Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
shadenfroh
shadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toys

Device: none
[Next Gen] New Amazon Tablet to Launch in Fall

"New Apple CEO Tim Cook may have to deal with a big threat to the iPad this fall: Amazon is going to launch its much-anticipated tablet in late September or October, according to the New York Post, and the device will sell for “hundreds less” than the iPad. The Amazon device, which will run on a customized version of Google’s Android operating system, is considered a real threat to the iPad, because Amazon, if it follows the same plan it did with the Kindle, will be willing to sell the electronic devices at a loss in order to boost sales of digital media. BGR says Amazon is working on both entry-level and high-end models and that the company will reveal them in the coming weeks."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...9cl8amKOPBSDII
shadenfroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I smell a 'merry x-mas to me' gift!! (please don't let them screw this up )
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Can we just have one topic for the upcoming Amazon launch? We have been posting on this for at least three months, still don't have word from Amazon, and every time there is an article on the possibility it is coming we get another new topic.

I am not frustrated with the OP, I am really freaking annoyed with Amazon. Everyone is talking about just announce the damn thing so people can make a freaking choice.

And one pinned topic wouold make life easier because you would just stop checking it
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Can we just have one topic for the upcoming Amazon launch? We have been posting on this for at least three months, still don't have word from Amazon, and every time there is an article on the possibility it is coming we get another new topic.
But this thread is about so much more than just "New Amazon Tablet... Yay! What's it gonna be?"

Most articles/discussions are focused on the (perceived) fact that people just don't want a tablet unless it's an iPad. This one suggests that many, many people want a tablet that's not an iPad if the price is right. They base that on how quickly discontinued (and consequently deeply discounted) HP tablets are flying off the shelves right now.

So while I agree with you that we don't need another "what/when is it going to be" thread, I don't think that's the main point of this thread (misleading title aside).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This one suggests that many, many people want a tablet that's not an iPad if the price is right. They base that on how quickly discontinued (and consequently deeply discounted) HP tablets are flying off the shelves right now.
But how much of that is down to the "let's make a fast back selling it on eBay" factor?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

My favorite quote, "The Amazon device, which will run on a customized version of Google’s Android operating system, is considered a real threat to the iPad..."

LMAO! Translation, "a customized version of Google’s Android operating system" means a scaled down POS like the NookColor that won't run 99% of the Android Market apps. Sounds like another cheap device that runs only a few select apps available only through Amazon. Meh! This won't even be competitive with current Android tablets much less the iPad.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
LMAO! Translation, "a customized version of Google’s Android operating system" means a scaled down POS like the NookColor that won't run 99% of the Android Market apps.
...until it's rooted, anyhow.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I betcha it'll run the apps Amazon Android store though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

I am not frustrated with the OP, I am really freaking annoyed with Amazon. Everyone is talking about just announce the damn thing so people can make a freaking choice.

And one pinned topic wouold make life easier because you would just stop checking it
You're argument is ridiculous. It's like saying, everybody knows an iPad 3 is coming out. Just announce it! Amazon can decide to announce it's product whenever it wants -.-
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Sell at a loss like the kindle? Is it actual fact that the kindle is sold at a loss or pure speculation based upon some rough calculations on the cost of parts?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous
Sell at a loss like the kindle? Is it actual fact that the kindle is sold at a loss or pure speculation based upon some rough calculations on the cost of parts?
It's speculation. But seeing as how I saw prices drop from $349 (where I bought my K2) to $139 (with better eInk screens) in approximately two years... I think it's safe to say the profit margin is razor thin right now. And yes, I believe the KSO's being sold for $114 are being sold at a loss. No proof of course.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:

Thank you, Prof Crash - this is what I was wondering. I did some quick looking, and from what I found (not saying my results are definitive, mind you, I'm only human), I can't find anything where Amazon itself has said they're even going to launch a tablet. Everyone else in the world is saying it, but Amazon has not confirmed, as far as I can see.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't doubt that it is coming but it is getting old waiting. Especially since I am looking at getting a tablet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
I don't doubt that it is coming but it is getting old waiting. Especially since I am looking at getting a tablet.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote