Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
hknight
hknight began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905
Unhappy Hello! and please help!!

Question Hello! and please help!!
I came to the forum hoping to find advice concerning my Kobo Touch. I hope that I can get some help!!

I was loading some books via the desktop app, then disconnected it and found an error message saying device was full (totally not true), then suddenly the screen went black and has been that way for hours with a tiny code in the corner reading

^[[1˜_

I've tried to do various resets but it stays unresponsive. Only the power light continuously flashes blue, then solid green when i try and charge it.

I would be so greatful for any help as I just loaded the final book in the Wool trilogy!!!

Thanks!!
hknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hknight View Post
Question Hello! and please help!!
I came to the forum hoping to find advice concerning my Kobo Touch. I hope that I can get some help!!

I was loading some books via the desktop app, then disconnected it and found an error message saying device was full (totally not true), then suddenly the screen went black and has been that way for hours with a tiny code in the corner reading

^[[1˜_

I've tried to do various resets but it stays unresponsive. Only the power light continuously flashes blue, then solid green when i try and charge it.

I would be so greatful for any help as I just loaded the final book in the Wool trilogy!!!

Thanks!!
Have you tried the hardware factory reset procedure?
  1. Hold the power switch for 20 seconds
  2. Release the power switch
  3. Press and hold the home button
  4. Slide the power button and hold until the LED turns on
  5. Release the power button
  6. Wait until the LED starts flashing rapidly
  7. Release the home button
  8. Hopefully, it will finish the factory reset
  9. Do any firmware updates, reload your books
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
hknight

Thanks for the message!

I've tried a couple of varriations but not this.
How long would you expect for the power LED to start flashing as I held it for quite a while (whilst holding the home button) but it doesnt seem to be coming on :/
Yes i ejected it both from the sidebar and the kobo desktop manager.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the message!

I've tried a couple of varriations but not this.
How long would you expect for the power LED to start flashing as I held it for quite a while (whilst holding the home button) but it doesnt seem to be coming on :/
Yes i ejected it both from the sidebar and the kobo desktop manager.
You need to turn the Kobo off first which the reason for holding the power button for 20 seconds and then releasing it. Then you press and hold the home button and then press the power button. I haven't factory reset a Touch in quite a while but seem to remember it only took a couple of seconds for the LED to come on and less than 10 seconds for the rapid flashing.

You might also want to plug your Touch into a charger for a couple of hours before doing this -- I've seen several ereaders that seem to have dumped their battery charge for no known reason.

As an alternate, you can press and hold the home button and then press/release the pinhole reset switch. Release the home switch when the LED discos.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
hknight

Thanks for your replies! I think i have the issue sorted - at least past black screen of death!
Just another variation on the factory reset in the end, ensuring it had been charged for at least 2hours:

1. Slide and hold down the powder button for 5 seconds to ensure the device has powered off.

2. While holding the Home button, slide and release the Power button while continuing to hold the Home button.

3. When the light on the eReader turns white and begins to blink rapidly, release the Home button.

4. Your Kobo Touch will reset to the out-of-box settings.

I guess the reset wasnt working before because of low charge or holding the home/power buttons too long.

Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks for your replies! I think i have the issue sorted - at least past black screen of death!
Just another variation on the factory reset in the end, ensuring it had been charged for at least 2hours:

I guess the reset wasnt working before because of low charge or holding the home/power buttons too long.

Thanks again!
Good to hear that you are back in business. Yes, sometimes, the hardware factory reset can be a bit twitchy.

Tags
blank screen, error code, kobo touch