Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #2641
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My three new second gens arrived yesterday, but as I had other commitments last night I haven't had a chance to set one up yet, so I can't comment on performance. Aesthetically they look much better, I got the charcoal grey fabric and they have a very subdued look so they should fit in nearly any decor. Also being shorter and squatter they don't draw the eye like the shiny towers of gen one do.

In a word more subtle.

As Monkey's quote says "I had (now have) more Alexa devices than I have rooms in my house"
Let us know how gen 2 sounds. I'm seriously considering getting one.

BTW, an easy fix for those extra devices is to build more rooms until you achieve a 1:1 ratio
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #2642
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

BTW, an easy fix for those extra devices is to build more rooms until you achieve a 1:1 ratio
Or, considering the communication and drop-in features, give them away to folks you want to spy on keep in touch with.

Last edited by ApK; 11-11-2017 at 01:08 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #2643
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Let us know how gen 2 sounds. I'm seriously considering getting one.

I'm no audiophile, but the new Echos sound noticeably better to my untrained ear. I set the new one to playing a song, then stopped it and set the old one to the same song. The old one sounded more tinny to me (less bass?). Also she seems to understand better. I don't know if that's because of better mics or more Echos.

I'm thinking a weatherproof enclosure so I can put the extra Dots on the lanai or carport Or maybe the laundry? (yes, we have outdoor laundries here in Paradise.)
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #2644
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Amazon Black Friday deals start on November 17th, with Echo devices and TV sales

Echo (second-generation) for $79.99 (usually $99.99)
Echo Plus for $119.99 (usually $149.99)
Amazon Tap for $79.99 (usually $129.99)
Amazon Cloud Cam for $99.99 (usually $119.99)
Fire HD 10 for $99.99 (usually $149.99)
Fire HD 8 for $49.99 (usually $79.99)
Kindle Paperwhite for $89.99 (usually $119.99)
Kindle for $49.99 (usually $79.99)
Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote for $24.99 (usually $39.99)
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:29 AM   #2645
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon Echos, Alexa, and Prime Music launch in Canada

Quote:
About a week after adding Japan as the fifth country to receive Alexa and Echo devices, Amazon has now launched their voice assistant and smart speakers in Canada. In addition to Alexa and Echo devices, Amazon is also simultaneously launching Prime Music for all Canadian Prime members.
Quote:
The Amazon Echo is currently $99.99 CDN (~$78 USD), but will be $129.99 CDN (~$102 USD) after the introductory discount ends. The Amazon Echo Dot is $49.99 CDN (~$39 USD) and will eventually increase to $69.99 CDN (~$55 USD), and the Amazon Echo Plus is $169.99 CDN (~$133 USD) and will later increase to $199.99 CDN (~$156 USD). All devices will ship on December 5th.

Telus, a Canadian mobile carrier, is matching Amazon’s prices on Amazon Echo and Echo Plus pre-orders, but is also including a full year of Prime membership with your purchase.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #2646
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Echo Show - $30 off today only

Today only (11/16/17), Echo Show is $30 off ($199.99, usually $229.99). Here's the link: Echo Show - Black.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #2647
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Today only (11/16/17), Echo Show is $30 off ($199.99, usually $229.99). Here's the link: Echo Show - Black.
Thanks - it'll be $180 next week during Black Friday.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #2648
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Hope this is the right spot. This month's free Audible narration for Echo owners is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

BTW, current wake word options are:
Alexa
Echo
Amazon
Computer

I changed the wake word on the Dot in the Kitchen to COMPUTER and my Star Trek Geek sister totally loves it when she visits. She's hoping to have internet access next spring and then she'll get an Echo.

Currently have 2 Echos and 3 dots and one battery case to make Dot mobile.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-17-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #2649
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I requested invite for Echo in Japan (they just launched them, but are not selling them, Prime members could request invites with a 4000 Yen discount, so I am waiting to see if I can buy it with that discount or not).
I sent email to Amazon asking if Alexa also speaks English, but I received no response.
Can't wait to see if she speaks only Japanese
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #2650
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Hope this is the right spot. This month's free Audible narration for Echo owners is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
The correct place is the Deals Forum --> Audiobooks. You can x-post it here.

It's not coming up for me. I get:

"Check back next week to hear what's free from Audible."
Old 11-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #2651
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

You can now stop Alexa from saying the product name during shipping notifications

Quote:
If you’ve turned on shipping notifications for Alexa, which allows your Echo devices to tell you when your Amazon orders are out for delivery, there’s a new option that you’ll probably want to configure one way or the other. You can now select whether you want Alexa to read off the name of the product being delivered.
This option should've been there from day one.

Quote:
Shipping notifications are unprompted alerts that beep and light up your Echo devices with a yellow light when your Amazon packages are out for delivery. Alexa can also give you prompted shipping updates by asking “Alexa, where’s my stuff?” Unfortunately, the new option that prevents Alexa from saying the product names for unprompted notifications does not affect prompted notifications. That means that if you or anyone in your household asks for order updates, Alexa will still reveal the contents of the order.
The option needs to be added here also. Until then, I'll keep delivery notifications disabled.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #2652
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
The correct place is the Deals Forum --> Audiobooks. You can x-post it here.

It's not coming up for me. I get:

"Check back next week to hear what's free from Audible."
Hmmm . . . I've been listening to it for a couple of days now.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #2653
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hmmm . . . I've been listening to it for a couple of days now.
The Jeff still isn't showing me any love on this

Who's the narrator, so I can add it to the Audiobook thread?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #2654
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Yeah, my sister has a Dot registered to her account in my house and I hear all her notifications, because that circling green light makes me nuts. So I ask what I missed to turn it off.

Admittedly, she doesn't buy very interesting stuff!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #2655
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Having just binged watched the first season of "The Good Place," I now wish I could make my Echo answer to "Janet" instead of "Alexa" or one of other approved wake words.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote