Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
bloor
bloor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.2.1
Smile Use DXG 3.2.1 as second monitor?

Hello,

As a complete noob, I've spent hours reading up on ultravnc :derp- no wifi on dxg:/ ssh/ linux/ thekitchensink but am not close to connecting my Windows 8 laptop to the Kindle DXG (upgraded to 3.2.1)- which is what I started with last night.

Would any kind soul point to a guide? So far, I've managed to get usbnetwork hack installed but 'usbnetwork does not change the dxg from data storage to usb mode

My ultimate objective is just to use the dxg as a second monitor for research

-Thank you and 100 karma to whoever can help
bloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not sure if the DX behaves differently when on 3.x firmware. When on 2.5.x firmware, the activation of USB networking is _different_ from a K3 in that the string you have to enter in the search input line is _not_ prefixed by a ";", but by "~", I think [edit: I was wrong, read below!]. Read the information that comes with the USB networking installer (there's a README!) carefully, I think it's mentioned in there. However, OTOH, your device might also behave like a K3 in that regard since you changed firmware. There's no other trick, I think, just entering exactly the right things. Well, at least when it really installed fine _and_ the combination of firmware 3.x on a KDX works with USB networking at all.

Last edited by hawhill; 04-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
... When on 2.5.x firmware ... the activation of USB networking is _different_ from a K3 in that the string you have to enter in the search input line is _not_ prefixed by a ";", but by "~", I think.
Back-tick ==> `
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, right, that was a mistake. Thank you! Specifically, it's ";debugOn" (or -Off) on both platforms, but "~usbNetwork" on K3 and "`usbNetwork" on KDX. (According to the README_FIRST.txt from the hack ;-) )
Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
@bloor: I've posted a guide here:

http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html

While written for a Mac OS X host, you should have no problem following it.
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems like I have been downloading apps from tinyapps.org since the internet was young. Interesting seeing that here, and this there.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

@geekmaster - Thanks so much for your post - it made my day!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyApps.Org View Post
@geekmaster - Thanks so much for your post - it made my day!
I am a firm believer in SIB (Small Is Beautiful), as used in your website logo tagline. Back in the day, I had a long series of email exchanges with Steve Gibson, and we discussed many things including SIB (a package of tiny asm demos you can download at grc.com) and related techniques.

On a related note, check out my tiny shell scripts that actually do useful but unusual things in unusual ways. I am torn between wanting to publish while I can, and wanting to wait until I can crystallize the elegant essence of an idea into tiny and simple code (/bin/sh in this case).

Tiny but elegant ALGORITHMS are much more important than tiny code, but they go together. If you have not read the "Programming Pearls" series, you really should...

And thanks for keeping the tinyapps.org website together. So many of my favorite internet sites go away during periodic economic downturns, and I am very glad yours is still alive after all these years.

P.S. I just *had* to give you my "badge of honor" 2600 karma (for your website, and adding kindle stuff to it).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-03-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast

Many thanks!

Quote:
check out my tiny shell scripts that actually do useful but unusual things
Will do - thanks!

Quote:
And thanks for keeping the tinyapps.org website together.
It's a pleasure and honor!

Quote:
So many of my favorite internet sites go away
Indeed. Sometimes it seems like the open ecosystem of the early Internet has been paved over with inane banter and cat photos from Facebook, et. al. Of course, finding good information has gotten much easier too... it's a mixed bag, I guess. It's easy for me to start waxing Yorkshire.

Quote:
I just *had* to give you my "badge of honor" 2600 karma
Very cool - thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
... It's easy for me to start waxing Yorkshire.
Dead "Four Yorkshiremen" YouTube link on that page.
Quote:
... early Internet has been paved over with inane banter and cat photos ...
lolcats!

lolcats!

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-03-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: *click the cat picture to preview the book*
Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast

Quote:
Dead "Four Yorkshiremen" YouTube link on that page
Sorry about that - here it is.

Quote:
LOLcat Bible
Wow - that is clearly a major labor of love!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
bloor

Hey guys,

Thank you for replying, this community is awesome and I love how mobileread doesnt need you to register to download files uploaded by users Rest assured, countless lurkers thank you

1) DXG with 3.2.1 - confirmed "~" instead of '
2) The problem seems to be windows 8 not recognizing the rndis adapter-
A) Both the jailbreak and the usbnetwork hack installed well
B) Kindlevncviewer directory pasted to the USB storage root

Like a stubborn little dog, the mass storage device faithfully pops up regardless of which cable I use, usb slot I connect to or what I type...Windows 8 does not recognize a network device. I've even installed microsoft's mobile device driver 6.5/ scoured google/ prayed fervently. I feel like I'm overlooking something simple; like forgetting to put your pants on as you head out to school/work/lookatcatsontheinternet

Thanks again- I'll reattempt suggestions once my blood pressure comes down and/or Jeff Bezos puts out an update for the DXG

-Cheers
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
hawhill
Wizard

I'm sorry, but I don't see any possibility for a mass storage device to pop up when the Kindle really is in USB network mode. I suggest you validate this on another PC, just check what happens when you plug your Kindle when you think it should be in USB network mode.

The Kindle just does not present a mass storage device anymore when it switched over to USB network. Thus I still think the culprit is to bring it to that mode.

Another way to debug this would be to use a terminal application like myts (which does not depend on USB networking) and watch what happens on the device when you switch modes. However, this would need a bit experience on the command line (or a great deal of curiosity) :-)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
geekmaster

You need to have the usbnet hack installed and activated. To start usbnet automatically, it needs a file called "auto" in the usbnet folder on the usb drive, then you need to reboot to start usb networking. You should try that first, and worry about manually turning it on and off with the search bar commands later.

You must use a manually assigned IP address on your host PC for the kindle usbnet. The kindle is not running a DHCP server to give an address to the host.

If that is not the problem, then do you have another network interface using the IP subnet that the kindles want? If so, you need to either configure the kindle to use a different IP subnet, or change your other host computer interfact (ethernet, etc.) to use a different subnet.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
bloor

^^ Thank you very much

Renaming the file to "Auto" (dough!...was in the readme) enabled the device to read as an adapter. One step closer! 2 problems remain

1) I'm not quite sure how to access the device- tried mucking around with vnc, putty and it keeps timing out (Used the instructions at http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...SB%20tethering partially)

2) The device remains in usb mode forever- regardless of whether its plugged to the computer or not (I'm assuming more readings ahead to solve this one )

-Thank you all!

PS: Clearly out of my league here...but too damn stubborn to give up