Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Unfortunately, Android is a terrible OS for a tablet. I would much prefer some sort of Linux distro, like MEEGO, over Android. Blackberry Playbook looks like a winner too. iPads are awesome though. It will be a tough fight. I just don't see Android tablets coming out on top when everyone who knows the OS knows that it was made strictly for phones and they are just now starting to adapt it to tablets.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/the-di...-android/38260 - this is an interesting article about phones (off topic I know). If I had to choose a tablet right this moment to buy, it would hands down be the iPad. I won't buy an Android tablet again.
I think mileage may vary. It depends one what you think a tablet should do. If you expect it to be a full-function computer then yeah...you need something like linux or Win7-tablet.

And while Android 2.2 does not currently handle larger tablet sizes (neither does apple ios at the moment). Android 3.0 is slated to handle larger screens (I'm not sure about any additional functionality ... if any).

Otherwise.....I'm quite happy with what my Droid X with 2.2 can do.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
While I don't expect my tablet to be a laptop, I do expect it to handle larger screens. Definately an opinion though, and only one of the reasons I don't think Android is a good tablet OS. We will see if 3.0 can make it better, but one thing I don't like is that many devices with Android have limitations on which version it can handle. This is true with older iOS stuff too, but not to as great an extent.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert