Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #106
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I have to ask, what is the fascination with the new line of ereaders really starting to push the use of touch screens? I can see some benefits to usability of the device with a touch screen, but I can't think of anything worse than trying to sit back, enjoy reading whilst trying to not focus on dirty fingerprints on the screen.
Well, I'm happy with the 505 as it serves my needs, but if you want things like dictionary lookup or search you will need some kind of input device. That means either onboard keyboard like the Kindle *shudder* or some kind of external input device or a touchscreen. I'm not for touchscreens on these devices but you could use a stylus if the fingerprints or bears bother you.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #107
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I think no one have posted this yet.. I found this picture over at Pixel Qi, they compare their screen with a kindle. It looks really nice to me. Oh. They also say that the mass production of screens for netbooks and e-reader will start late 2009
PS. I tried to insert the picture but it got to big so I'll just post the link instead!

Last edited by mikaelalind; 09-22-2009 at 09:11 AM.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #108
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I have to ask, what is the fascination with the new line of ereaders really starting to push the use of touch screens? I can see some benefits to usability of the device with a touch screen, but I can't think of anything worse than trying to sit back, enjoy reading whilst trying to not focus on dirty fingerprints on the screen.
For me it only matters when they add in a stylus for writing notes, and have full web browsing etc.

I don't have any desire for a touch screen on a dedicated e-ink screen. I'd rather push buttons to turn pages, and I seldom look up words etc. so I don't care about it being easier to touch the word than move a cursor to it etc.

But it if was an LCD screen, and I could write notes on my documents/books with a stylus, use the touch screen for web surfing, games etc., then I'd be all for it. But I have no use for it on a dedicated e-ink reader.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #109
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's a matter of opinion. I read on a PDA all the time, and I'm perfectly comfortable doing that all day long. And larger devices can be used as a digital assistant if desired... they only need the right apps loaded on them, and you have to be used to carrying it around. Ask any woman who carries a purse everywhere she goes: Getting used to carrying something with you is not that hard.
Actually I would say that the issues with PDAs are a matter of personal preference and or need. Personally, while my iPod Touch really got me into eBooks, I would not want to go back to it being my primary reader. I felt I had to change pages too often and even then, after several hours of reading, I often felt eye strain. And my wife (whose vision is not as good as mine) probably would find it unacceptable -- She tends to use the large font on the Sony PRS-505... at that size, I imagine only a dozen words would fit on the screen of the iPod Touch.

As for larger devices being used for PDA's? I really don't think it is going to happen. People have gotten pretty wedded to their phones having PDA functionality (Even my feature phone can be used for scheduling, email, web browsing etc.). Much about say about a 4" screen size and the device not is no longer (in my opinion) terribly easy to use as a phone .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #110
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
As for larger devices being used for PDA's? I really don't think it is going to happen. People have gotten pretty wedded to their phones having PDA functionality (Even my feature phone can be used for scheduling, email, web browsing etc.). Much about say about a 4" screen size and the device not is no longer (in my opinion) terribly easy to use as a phone .
I'm not so sure on this. Obviously, people can make calls, send texts/e-mails and keep their contact list on a phone. But how many actually make/edit calendar/appt functions on their phone? Or use the calculator? Or make/edit notes? Or carry/edit documents accessed from platform to platform? Or track their expenses in realtime?

Sure, many phone users don't do any of this regularly. But plenty of people do, and for them, non-phone devices can be more convenient to use (I do all of those things on my PDA, and I am aware that none of them would be easier to do on my full-featured phone).

That's why I think a larger device can easily serve as a PDA... just as people have carried pad- to notebook-sized organizers for decades. It could especially happen if the larger form-factor made it easier for people to use the functions, something that older or less dexterous people might appreciate (we don't all have small fingers or fine motor control). Just because phones can do most of these things, doesn't mean it's the best device for doing these things for all people.

Bottom line, there's lots of room for different form factors for different people. A larger PDA would probably sell, especially as the population gets older... I wouldn't count such a device out. (And it can always have a built-in phone accessed by a headset...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #111
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think it would catch on in the mainstream. But no reason they couldn't put PDA apps on a tablet device for people who wanted to use them--just like you can use the palm software on a desktop, laptop, netbook etc. even if you don't own a Palm device to sync up with it.

It's just one of many functions I'd use in a small tablet device. But I agree smart phones will continue to dominate the PDA market. I'd probably have switched to one if phone data plans weren't so damn over-priced.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #112
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Bottom line, there's lots of room for different form factors for different people. A larger PDA would probably sell, especially as the population gets older... I wouldn't count such a device out. (And it can always have a built-in phone accessed by a headset...)
I don't think it would sell if it was a dedicated PDA and was 9 or 10".

I do think a PDA calander/contacts app on a 9 to 10" tablet devices would sell well. Or including it on the device would be a nice bonus selling point as it's another useful feature to list on the box and advertising.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #113
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I'm not so sure on this. Obviously, people can make calls, send texts/e-mails and keep their contact list on a phone. But how many actually make/edit calendar/appt functions on their phone? Or use the calculator? Or make/edit notes? Or carry/edit documents accessed from platform to platform? Or track their expenses in realtime?

Sure, many phone users don't do any of this regularly. But plenty of people do, and for them, non-phone devices can be more convenient to use (I do all of those things on my PDA, and I am aware that none of them would be easier to do on my full-featured phone).
A smart phone is essentially a PDA. Certainly my last phone, which was a Windows Mobile phone looked and acted like a PDA, but could also be used to make calls. I switched to my current (feature) phone because it came with a full keyboard that made doing all of those things easier. Sure I gave up some functionality, but I can still do everything I need to do and easier than on my touch screen Windows phone.

Quote:
That's why I think a larger device can easily serve as a PDA... just as people have carried pad- to notebook-sized organizers for decades. It could especially happen if the larger form-factor made it easier for people to use the functions, something that older or less dexterous people might appreciate (we don't all have small fingers or fine motor control). Just because phones can do most of these things, doesn't mean it's the best device for doing these things for all people.

I think the market place kind of voted there Steve. Larger PDAs kind of dropped off the market for phone devices. Personally, I want a device that I can slip in a shirt or pants pocket and forget about. Carrying in my hand is not an option, because I know I will leave it sitting around 90% of the time. I hate to say it, but I have found I am far more likely to get voice mail when I call a woman; she usually has her phone in her purse which is across the room, or in another room, etc.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #114
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I think the market place kind of voted there Steve. Larger PDAs kind of dropped off the market for phone devices. Personally, I want a device that I can slip in a shirt or pants pocket and forget about. Carrying in my hand is not an option, because I know I will leave it sitting around 90% of the time. I hate to say it, but I have found I am far more likely to get voice mail when I call a woman; she usually has her phone in her purse which is across the room, or in another room, etc.
I don't think we can call this vote closed, Bill. As I said, as the majority of consumers get older, small devices will work for them less and less. And technology can often surprise us with form factors and hardware we might not have expected (like the mouse). Time will tell.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #115
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBook Ivor View Post
G'day dear eBook fans...
wondering if anyone has tried reading a DNLebook on their laptop such as can be found on www.ebook.com
Replied in a new thread, because it seemed long for here. DNL DRM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #116
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
A smart phone is essentially a PDA. Certainly my last phone, which was a Windows Mobile phone looked and acted like a PDA, but could also be used to make calls. I switched to my current (feature) phone because it came with a full keyboard that made doing all of those things easier. Sure I gave up some functionality, but I can still do everything I need to do and easier than on my touch screen Windows phone.
The three Windows Mobile phones that I've owned (eg. HTC 6700, HTC 6800, Samsung Saga) all have had full QWERTY keyboards. I refuse to buy one without it.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #117
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
I agree with that. But as I said the point isn't a larger PDA. But a 9-10" Tablet that does all kinds of stuff--PDA functions, e-books, e-mail, full featured web browsing (not the limited usefulness of a tiny phone screen), videos, games, music, note taking, ability to mark up word documents, view spread sheets etc.

Basically everything a Netbook could do sans things that require a keyboard (typing documents etc) in a more portable device that's better for reading, jotting notes with a stylus etc.

So I could have my regular phone in my pocket, and that tablet device in my briefcase or backpack rather than having a PDA, Kindle, MP3 player, DS, Laptop etc. etc.

I think there would be a nice market for something like that. It wouldn't replace smart phones, as people are going to want something they can just carry in their pocket. But it could replace a lot of other gadgets.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #118
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
But as I said the point isn't a larger PDA. But a 9-10" Tablet that does all kinds of stuff--PDA functions, e-books, e-mail, full featured web browsing (not the limited usefulness of a tiny phone screen), videos, games, music, note taking, ability to mark up word documents, view spread sheets etc.

I think there would be a nice market for something like that. It wouldn't replace smart phones, as people are going to want something they can just carry in their pocket. But it could replace a lot of other gadgets.
I've been avoiding posting to this thread, since it's drifted away from my original purpose of starting it, but oh well, "flow with the go..."

I agree with what you're saying, and that matches my 'vision' of the future. It's not a question of what LARGE numbers of people WANT. It's a question of COMPETITION. If you have a choice between two devices that are equally good for reading whatever it is you want to read, but one of them ONLY does that, and the other one also lets you take notes on what you read, play music, play games, etc, etc, which one do you think most folks will choose? It's not a question of cost, because (for the most part) those extra features don't COST anything to include. The book reader market is already getting quite competitive, and once prices drop beyond a certain point, adoption will skyrocket and competition will get even MORE intense. We seen it all before: when there's competition, features get added whether they're really useful or not, whether the customers want them or not, it's a way for the companies to differentiate their product.

It WILL happen.

And it doesn't have to impact the READING aspect of these devices in any way. (It undoubtedly WILL impact some companies' offerings, but it doesn't HAVE to, once display and battery technology advances a little more.)
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #119
dmaul1114
Wizard

I agree 100% with that. Once the technology is there, those devices will take off. Maybe dedicated readers will stick around. But it will be a small niche as who would want one if you can get something in 5-10 years that's as good or better to read on and does all kinds of other things you need as well for about the same cost as current readers?

I can see a market for selling the current, barebones e-ink readers for $100 selling to folks who just read and don't use other technology. But for the younger crowd etc. having something just as good for reading that they can also e-mail, surf the net, play games, watch videos etc. etc. would be much more functional and practical. Especially since most in that crowd probably don't read enough to justify buying a dedicate reader...but would buy a multifunction tablet and buy some e-books on it occasionally.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #120
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I agree with that. But as I said the point isn't a larger PDA. But a 9-10" Tablet that does all kinds of stuff--PDA functions, e-books, e-mail, full featured web browsing (not the limited usefulness of a tiny phone screen), videos, games, music, note taking, ability to mark up word documents, view spread sheets etc.

Basically everything a Netbook could do sans things that require a keyboard (typing documents etc) in a more portable device that's better for reading, jotting notes with a stylus etc.

So I could have my regular phone in my pocket, and that tablet device in my briefcase or backpack rather than having a PDA, Kindle, MP3 player, DS, Laptop etc. etc.

The problem being that once you get beyond the "wow" factor you find that tablets aren't all that practical. Tablets aren't new but they haven't caught on because they have neither the functionality of something like a netbook nor the pocketability of a smartphone. Tablets have been relegated to a few niche professional markets (medical comes to mind) for a reason. If someone (Apple?) succeeds at creating mass market demand for a tablet it will be more a triumph of marketing than technology.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote