Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #241
elanamig
elanamig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I partied a bit too early...

The table of contents does not display (shows up as all squares), although the text itself is fine...

Is that a css/font issue, or would this require russification (i.e. firmware patch) for the reader?

Thanks!
elanamig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #242
elanamig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well I'm glad it worked for you but I'm slightly surprised as it sounds as if you've embedded the fonts in the epub. I was under the impression that if you do this you must also list the font files in the <manifest> section of the epub's .opf file. Did you do this? If not, perhaps the Sony isn't as picky as you thought.
I did embed the files in the epub, because I read some posts that claim that warranty will be invalidated if we do something to the default setup on the reader... So I reverted to the original Sony file structure, and decided to contain all of my font modifications to the epub itself.

As for the opf file - yes, I had to modify that as well. But I did that during the original conversion, so that wasn't a problem right now.
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #243
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanamig View Post
I partied a bit too early...

The table of contents does not display (shows up as all squares), although the text itself is fine...

Is that a css/font issue, or would this require russification (i.e. firmware patch) for the reader?

Thanks!
It's not a CSS issue. I think it's the system fonts on the reader which need to contain all your Cyrillic characters but by default do not. I believe russification should fix it for you. I'm afraid I'm an English-only speaker so menus are never a problem.

I do have the Boroda russification firmware. It was very easy to install, but I can't answer your question. You may get some clarification if you ask in this thread in the Sony forum.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #244
elanamig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's not a CSS issue. I think it's the system fonts on the reader which need to contain all your Cyrillic characters but by default do not. I believe russification should fix it for you. I'm afraid I'm an English-only speaker so menus are never a problem.

I do have the Boroda russification firmware. It was very easy to install, but I can't answer your question. You may get some clarification if you ask in this thread in the Sony forum.
Yes, I gathered that much already. I've seen the Boroda upgrade and a few others, but I might just use transliteration for the toc. I rarely use the toc anyway. Just wanted to display it nicely for perfectionist purposes .

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #245
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome. glad to help.
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #246
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Gentium Plus on Sony -- support for most non-Eastern languages

I tried putting Gentium Plus (free) on my Sony Pocket Reader at:

/fonts/GentiumPlus/GentiumPlus-I.ttf
/fonts/GentiumPlus/GentiumPlus-R.ttf

and then put @font-face declarations in my html source -- I could just have well done it in the Calibre CSS overide section, I guess.

Gentium Plus supports European Languages -- including Eastern European and Russia, not Eastern Languages such as Chinese and Japanese.

Very happy result. See attached test of "all the world's languages."

(Works compiled to epub by Calibre default mode.)

PS: Don't know why this approach would invalidate anything -- since @font-face IS supported by IDPF -- so, my understanding is that this approach is "completely legal."
Attached Files
File Type: txt LanguageSupport2.txt (39.5 KB, 684 views)

Last edited by jimad; 02-15-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add a ps.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #247
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
I'm struggling with this.

I put:

@font-face { font-family: "Trado"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/font/trado.ttf);
}
@font-face { font-family: "Trado"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/font/tradbdo.ttf);
}
body { font-family: "Trado", serif;
}

But it didn't work.
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #248
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you make the fonts directory and put the font files there?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #249
Hedaya
Connoisseur

yes I did. And this might be silly to say, but I put it on the main drive and on my sdcard and tried it with what's above, and with: res:///system/font instead and with res:///sdcard/ and with naming them as res:///nook and with res:///SummerReads and with res:///E and with res:///F.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedaya View Post
yes I did. And this might be silly to say, but I put it on the main drive and on my sdcard and tried it with what's above, and with: res:///system/font instead and with res:///sdcard/ and with naming them as res:///nook and with res:///SummerReads and with res:///E and with res:///F.
Since you are using a nook and not a Sony, it may not work for you. This thread is for Sony Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #251
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Actually, I saw on another thread where they made it work with the same technique: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75191.

but I posted on both b/c I can't get it to work and figure it's me.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #252
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Hedaya,

I'm not a Nook owner so I can't be more specific but it's probably just a case of getting the blue bit right.
Code:
src: url(res:///Data/font/tradbdo.ttf)
On a Sony the directory where the .ttf files are stored is res:///Data/font/, but to a Windows user it looks like [Drive:]\font in Sony internal memory.

I have skimmed the thread you referenced. It is not clear what the Nook equivalent is, as one user places the ttf files on an SD card and another refers to res:///system/fonts as a system embedded font, presumably meaning a Nook standard directory for storing system font files. There is also a reference to res:///system/media/sdcard

When you connect your Nook do you see a directory in internal memory called [Drive:]\system\fonts or [Drive:]\fonts? Only another Nook owner can give you the definitive advice on the above.

Another potential problem is that the epub you are testing has something in its internal css which is stopping your customized fonts from displaying correctly. I'm attaching a very simple test epub which will definitely work with your custom fonts if you get the above sorted out. I use it whenever I'm trying out a new font.
Attached Files
File Type: epub EPUBFontTest.epub (92.1 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-29-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #253
khin99
MHK99
khin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: prs 505, nook color, Kindle Fire, Nexus 7
Jackie_W,
I own both sony and nook and have rooted them. On nook it is [Drive:]\fonts although i have to open a new folder. What I have done is copy the fonts I wish to use into this folder and the Droid suite of fonts. I have tried many embeds different css and manual converts. Some work but some do not. So I have found that one user has changed his desired font name to DroidFallBack after renaming the DroidFallBack to something else. This idea worked very well with me but of course it is only good for one font. If you want to use another you will have to do it all over again. I am using the Burmese Zawgyi-One font and it works for all epub with this font. But Burmese comes in two three other popular fonts and I am still struggling.
Hedaya you could try this if you wish.
khin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #254
kado
Enthusiast
kado began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Hi Jackie_W,

I too have a Nook Standard (1st edition) and killing myself to achieve an epub to epub font conversion as explained in the posts 9 and 18, even though it was written for Sony readers. I think I managed to narrow down the reasons for my failure to two, which are:
1) Either the font I use do not contain any regional language support, in my case it is Turkish
2) Or, as you pointed out in your post #252, the blue bits are not correct for my Nook.

When I connect my Nook, I see nook as a new drive and when I double click I see all folders inside. There are a "my fonts" folder to which I believe all new fonts should go. However, I tried almost all possibilities but failed to correctly identify inner folder structure for N1E to locate my fonts. Still not sure what to type there.

As for the correct font, I am still not sure if the fonts I use support non-western characters, perhaps that's the reason why I see "?" in the epub I created with Calibre.

Actually, Calibre does not seem to be working correctly neither. When I convert an epub to epub so that all Turkish chars could be displayed correctly, I check the .css file inside the newly created epub file but I see stylesheet1.css (with a 1 attached at the end) and this file lacks the @font-face decleration bit for font family and all supporting 4 font-types as proposed in the previous posts.

Can anyone suggest a solution for my font replacement endeavour for creating proper epub files?
kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #255
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado View Post
Actually, Calibre does not seem to be working correctly neither. When I convert an epub to epub so that all Turkish chars could be displayed correctly, I check the .css file inside the newly created epub file but I see stylesheet1.css (with a 1 attached at the end) and this file lacks the @font-face decleration bit for font family and all supporting 4 font-types as proposed in the previous posts.
A Calibre conversion puts the @font-faces into every html file in the epub, rather than once in the .css file (don't know why). Try looking in there. If they are present and you have found the Nook magic src: url(res:///... ...) value the epub should still display your custom font correctly as long as your chosen font has the necessary Turkish characters.

Tags
epub, fonts