Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
khris210
khris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook simpletouch
Found my old Nook Simple Touch

I'm trying to resuscitate my old Nook, using Calibre. Obviously my account with B&N no longer exists, and I have 2 Samples and 2 Lendable books on the Nook, none of which appear on the Calibri GUI, although all the other (ePub files) books do. I should like to delete the samples. The Lendable books are readable on the Nook, but not on Calibri. None of the above appear on Windows Explorer either, although the rest of the books (ePub files) do. So, how do I delete the Samples and transfer/convert the Lendable books so that they are on Calibre? All help appreciated. (We also have a Kindle,similar vintage, but that's for another day!
khris210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If only SOME books are visible in Calibre (in device view. Click the icon, which shows when a device is discovered) , that usually indicates, the others are in a isolated (and hidden) section of the device.

Books you can see in the list, right click: Add to Library

search inlibrary: false (shows just those that have not matched any in Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
B&N dont give access to books you purchase from them over a USB connection. So you cannot mamange them with third party tools.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by khris210 View Post
I'm trying to resuscitate my old Nook, using Calibre. Obviously my account with B&N no longer exists, and I have 2 Samples and 2 Lendable books on the Nook, none of which appear on the Calibri GUI, although all the other (ePub files) books do. I should like to delete the samples. The Lendable books are readable on the Nook, but not on Calibri. None of the above appear on Windows Explorer either, although the rest of the books (ePub files) do. So, how do I delete the Samples and transfer/convert the Lendable books so that they are on Calibre? All help appreciated. (We also have a Kindle,similar vintage, but that's for another day!
Back when you were using your Nook Simple Touch, did you sideload any books onto the micro SD card. If you did, you can connect Nook to PC with USB and not use calibre. The books on the micro SD will show up as a new drive in Windows Explorer, and you can copy them to the PC desktop. If no books show up on the new drive, they are in the innards of the Nook, not on the Micro SD, and are probably not obtainable.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I have a dim recollection of being able to root the nook and install a file manager that would let you manage the "hidden" books on it as regular files.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Are the books on the SD card? If so, pull the SD card out of the Nook and put it directly into a card reader attached to your PC. The Nook will be out of the picture at that point and thus not able to hide your books. Same thing goes for something like a Fire HD tablet. I have a file manager on my Fire but it could not see my books (even though the Kindle and Nook apps on the Fire could see their respective books). Pull the SD card, taking the Fire out of the picture, and you can access the files (provided they're on the SD card of course). They will be DRM'ed, but that is not a major roadblock. But we can't discuss that aspect here.

There is some USB protocol that can be used to selectively display/hide contents, but I forget what it's name is at the moment. When you attach the Nook/Fire/Kindle/etc. to your computer using it's built-in USB port, the device can invoke that protocol to hide things from you. Taking the device out of the picture by yanking the SD card and inserting it into your computer directly negates the use of this protocol.

This is exactly how I got my Nook books after B&N took away the ability to download your books to your PC. I installed the Nook app on my Fire, and used that app to download all my books from B&N (they allow that, since you're downloading to a Nook app and not to a PC). I couldn't see those books on the Fire when using a 3rd party file manager. But the Nook app could display them, so I knew they were there .. somewhere. When I pulled the SD card out of the Fire, I could see the (previously hidden) files after the SD card was plugged directly into my (Linux) computer. It should be the same on Windows/Mac if you're not running Linux.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #7
khris210
khris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheesekhris210 can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook simpletouch
Thanks

Thanks to all who tried to help me. Since I didn't have a micro sd card in the Nook, that avenue is not open to me. It looks like the only way to rid myself of the samples is to Root the Nook (good name for a pop group?) I shall investigate further. Thanks again.
khris210 is offline   Reply With Quote