Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 03:51 AM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@GeoffR
Implementing replace_utf8chars might be less work than building the keyboard patches as you do it now (and users could easily make there own keyboard patches). For completeness I mention that replace_utf8chars writes for each character 4 bytes that contain the utf8 representation (if the utf8 representation is shorter than 4 bytes, zero bytes are appended on the right side).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
hmm, if we're going by standard hebrew qwerty, it'd be:

ROW 1:
q = @ (actually it's a forward slash, but I'd rather have the At sign)
w = . (actually it's an apostrophe, see above)
e = ק U+05E7
r = ר U+05E8
t = א U+05D0
y = ט U+05D8
u = ו U+05D5
i = ן U+05DF
o = ם U+05DD
p = פ U+05E4
- = - (no change)

ROW 2:
a = ש U+05E9
s = ד U+05D3
d = ג U+05D2
f = כ U+05DB
g = ע U+05E2
h = י U+05D9
j = ח U+05D7
k = ל U+05DC
l = ך U+05DA
@ = ף U+05E3
_ = _ (no change)

ROW 3:
z = ז U+05D6
x = ס U+05E1
c = ב U+05D1
v = ה U+05D4
b = נ U+05E0
n = מ U+05DE
m = צ U+05E6
, = ת U+05EA
. = ץ U+05E5

with this layout there's no place for a comma, if you can put it instead of Shift or ".com" it would be great (there's absolutely no use for Shift in Hebrew, not even diacritics). of course not necessary, since it's probably also in the symbol section ("#&+").

thanks a lot, again.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
with this layout there's no place for a comma, if you can put it instead of Shift or ".com" it would be great (there's absolutely no use for Shift in Hebrew, not even diacritics). of course not necessary, since it's probably also in the symbol section ("#&+").
I've posted a patch for formware 3.12.1 in the developer's forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=24

I added the comma, apostrophe, and slash too:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hebrew1.png
Views:	347
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	134767   Click image for larger version

Name:	hebrew2.png
Views:	383
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	134768  
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #19
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Forgot to say thanks - so a big thank you for doing it so quickly. though I have no way to test this yet as my device. I'll report here after I've tried it.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM   #20
mamado
mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mamado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
For completeness, part of the patch (book titles) broke in 3.15.0, to fix it one will need to use an extra patch from tshering, check here for details.
mamado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #21
ihabb
ihabb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have a patch for firmware 3.12.1 that fixes the Arabic title problem by changing the title font style from italic to normal. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=17
Is there an updated Arabic title patch for version 3.19.5761. I get an error when I try to install: "replace_string address beyond end of input file". I have
tried to insert it in each of files: libadobe.so, libnickel.so.1.0.0, librmsdk.so.1.0.0 and it all generated same error. Your help is much appreciated.
ihabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihabb View Post
Is there an updated Arabic title patch for version 3.19.5761. I get an error when I try to install: "replace_string address beyond end of input file". I have
tried to insert it in each of files: libadobe.so, libnickel.so.1.0.0, librmsdk.so.1.0.0 and it all generated same error. Your help is much appreciated.
There are updated patches for firmware 3.19.5761 including Arabic Keyboard in the attachment to post #1 in the Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5761 thread.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
ihabb

Quote:
There are updated patches for firmware 3.19.5761 including Arabic Keyboard in the attachment to post #1 in the Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5761 thread.
Thank you for your reply. I wanted to port patch regarding Arabic book titles (not necessarily keyboard patch). Particularly one you provided in following post, where book titles font style is changed from italic to normal:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=17
Old 09-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihabb View Post
Thank you for your reply. I wanted to port patch regarding Arabic book titles (not necessarily keyboard patch). Particularly one you provided in following post, where book titles font style is changed from italic to normal:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=17

Sorry, I completely misread your post.

I wasn't able to find how to remove the italics from the book titles in later firmware, I think others might have found a different way to solve the problem, maybe by installing a font that has italic arabic glyphs defined?, but I don't know how it works. I noticed this post by tshering for example.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 AM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard

OK the solution is actually quite simple, there is no need for a patch.

I just tried modifying a font by adding the Arabic glyphs from the Regular/Bold variants to the Italic/BoldItalic variants, and now the Arabic book titles are displayed on my Glo (firmware 3.19.5761).
Old 09-27-2016, 03:59 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
See also these two approaches:
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard

I'll just describe what I did to get Arabic book titles showing in the device library on my Glo (firmware 3.19.5761), because it might not work with all fonts:

I used the free DejaVu Sans font

1. Open DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf in fontforge
2. Use the Merge Fonts function to merge DejaVuSans.ttf
3. Change PS Names > Fontname from DejaVuSans-Oblique to DejaVuSans-Italic
4. Change PS Names > Name For Humans from "DejaVu Sans Oblique" to "DejaVu Sans Italic"
5. File > Generate Fonts to generate DejaVuSans-Italic.ttf

6. Open DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf in fontforge
7. Use the Merge Fonts function to merge DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf
8. Change PS Names > Fontname from DejaVuSans-BoldOblique to DejaVuSans-BoldItalic
9. Change PS Names > Name For Humans from "DejaVu Sans Bold Oblique" to "DejaVu Sans Bold Italic"
10. Change TTF Names > Styles (Subfamily) from Bold Oblique to BoldItalic
11. File > Generate Fonts to generate DejaVuSans-BoldItalic.ttf

(I'm not sure if all of those steps are strictly necessary, but that is what I did.)

Then just sideload the DejaVuSans.ttf DejaVuSans-Italic.ttf DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf DejaVuSans-BoldItalic.ttf as usual and reboot the device. (Note that immediately after booting, the Arabic titles will still show as squares until a book is opened causing the extra fonts to be loaded.)

Edit: If anyone knows of a free font that has Arabic glyphs already included in the Italic variants, then it would be much simpler just to sideload that font.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-27-2016 at 04:42 AM. Reason: a free font that has Arabic glyphs already included in the Italic variants?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:18 AM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard

And here is a much simpler solution: Just sideload the free Amiri font (I used amiri-0.108.zip) which has Italic Arabic glyphs, renaming the files:

amiri-regular.ttf --> Amiri-Regular.ttf
amiri-slanted.ttf --> Amiri-Italic.ttf
amiri-bold.ttf --> Amiri-Bold.ttf
amiri-boldslanted.ttf --> Amiri-BoldItalic.ttf

That is all, no patching or font modification needed (for firmware 3.19.5761 at least.)

Edit: Note that this font displays the book titles in bold because it has incorrect PANOSE weights. That would need to be fixed if you want to use it for reading KePubs, but it seems to work okay in the ePub reader.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-27-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: book titles display as bold
Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #29
ihabb

Quote:
And here is a much simpler solution: Just sideload the free Amiri font (I used amiri-0.108.zip) which has Italic Arabic glyphs, renaming the files:

amiri-regular.ttf --> Amiri-Regular.ttf
amiri-slanted.ttf --> Amiri-Italic.ttf
amiri-bold.ttf --> Amiri-Bold.ttf
amiri-boldslanted.ttf --> Amiri-BoldItalic.ttf

That is all, no patching or font modification needed (for firmware 3.19.5761 at least.)

Edit: Note that this font displays the book titles in bold because it has incorrect PANOSE weights. That would need to be fixed if you want to use it for reading KePubs, but it seems to work okay in the ePub reader.
This worked and it's simple. Thank you for your help and all the useful information.

Tags
arabic, aura, kobo