Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
agarner
agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nookcolor
Problems w/epub from Calibre for Nook Color

I haved used Calibre to convert txt files to epub format to read on Nook Color.
Everything seems to convert well but when I read it on my Nook I keep getting a ? wherever there are apostrophes or parentheses.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thank you.

Alan
agarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Sounds like there was an error in determining the code page used by the TXT file, either by Calibre or by you.

If this is the cause, as it has been for me a few times, there are two ways to fix the situation:
  • Using the trial and terror approach of reconverting with different code pages set in the Look & Feel page in the conversion settings. Start with CP1252 as your first try.

or
  • Open the original TXT file in Notepad++ (not Windows Notepad) and change the encoding to UTF-8 using the option on the Encoding menu and then reimport into Calibre and reconvert.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
agarner
agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nookcolor
dwig, thank you. I used your second suggestion and it worked great. I just save the txt file as a UTF-8 and all the apostrophes or parentheses were there.

Please close..

YEA!!!

Alan
agarner is offline   Reply With Quote