Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 04:29 AM   #1
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Daylight saving time

How does my Kindle know that daylight saving time ended last night? It does know, as it now shows the right time.

I always keep wifi turned off, and it hasn't been connected to my computer (and Calibre) for a couple of days.

If it was never connected to wifi ever, could it get it wrong sometime in the future?

Last edited by Araucaria; 10-25-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
How does my Kindle know that daylight saving time ended last night? It does know, as it now shows the right time.

I always keep wifi turned off, and it hasn't been connected to my computer (and Calibre) for a couple of days.

If it was never connected to wifi ever, could it get it wrong sometime in the future?
Clearly, its system software has an algorithm for the change in daylight savings time

And yes, if your government changes that algorithm at some time in the future, without a software update your Kindle would get it wrong.

Note that in (most of) the US, it changes next weekend.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Linux machines generally use the standard tzdata, which knows how to recognize daylight savings time.

I cannot remember offhand what the Kindle does, IIRC it has only one timezone file, but there may be other oddities...?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Clearly, its system software has an algorithm for the change in daylight savings time

And yes, if your government changes that algorithm at some time in the future, without a software update your Kindle would get it wrong.

Note that in (most of) the US, it changes next weekend.
Not very likely that the EU will change the rules for "summer time". It's been unified across the EU as running from the last Sunday in March until the last Sunday in October for many years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KVoyage, KOasis 2, KPW4, FHD8
My Kobo Glo HD time was out an hour until today, so for a for a few months my Kobo will tell the right time!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2, Kobo Mini
My PW2 is still showing the wrong time and hasn't updated. It doesn't even update to the correct time if turn wi-fi on and sync with the Amazon servers, it has to be done manually.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-25-2015 at 07:34 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
My PW2 is still showing the wrong time and hasn't updated. It doesn't even update to the correct time if turn wi-fi on and sync with the Amazon servers, it has to be done manually.
Is your country listed as the UK in your account?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked and both my PW2 and my Voyage have correctly changed the time overnight.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's next week for most of the US.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
That's next week for most of the US.
...and Canada.

My least favorite day of the year. I'd stay on DST all year, if it were up to me.

The only benefit is that for the next four months, those who persist in referring to time zones as "EST," "CST" and so forth (including Kobo) will be correct. That error makes me nuts and it's rampant most of the year.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My least favorite day of the year. I'd stay on DST all year, if it were up to me.
One of my favourite days of the year: an extra hour in bed in the morning!
Old 10-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One of my favourite days of the year: an extra hour in bed in the morning!
And now you've had that hour, and darker afternoons for months! So not worth it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And now you've had that hour, and darker afternoons for months! So not worth it.
Pretty much irrelevant when you're as far north as we are in the UK; it gets dark early no matter what. It's dark by about 3:30pm here in mid winter, so the hour's difference is really neither here nor there. There have been suggestions that we should stick to "summer time" all year round, but the objection is that children would then be going to school in the morning in the dark, especially in Scotland, and there are road-safety concerns about that.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
dark by about 3:30pm here in mid winter
Didn't realize that. I won't complain about it getting dark at 5 pm.

I do prefer the autumn clock change over the spring change.

It's nice most of my devices except the eInk Kindles change the time all by their lonesome.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
I heart dark time. Nothing better than a cold, dark, rainy Seattle morn to start the day off right.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dst, kindle, wifi