Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question watch prime move offline after it is no loner on prime

so I have a new HD 10 with lots of storage. does nyone know what happens if I download for later a prime movie that it about to leave prime
will I still be able to watch my downloaded version after the movie has reverted to a piy to watch status , or would that be too good to be true

also goes anyone know, if I download for later at highest quality,, is that the same quality as wacthing the 1080p HD stream , or not quite as good.
same question for netflix download for later
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Any Movies you don't own will Vanish after the Rental time is up OR If you Fail to Re-New your prime membership Same with Netflix.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not asking about rentals.
Q is I download for later to watch offline. Then that show leaves prime or leaves netflix. Is my download zapped next time my tablet goes online.
I have twice been burned by part watched stuff leaving prime. I was 90 mins into cloudy atlas when they pulled that movie
Old 12-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
It is Zapped No you don't even need to be online for it to be Zapped!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
It is Zapped No you don't even need to be online for it to be Zapped!
how can that happen. Surely if a device is offline its downloaded content is safe ?
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

i suppose i could test this. i see amazon video now has a list of " titles leaving prime soon".
David Lynch's Dune is on that list, have not re-watched that in years so i may download it for later , wait for it to leave prime, then see if it works, & see if it has aged well, or not.

the 2 things I was caught out on this year: an obscure Belgian TV series called Salamander- not that great but it left prime before i could watch the last 2 episodes and it took ages to find a and download a crap alt. version just to see how it ended.
and then the 3 hour movie Cloud Atlas. I was half way through when they pulled that from prime. It took a week of searching to find another source and then immense frustration finding a subtitle file that would sync correctly

PS does anyone have a view on the full HD stream quality vs the highest quality download for later file.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be that when you download something to watch later that the date it's leaving is also downloaded so when that date arrives, the content can be removed regardless of online or offline.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It could be that when you download something to watch later that the date it's leaving is also downloaded so when that date arrives, the content can be removed regardless of online or offline.
maybe - but for that to work consistently Amazon would have to decide , maybe years ahead, when a show would be leaving prime, and I doubt they know that themselves [ unless the buy fixed term licences for every show]

For live streaming there is clearly a daily check, hence the getting stuck 1/2 way thru something. and I would not want to have to keep the tablet offline to finish a series as that makes it pretty useless for most other things
I guess I will have to test it. Potentially it is a good use for the 32GB that I will otherwise never fill with apps n stuff.
I could ask amazon CS but that usually a frustrating experience
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
maybe - but for that to work consistently Amazon would have to decide , maybe years ahead, when a show would be leaving prime, and I doubt they know that themselves [ unless the buy fixed term licences for every show]

For live streaming there is clearly a daily check, hence the getting stuck 1/2 way thru something. and I would not want to have to keep the tablet offline to finish a series as that makes it pretty useless for most other things
I guess I will have to test it. Potentially it is a good use for the 32GB that I will otherwise never fill with apps n stuff.
I could ask amazon CS but that usually a frustrating experience
When a show/movie (non-Amazon) is put up on Prime, Amazon does know when it's going as they've made the deal for how long it will be available. Just because they don't tell the customer does not mean they don't know. They do know.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
PS does anyone have a view on the full HD stream quality vs the highest quality download for later file.
I have random thoughts, but no hard facts. Amazon adjusts the stream quality depending on the quality of your internet connection at the time. Speed of your connection is a primary factor, but quality can also be reduced when there are random problems on the interent, etc. which is why you'll see bitrate reports comparing the different services that don't always seem to match up (some will say Amazon is better, some iTunes, some Vudu, etc.). The download on the other hand is going to be of a standard quality throughout. I don't know however, as I've never seen any bitrate comparisons between a stream and download from Amazon if you're getting the top end of things with the download or if it's been downgraded at all to keep the file size smaller. Some services also send a different file quality depending on the device it's being downloaded to, but I don't know if Amazon does that or not.

I've downloaded a fair amount of Prime stuff for offline use on a tablet and never had any qualms about the quality vs when I streamed to the same device, but can't say I thought it was any better/worse either.

I do seem to recall that for downloaded stuff it's the download is only good for so long without the device being connected to the internet so keep that in mind if you're planning to store any Prime content for an extended period. As I recall it's somewhere along the lines of needed to watch it no longer than 14-30 days after downloading (depending on the license with the studio) and once you start watching it something like 48-72 hours to finish it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Good point about the licences timing out offline.
I just downloaded for later the dune movie. Over 2 hours movie length, and , at the highest quality download setting, but the download size was under 1gb so either it is hevc compressed, or its not the full on 1080p live stream
I am now waiting for that movie to leave prime, so I can test some more
Old 12-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Under 1GB, wow that's small...

Dune doesn't appear for me as a Prime title, but I do happen to have it on Amazon (sync'd through my Movies Anywhere account) and for the heck of it I thought I'd download it to my cheap 2015 Fire 7 since it's sitting here next to me. The file on that is reported by the Fire as being 1,006 MB (on a non-HD device) when downloaded at "Best" quality.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard

The prime selection will vary by country. It was on amazon.Co. UK prime this afternoon. I am Not typing on that tablet now so I cannot immediately check but I think 900mb approx. Amazon may be smart enough to go: "if the device has h265 hardware decode, we can send a hevc compressed file"
I.e. choose the format based on the the device capabilities, like with kindle book formats.
I know they use hevc compression for their 4k stuff, maybe they use it for hd also to save on transmit bandwidth. I think the fire devices have video hardware that is optimized for decoding amazon's own encoding, they use that as a rationale to restrict other android tablets to sd quality
Old 12-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

i found 3 helpful facts in amazon help.
1 confirms that best rate downloads sizes are about 500gb per hour.
2, that the most you can download from prime video is 15 items across all devices [ so I cant fill the 32GB onboard, let alone the other 32GB on SD card! ]
3. that after an unspecified ( but short) period)video downloads will need re-authorising online for you to be able to watch
not so great, when you read the small print!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

I have a test result. Notnthe outcome i wanted. The movie Dune is now removed from prime. I went to my downloads, where I had saved it previously, pressed play and I am bounced to the rent or buy screen.
So a download from prime stops working once prime status is removed. I did not bother to try aeroplane mode. The download is quite old, that movie took a long time to leave prime, after being tagged as leaving soon, so a licence check was probably overdue