Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
ConditionalTerms
ConditionalTerms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Edit quotes

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit the quotes that appear when a book is loading?

I love my Kobo, but for some reason the 'default' quotes piss me off. I'd like to delete some and add a few more. Anyone else feel the same way?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance!
ConditionalTerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have looked and so far have not found anything.

It does not appear to be in the sqlite database anywhere. Also I have checked all of the files on the Kobo with no luck. It must be something in the firmware, and as such, cannot be changed at this time.

I was hoping to change them as well but it does not look possible.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

That would be awesome if you could, probably has something to do with the sq-lite database... but worse case the quotes are stored in the firmware... i wonder if kobo will put new quotes when they update the firmware.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
That would be awesome if you could, probably has something to do with the sq-lite database... but worse case the quotes are stored in the firmware... i wonder if kobo will put new quotes when they update the firmware.
Not in the SQLite; I think you will find it is in the firmware itself.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
ConditionalTerms
ConditionalTerms began at the beginning.

Forgive my newbiness, but is it possible to manually edit firmware? I didn't hold much hope of their been an easy way to change the quotes, the kobo seems to very hard to customise. I guess I could just wait (and hope) for the firmware update or check back here in a few months and see if some tech genius has found a solution.

With such a wealth of influential men and women in the history world you would think that they could find more than 5 or 6 quotes, blagh.
ConditionalTerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Forgive my newbiness, but is it possible to manually edit firmware?
Sure, but without Kobo releasing some technical information, which probably isn't going to happen, it would be a (not-so) fun process of reverse engineering.

Once the first firmware update gets here in a couple weeks, we might be able to peek under the hood of the 'updater' and gain some insights into accomplishing something like this.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
I would be surprised if they don't add new quotes with the upcoming firmware update.

I bet the software devs at Kobo are getting tired of "I have been on the verge of being an angel all my life, but it's never happened yet" too!
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
I would be surprised if they don't add new quotes with the upcoming firmware update.

I bet the software devs at Kobo are getting tired of "I have been on the verge of being an angel all my life, but it's never happened yet" too!
Going to try and get it squeezed in, but no promises.

Post your ideas for literary quotes, and I'll see if we can use them. Keep it clean
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

Post your ideas for literary quotes, and I'll see if we can use them. Keep it clean
Here you go:

"All things are ready, if our minds be so." - William Shakespeare

"Liberty is worth paying for . . . " - Jules Verne

"We learn from failure, not from success!" - Bram Stoker

Last edited by Orochi; 06-20-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

"So long, and thanks for all the fish." - Douglas Adams

"Don't Panic!" - Douglas Adams
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

Everything is fine, nothing is ruined - Home*Runner
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Stolen from RedRoverJ's sig:

It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. ---Mark Twain
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Stolen from RedRoverJ's sig:

It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. ---Mark Twain
Love it.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him. - Robert Heinlein

How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven. Robert Heinlein
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
One of my favourite quotes:

Adam was a Canadian. No one but a Canadian would stand beside a naked woman and worry about an apple. Dave Broadfoot.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo