reference Q1/11...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
I would say the updates won't be coming soon, at least for the next two months or so. My guess is until Amazon or others don't come up with a ereader that is on par with NC in terms of color touchscreen, price and functionality, B&N can just take it easy.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Mark_O
Mark_O began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
If the OP would like to revise the thread title with NOOKcolor, so that folks know what he's talking about and can find it, I'll attempt to answer it.

- Mark
Mark_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
If the OP would like to revise the thread title with NOOKcolor, so that folks know what he's talking about and can find it, I'll attempt to answer it.

- Mark
Heh nice first post
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
ikonixx
Insert Witty Title Here
ikonixx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I would like to see the update tomorrow but since they said Q1 I'm sure they'll probably wait till March to roll it out. Oh well, I still love my Nook Color!
ikonixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Rant:
Apparently some people don't check the tags on threads. This thread is clearly tagged as "Color".
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Rant:
Apparently some people don't check the tags on threads. This thread is clearly tagged as "Color".
Someone added it. It previously didn't have a tag.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
According to someone on another forum who claims to work at B&N in the electronics dept, (take that for what it is ) he said that the upgrade will not allow access to the marketplace, although there will be a few more reader oriented apps available.

Obviously, we won't know until it gets here, but it seems that B&N is taking the control freak approach (ala Apple) and will never market the Nook as a real tablet. My personal opinion is that it seems they're looking to get a lock on the reader market by making their reader better and keeping it proprietary for maximum profit down the road. Again, it is my opinion that this is a mistake. It's a big gamble on their part.

I've rooted, and couldn't be happier. If B&N never updated anything, I wouldn't care. The B&N reader functionally is not affected, and I can get anything else I want in the Android world now. And most of it is free or really inexpensive.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB View Post
According to someone on another forum who claims to work at B&N in the electronics dept, (take that for what it is ) he said that the upgrade will not allow access to the marketplace, although there will be a few more reader oriented apps available.

Obviously, we won't know until it gets here, but it seems that B&N is taking the control freak approach (ala Apple) and will never market the Nook as a real tablet. My personal opinion is that it seems they're looking to get a lock on the reader market by making their reader better and keeping it proprietary for maximum profit down the road. Again, it is my opinion that this is a mistake. It's a big gamble on their part.

Az
I wouldn't call it a big gamble. It's more like their only choice. They can't realisitically expect to compete with the likes of Samsung, Dell, HP, etc, etc on a long term basis. Or even through the end of this year. Their only chance is to is to offer a different experience than the major manufacturers and capitalize on that.

Even then, their future is questionable. They are going to have to rely on their bookstore and good reading applications to survive. In my opinion anyway.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
From what we've been told, expect an Android update in January sometime and access to apps of some sort closer to March.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I wouldn't call it a big gamble. It's more like their only choice. They can't realisitically expect to compete with the likes of Samsung, Dell, HP, etc, etc on a long term basis. Or even through the end of this year. Their only chance is to is to offer a different experience than the major manufacturers and capitalize on that.

Even then, their future is questionable. They are going to have to rely on their bookstore and good reading applications to survive. In my opinion anyway.
BN certainly compete with others if they want - they have excellent marketing, a great in-store experience that's totally differentiated when compared to Apple and their in-store people are generally of a higher caliber than the Best Buy drones. They also have a fantastic device at a great price point (in fact I think that they left money on the table when setting the price - it could have been $269 or $279).
If they could tighten up their customer service a bit, and work with the people who are expanding the breadth of the Color Nook, they could have a killer product.

Unfortunately, their senior management is probably focused on remaining solvent - too bad since if they miss this potential opportunity to have one of the best tablets around, they'll probably sell themselves to another Company - in fact, their Board of Directors is exploring this avenue now.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth