Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Ragged right justification on K2

Gentlefolk;

Just saw a shot of the Nook with a display that showed ragged-right justification, and I was in LOVE!

How can we get a K2 to give the option of ragged-right justification? I have not hacked my K2, but this is a hack I would be willing to try.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There is a way, only it's hidden.

There is a justification menu in the font size menu. I can't recall the exact steps, but try opening the font size menu and press j (for justification). If that doesn't work, close that menu and press Alt-j. Then open the menu again.

I know this works on the original Kindle, and it should work on the K2.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
It's been disabled on the K2, you are stuck with full justification.

Another great decision by the powers that be.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
It is really a shame that Amazon and its publishers are forcing full justification on us. It should be an option. I'd choose to always use a ragged right.

There is a thread in the developers section that details how to get the justification dialog back on the DX. It should work with the K2 as well. There is no bin file so you'll need to get the USB networking hack working first and manually make the changes via ssh.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51582

Regards
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
dwallbaum
Zealot

Thanks, Gearhead...I saw that thread as I was knocking around earlier, and frankly it is, at this time more hassle than it is worth. I am hoping that if Amazon reads this, they will offer this as a firmware upgrade.

I don't understand _why_ they don't offer the justification option.. that is what is baffling.

Might as well try to "tell us what you think about your Kindle" by dropping an email to the Kindle feedback line.

Thanks, all!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
It is really a shame that Amazon and its publishers are forcing full justification on us. It should be an option. I'd choose to always use a ragged right.

There is a thread in the developers section that details how to get the justification dialog back on the DX. It should work with the K2 as well. There is no bin file so you'll need to get the USB networking hack working first and manually make the changes via ssh.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51582

Regards
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

The full justification may be dependent on the individual book formatting. I'm reading a book right now that has left-justification, not full-justification. Therefore, just adding a toggle for left-justification may not get you anything if the book is hard-coded for full.

I recall from my K1 days that not all books could be taken out of full-justification mode.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
dwallbaum
Zealot

I suppose some types of formatting may define the justification..but on a thread here in the dev section, the CSS tag was defined that handled the justification.

So, I can see PDF books being fixed. But for ebooks generated from electronic sources, I would _think_ justification should be adjustable.

The odd thing for Amazon is, I just synched up and pulled down the new firmware which supports screen rotation on the K2. Nice. But why go to all that trouble if you then can't modify the justification?

And clearly, text spacing is adjustable for you have the option of "fewer words per line" which is adjusting the margins and reflowing the text.

Assuming the folks at Kindle Amazon aren't dumb, this appears to be an oversight for no discernable reason.

Don
Old 12-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
My understanding is that the formatting guidelines say for publishers NOT to specify justification, so that the device/user can choose. It seems dumb that they removed the option in the K2.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
dwallbaum
Zealot

It _may_ be my imagination..or maybe I am just looking at a better book, but since the firmware update, the flow of the text appears to be much cleaner. No where near as many tortured stretched lines as before. Need to go back and see the books that really bugged me to see if this is true.

Have you noticed any improvement in justification appearance?

Don
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist

The only difference I have seen since the update is that now the display algorithms will put in as many spaces as are needed to make sure it is right justified. Before the update, it appeared there was a limit so that I did see lines that did not go fully to the right. It was pretty obvious that there were still spaces being inserted, but it appeared to be limited to 2 or 3 consecutively.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
dwallbaum
Zealot

I have been waiting for the feedback email address to appear on the K2 screensaver for a coupla days, and it hasn't cycled around yet.

What is the K2 feedback address to Amazon??

thx!

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is an interesting thread.

I just returned my Kindles since I found them far too fragile. In 3 weeks I had 2 with broken screens and one that would lock up. They're also way too big. Sure, they're thin and light, but they are too tall and wide.

I did, however, like the full-justification font. I find it easy to read. I went to a Chapters store and looked at the Kobo. When I realized that it is left-justification only, I stopped looking at it. I can't read left-justified text; it's just too distracting. It was a deal-breaker for me.

Obviously, it's just personal preference. Why don't manufacturers give a choice? If you find full-justification too hard to read, then why make you read that? If you (like me) can't stand to see text left-justified, then why force it?

Having said that, any thoughts on what I should buy? The Kindle 2 is not for me. Paying $161 every time the screen breaks adds up in a hurry. The last time they wouldn't replace it for that much, I would have had to pay full price. That means a working Kindle cost me $783 over the course of 3 weeks. And, the Kobo, although nice at $149, has terrible text (for my preference). I wouldn't buy it if it were $49, given the text options.

Sony? Nook?
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
dwallbaum
Zealot

Hmmm... given modest protection, the K2 has proven pretty durable for me. I have dropped it a coupla times, but it was in a neoprene slip case. Don't leave home without it!

I have just played with a Nook for about 30 mins. or so, and I gotta say, I am impressed. The quality of display is superior to the K2, but it too is fully-justified and I didn't see an option for changing.

Now, the odd thing is, I have read one book ("Imperium: a Novel of Ancient Rome") which was ragged-right mainly but parts were fully-justified. BUT the followup: "Conspirata" was fully-justified. Go figure.

Don
Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #14
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
I remove the right justification with Calibre. You can only do this with books that have no drm. I would love to have a ragged right possibility on my Kindle Dxi. It is one of a few things that are still missing (most in the formatting department). PLEASE AMAZON !
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
On my K1's, we immediately went to ragged right - I really wish the DX had that option (and now, I suppose, I must wait until a 2.5 compatible hack arrives to try it).

As for fragile - I have to ask how you managed to break so many screens? Sitting on them? Stuffing unprotected into a knapsack with a bunch of other stuff and throwing them (or stacking under heavy weights)? I've had my original K1 two years and the other 4 in the family for between then and a year, with no screen issues at all. Many people have taken them into battle zones and carried them in packs while in the field without issues (they do, however, break when subjected to IED's, which is NOT covered by the warranty and the kid that just sailed around the world discovered that too much salt air does eventually corrode the contacts to the point it can't be charged, if not protected).

But breaking two screens in three weeks? Even if you dropped the first one while holding it loosely (and naked, which makes the K2 slippery due to the marketing selection of a metal back that gets good style reviews, versus the much more functional rubber back on the K1), I would think that when the next one arrived you would have (a) put it into a less slippery skin or cover, (b) been more careful in handling and (c) bought an extended warranty that covered accidental damage.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote