Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
please join me to suggest "tap to turn page" in sony forum

I posted a suggestion to "tap to turn page" in sony forum. If you have similar wish, please join me in that post!

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12850

My suggestion basically is:

1.There is "swipe mode" and "tap mode". User can choose which mode will be default in system setting, and he can change mode in reading temporally with menu button too.
2. "swipe mode" is just what we have it now.
3. In "tap mode", tap means page turn. I'd suggest the lower half (or 2/3) screen means page down, and the upper half means page up. This kind of design was used by most PDA book reading apps started from Palm era.

I knew there are apps can do this after rooting, but I didn't find any app satisfy all my need better than the stock one.

I also don't suggest to mix the tap mode and swipe mode, only use "single tap" to page turn, "double tap" for other operations. Because the T1 touch response is not fast already, waiting a possible double click could make the regular single click slower in response. Current swipe operation is good for all the other operations, we just need a specific reading mode which should be as simple as possible, because it may take 90% time of all usage.

Last edited by dracodoc; 01-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
1. user will be in read mode by default, so any tap means page turn.
2. if user want to search, select or search dictionary, just use menu to switch off the read mode, then back to what we have right now: slide to page turn, click to select, etc.
I'll not suggest to use double click to search dictionary, because the T1 touch response is not fast already, waiting a possible double click could make the regular single click slower in response.
Could do it like the Kindle does - tap and hold to trigger select/lookup.

Quote:
3. the lower half (or 2/3) screen means page down, and the upper half means page up. Because people may hold the reader in left hand, I don't think the kindle touch area design is convenient.
It actually works extremely well on the KT, both left and right handed. Right-most 80% of the screen for page forward, with a narrow strip down the left side for page back.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could do it like the Kindle does - tap and hold to trigger select/lookup.
It actually works extremely well on the KT, both left and right handed. Right-most 80% of the screen for page forward, with a narrow strip down the left side for page back.
The T1 works just like my Kindle & Nook touchscreens do. It already has tap and hold with the standard search/lookup menus like the other devices. I see 2 issues here.

1) The main difference is that the T1 swipes to turn the page rather than tap the edges like other devices. Some people like tap, and some people like swipe. There was a previous thread with a poll discussing this issue. I like swipe, especially since I do often read left-handed, and Sony provides the option to switch the swipe direction for forward/backward.

2) The second issue is that some people would like a read mode that disables the tap & hold lookups. I certainly wouldn't want that as a default. That's extra steps for people to enable the dictionary etc.

I'm happy just the way it is. It's consistent with how other devices work. But, if they switch to tap versus swipe, then I could live with it.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 01-20-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Tapping to turn sometimes works, specially when I set down my feathery glasses Try a lighter touch, see if it works!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
My suggestion basically is:
1. user will be in read mode by default, so any tap means page turn.
2. if user want to search, select or search dictionary, just use menu to switch off the read mode, then back to what we have right now: slide to page turn, click to select, etc.
I'll not suggest to use double click to search dictionary, because the T1 touch response is not fast already, waiting a possible double click could make the regular single click slower in response.
With all due respect, but I completely disagree. I almost exclusively read books in foreign languages and constantly use the dictionary lookup. Getting extra steps built into the user interface to look up words would seriously irritate me. It's the second best way to look up words. The best way is the double-tap, which is the lookup in the x50 models. It's slightly faster. But then, in the T1 the tap-and-hold brings up a whole context menu, including wikipedia lookup, highlighting and notes. The latter two were less easy to do in the x50 models. So altogether, it still is the best UI for me.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
How would your scheme handle hyperlinks? For instance, Terry Pratchett's books have a lot of footnotes, which require a tap on the '*' to access. If a tap turns the page, then I can't access the footnotes.

For myself, I like it the way it is, because I can hold the reader in either hand and still turn the page with the same hand, no matter which hand I'm using.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
How would your scheme handle hyperlinks? For instance, Terry Pratchett's books have a lot of footnotes, which require a tap on the '*' to access. If a tap turns the page, then I can't access the footnotes.

For myself, I like it the way it is, because I can hold the reader in either hand and still turn the page with the same hand, no matter which hand I'm using.
I agree with you 100%. Also, swiping does something else positive. It leaves less fingerprints on the screen then tapping to turn the page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree with you 100%. Also, swiping does something else positive. It leaves less fingerprints on the screen then tapping to turn the page.
I really can not see how a swipe would leave less fingerprints on the screen then a tap. Please tell me why this is so.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the PRS T1 responds to a swipe so light and "short", it's actually not much more than a tap already.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I think the way it is in PRS+ (that could be installed on the x50 range) is excellent:
1. You can choose yourself of you want tap to turn or not
2. You choose HOW it works. (I choose "tap anywhere for page forward")
3. Swiping still works AS WELL! (Meaning if I want to go back I just swipe)

Long press is good for looking upp words!
Tapping leabes no fingerprint whatsoever on my 950 screen!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The way it works on the KT is that, if you tap on a hyperlink, it activates the hyperlink; if you tap anywhere else, it turns the page. Might sound rather error-prone, but it's never done the wrong thing for me.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-21-2012 at 06:58 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It don't have to be a conflict.

I just modified my original post and the post in sony forum. With one system setting, you can have all the current operations, and other people can have other operations, they sure can live together.

All problems solved, I believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
With all due respect, but I completely disagree. I almost exclusively read books in foreign languages and constantly use the dictionary lookup. Getting extra steps built into the user interface to look up words would seriously irritate me. It's the second best way to look up words. The best way is the double-tap, which is the lookup in the x50 models. It's slightly faster. But then, in the T1 the tap-and-hold brings up a whole context menu, including wikipedia lookup, highlighting and notes. The latter two were less easy to do in the x50 models. So altogether, it still is the best UI for me.

Last edited by dracodoc; 01-21-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
dracodoc
Connoisseur

The problem is, sometimes every swipe will bring a dictionary search window, sometimes it doesn't. And I cannot find what's the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
the PRS T1 responds to a swipe so light and "short", it's actually not much more than a tap already.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
dracodoc
Connoisseur

What HarryT suggested is a simple solution. I suggest there to be a system setting and each book setting to switch between "tap mode" and "swipe mode".

With "swipe mode" you sure can use one hand to hold and turn pages in every direction. But in my experience, sometimes it will bring out the dictionary search dialog frequently, sometimes it don't, which is quite annoying.

With "tap mode", if the screen is divided by up and down, you can use one hand to hold and turn page forward easily, but it may need another hand to turn page backward. I can accept this because it will not be too frequently needed.

If the screen is divided like kindle touch, you can turn page forward and backward with left hand holding, but not with right hand. This is a good design, but I'm not sure if sony can copy this design.

Quote:

Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
All of this is completely irrelevant anyways. Sony isn't going to change anything. So deal with it. If you like it great. If you don't, then don't buy it. Buy something that better suits your needs/wants/preferences. Each of these units are what they are & we all have to pick what works best for us not buy it then bug the manufacturer to change what already exists.

I like it just the way it is. For many people swipe is more intuitive than tapping is.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote