Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
hesham
hesham began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Anyone got a PDF software idea ?

Hello every body ,

This is my first post here ... I have read some posts, and i see this is a great PDF community

I have been thinking for a few day for a new nice PDF software idea to develop. So i'd like to share the experience with you. Has anyone thought before of an idea concerning PDFs, and said ... If only there was a software that could do this !!

It'd be nice if you share your ideas here ... Crazy ideas are welcome too.
hesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
A small program that could create or edit bookmarks in PDFs would be great. For that matter, something that extracted a list of bookmarks would be really useful.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
How about something that could transpose colors in a PDF without rasterizing any of the content?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
hesham

@Elfwreck: Nice suggestion ... What would you do with extracting the bookmarks of a PDF ?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
hesham

@frabjous: Thanks a lot ... So if you have a title in black color for example, you want to change it to red. Things like that ?
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesham View Post
@frabjous: Thanks a lot ... So if you have a title in black color for example, you want to change it to red. Things like that ?
Sure, but not just that. Suppose I want to change all the black in the PDF to blue. Or suppose I want to invert all the colors, so that it goes from the usual black on white to white on black.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
hesham

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Sure, but not just that. Suppose I want to change all the black in the PDF to blue. Or suppose I want to invert all the colors, so that it goes from the usual black on white to white on black.
Not bad ... Cool.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
@Elfwreck: Nice suggestion ... What would you do with extracting the bookmarks of a PDF ?
Depends on the document. Often the bookmarks are chapters, and I can think of a lot of ways to use a list of chapters:
Build a table of contents as a page inside the book. If it's a textbook, use the list as topics for lessons. Send out the list as advertising, to encourage other people to read the book. Compare number and titles of chapters of a dozen books. Just count them to know how many chapters it has, if they're not numbered. Have a convenient list to work with, if conversion to another format scrambles the formatting & loses the page breaks.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
How about an accurate conversion of pdf tables into epub format? While keeping fonts as well?
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
hesham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Depends on the document. Often the bookmarks are chapters, and I can think of a lot of ways to use a list of chapters:
Build a table of contents as a page inside the book. If it's a textbook, use the list as topics for lessons. Send out the list as advertising, to encourage other people to read the book. Compare number and titles of chapters of a dozen books. Just count them to know how many chapters it has, if they're not numbered. Have a convenient list to work with, if conversion to another format scrambles the formatting & loses the page breaks.
Nice and convincing ... And not hard to implement.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
hesham

Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
How about an accurate conversion of pdf tables into epub format? While keeping fonts as well?
PDF tables are a big problem ... I have read about them. Dealing with them is hard, but this is a nice idea.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #12
adjangs
adjangs began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Aspire AOD255 Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
A small program that could create or edit bookmarks in PDFs would be great. For that matter, something that extracted a list of bookmarks would be really useful.
Yes. A pdf reader that allows a user to create bookmarks in a simple way and works. (This sumatra variant is supposed to do this but only works one time for me: http://www.leszer.net/index.php/my-s...bookmarks.html)
adjangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
hesham

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjangs View Post
Yes. A pdf reader that allows a user to create bookmarks in a simple way and works. (This sumatra variant is supposed to do this but only works one time for me: http://www.leszer.net/index.php/my-s...bookmarks.html)
So you want the ability to just create bookmarks for a PDF document ?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
adjangs
adjangs began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Aspire AOD255 Netbook
Quote:
So you want the ability to just create bookmarks for a PDF document ?
Yes. Amazingly, that program I linked to in my last post is the only free program I could find that promises to allow bookmark creation. It's too bad it dosn't work for me. All the other programs that allow this cost money. I just want the book to open up where I last left off, like an ereader program should. Is there a solution that already exists out there?
adjangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
frabjous
Wizard

jPDFtweak

jPDFbookmarks

These are open source Java programs that handle bookmarks. I don't have a lot of experience with them.

(You can also put them in with pdflatex's pdfpages package, but that's a relatively steep learning curve if you don't already know LaTeX.)

Tags
idea, pdf, software