Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Why of the following major ebook distributors do you purchase from, and why?
Amazon, because I also have a Kindle 25 26.60%
Amazon, because I can't find the book I want elsewhere 18 19.15%
Amazon, other 20 21.28%
B&N, because I also have a nook 7 7.45%
B&N, because I like that they have ePub & allow lending 6 6.38%
B&N, other 7 7.45%
Kobo, because I also have a Kobo, Sony, or other Adobe Adept reader 10 10.64%
Kobo, because I like that they support ePub 14 14.89%
Kobo, other 9 9.57%
I prefer to buy from another seller because they sell books on [Topic] 6 6.38%
I prefer to buy from another seller because they are cheaper. 14 14.89%
I prefer to buy from another seller for some other reason. 35 37.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Because I have to play the geo restriction game so much I use whatever store has the book and takes paypal. I've had good success getting what I want from diesel-ebooks & booksonboard.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
If I can find a DRM-free version of the book available, I buy that. If I can't, my next stop in Amazon because they are available on the largest number of platforms/devices and are the most likely to have the book. I don't like to have have several different silos of books, so right now everything is available either in the Kindle application, or iBooks (on the iPad), or Stanza (on the iPod because it's too old to run iBooks). I've considered trying to move the Kindle books to iBooks as well, but so far I haven't bothered.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Baen Books, Smashwords, and Fictionwise are the only places I've bought books from, so far. I like their pricing. I'm not going to pay hardcover prices for a digital transfer, no way.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
MysticMoon
MysticMoon doesn't litterMysticMoon doesn't litter

Device: blackberry storm 2
From 2001 until April of this year I bought exclusively from eReader (formerly Peanutpress) and Fictionwise. They had all the books I could read and good loyalty programs. Now that the Agency 5 have messed everything up, I am in a no-mans land. I have bought a few books off of Amazon, but nowhere near the volume that I used to.
MysticMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see how many people are buying books from Kobo, and just plain surprised to see how many aren't buying from B&N.

Do people not like B&N for some reason? Or maybe Nook owners don't feel the need to get an iPad, and thus don't show up in this forum?

So many people buying from A.) Amazon and B.) Other Sources is not at all surprising. It looks like the majority of people who buy from "other sources" also buy from the big three.

I didn't include Sony and iBooks for the stupid reason that I didn't think of either of them - I don't buy from Sony because they don't have a store on the iOS itself, and I never buy from iBooks because nobody has cracked their DRM yet. I'm morally opposed to purchasing books that I can't back up without DRM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #21
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
B&N uses a different DRM scheme so I don't buy from them. I only buy books I can, um, liberate
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
I put that I buy from amazon plus other sources, however I have bought once from amazon, several times from smashwords but mostly baen and fictionwise, I haven't bought from fictionwise recently though due to the changes in geo restrictions and price increases brought about by agency pricing!!

Can't buy from b&n due to geo restrictions and while I'm getting around that (and having to liberate anyway, i may as well stick with amazon us)

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see how many people are buying books from Kobo, and just plain surprised to see how many aren't buying from B&N.

Do people not like B&N for some reason?
Well B&N fall into an odd gap.
People who want to buy transferable ePub files wouldn't choose them, as they have their own DRM scheme.
People who don't care about DRM would probably choose Amazon instead because ... well, Amazon are just better
So don't really see much reason to look at B&N.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
As with MysticMoon, I used to buy only from eReader and Fictionwise. Anymore I only buy from Smashwords and author-direct sites that offer DRM-free files. While I know I can 'liberate' DRM-laden files, it is just not worth it to me. Yes, I am missing out on lots of mainstream authors, but I'm finding lots of very good stuff to read nevertheless.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
I like iBooks because I like the way the books look on my iPad, so I try there first. If a book is not available there, I go to either B & N or Amazon.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
My bookstore shopping trips are usually:
1. Public Library Ebooks
2. Sony
3. Ibooks or Amazon (which ever is cheaper of the two).

I have always liked the Sony bookstore. It serves me well, and I find it aesthetically pleasing. I must say, the Greater Phoenix Public Library is the Shiznitz!!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #27
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Pretty much Amazon and Smashwords for me.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
I must say, the Greater Phoenix Public Library is the Shiznitz!!
That's cool when individual library systems band together to form consortiums. Pooling their budgets get them access to large digital collections; and the GPDL has one of the largest digital collections in the country.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Another possible reason for B&N doing less well in the poll, this isn't just an american site and B&N don't sell to the rest of the world.

Previously I would tend to go with whichever shop was cheapest, but with both my blackberry and my ipad having the kindle app I find myself looking there first due to the convenience of synching between devices combined with prices that are always competitive at worst.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Another possible reason for B&N doing less well in the poll, this isn't just an american site and B&N don't sell to the rest of the world.

Previously I would tend to go with whichever shop was cheapest, but with both my blackberry and my ipad having the kindle app I find myself looking there first due to the convenience of synching between devices combined with prices that are always competitive at worst.
One of the goodreads groups that I am on happens to have a lot of Nook owners--so this same question when asked gets mostly B&N as the answer...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote