Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
domenan
domenan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Looking for convert bin with svg support

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a svg file to png withing the kindle 3, but to do that I need a version of convert witch has been compiled with support for svg files.
Currently I'm using the bin which comes with linkss package which I found on this forum.

Can anybody help me?

I also tried to find a module that allows me to do the same in python but no luck.
I tried with cairosvg and wand but both modules need libs that are not in the kindle (wand) or are not meant to run on python 2.7 (cairosvg).
domenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't build IM with SVG support because that'd require another dependency (in IM's case, librsvg, which depends on a crapload of stuff, so, nooooope).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You best self-contained bet is probably nanosvg + stb_iw, roughly like this nanosvg example
Old 09-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
domenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You best self-contained bet is probably nanosvg + stb_iw, roughly like this nanosvg example
Thanks for the suggestion.
I never compiled on a kindle. Do you know where I can find a guide?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@domenan: All the gory details you could ever want to know about my cross toolchains are in the x-tc package in the Snapshots thread, but for a first foray into the abyss, the KOReader frontend to that might be more approachable .

EDIT: Possibly hard-dep on a Linux box/VM. macOS *might* work, but is not guaranteed to and may require some manual fiddling, and Win32 is... hellish, so, going with nope on that one.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-06-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
domenan

It's more complicated than I hoped. Possibly because I didn't compile in C for almost 15 years and also because I don't have a clue how to use a cross toolchain.

Looks like I'm stuck for now.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Here's a very simple/naive binary, built out of that example (albeit slightly tweaked to use the first argument as the input filename, and with an updated stb_iw lib).
Attached Files
File Type: gz svg2png-k3.tar.gz (64.6 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-08-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Fixed build
Old 09-08-2018, 03:21 AM   #8
domenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Here's a very simple/naive binary, built out of that example (albeit slightly tweaked to use the first argument as the input filename, and with an updated stb_iw lib).
Thanks for your time NiLuJe.

The binary is giving me this error "/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found".
I believe that kindle use libc 2.5.

How can I solve it?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oops, my bad, forgot CPPFLAGS when building.

The updated package should work .
Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
domenan

Unfortunately the binary render only lines but ignore text and images.

I found a workaround. Instead of using svg files, I'm using only png files which make the script a bit slower but it works.

This is the final image :

And here is the link to the GIT
Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@domenan: It seems to behave as expected on my end (with relatively simple images/icons), bearing in mind the known restrictions of NanoSVG's simple rasterizer :?.

As for text, IM has a FreeType module that can do the job. It's far from efficient, but it works, I'm using it in the ScreenSavers hack .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Tags
convert, kindle 3, python, svg