Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are converting to PDF, there may be a better way to do it. Take your source and convert to HTMLZ. UnZIP the contents on the .htmlz (you can rename to .zip if that helps) and load the HTML into Word or some other word processor. Clean it up there and then save as PDF.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-06-2018 at 06:07 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #17
mzso
Enthusiast
mzso began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a book coding question, though, not a conversion question.
Well, the header options are in the converter settings in the pdf output section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-pdf-header.png
Views:	271
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	162109  

Last edited by issybird; 02-06-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Thumbnail suffices.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fair enough, but it's the code that matters, not the place where it's used, and this is the correct forum to discuss coding issues.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #19
mzso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are converting to ePub, there may be a better way to do it. Take your source and convert to HTMLZ. UnZIP the contents on the .htmlz (you can rename to .zip if that helps) and load the HTML into Word or some other word processor. Clean it up there and then save as PDF.
I'm converting to PDF as I said. But I guess you misspoke.

It doesn't seem better to me. I'd replace a one step process with a convoluted 4-5 step process, which I need to do by hand (if I can) instead of Calibre doing it for me automatically.
So If this could be done properly with the code in the header field I could use it for all (or at least many) books in bulk.

Quote:
Fair enough, but it's the code that matters, not the place where it's used, and this is the correct forum to discuss coding issues.
If you say so, but it might be a calibre issue that all my attempts failed while using css in the header field.

Last edited by mzso; 02-06-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try putting the same code that you're using in the conversion options into the book itself, and see what happens then. That will tell you whether the issue lies in the code or the conversion process. Ie add a dummy heading somewhere in the book using that code, and see how it displays.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-06-2018 at 06:09 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 06:10 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I'm converting to PDF as I said. But I guess you misspoke.
I misstyped. I did mean to put PDF and not ePub. But my directions are still very valid.

Quote:
It doesn't seem better to me. I'd replace a one step process with a convoluted 4-5 step process, which I need to do by hand (if I can) instead of Calibre doing it for me automatically.
So If this could be done properly with the code in the header field I could use it for all (or at least many) books in bulk.
Sometimes a one-step process in't always the best. With this directions I gave you, you'll have more control over the conversion.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #22
mzso
Enthusiast

@JSWolf @HarryT

I only wanted a measly line at the bottom of the header using the pdf output options. That's what I need help with.

And not waste days converting between different other formats, hand editing documents and experimenting, per book.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #23
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Well, the header options are in the converter settings in the pdf output section.
You should have posted the capture directly, it would have ben easier to understand what you want to do.

The line goes at the top because you're using float. Your text is "floating" on the left or the right but it's not taken in consideration for the placement of the border. You need to add another <p> element at the end with clear:both,
for exemple:
Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;"><p style="float:left;">_TITLE_</p><p style="float:right;"><i>_SECTION_</i></p><p style="clear:both;" /></div><hr />
or
Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;border-bottom: 2px solid black;"><p style="float:left;">_TITLE_</p><p style="float:right;"><i>_SECTION_</i></p><p style="clear:both;" /></div>
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #24
mzso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
You should have posted the capture directly, it would have ben easier to understand what you want to do.

The line goes at the top because you're using float. Your text is "floating" on the left or the right but it's not taken in consideration for the placement of the border. You need to add another <p> element at the end with clear:both,
for exemple:
Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;"><p style="float:left;">_TITLE_</p><p style="float:right;"><i>_SECTION_</i></p><p style="clear:both;" /></div><hr />
or
Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;border-bottom: 2px solid black;"><p style="float:left;">_TITLE_</p><p style="float:right;"><i>_SECTION_</i></p><p style="clear:both;" /></div>
Thanks. Though still not quite right. I didn't get any line at all.
So on a hunch I increased the header height (I had it set at 40 as you can see above). and after that the line appeared. So it seems that the line is overlapped by the content. (Which means some of my attempts might have been successful also)
It's also too far below the header text to be aesthetic.

Is this supposed to happen? It feels like a bug to me, I'd expect the div to not be able to extend below the content.

Never mind. I figured out a way to fix this. (See below.)

Last edited by mzso; 02-06-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The line should be closer to the header text and more space below the line.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #26
mzso
Enthusiast

So I managed to tweak it by setting the div height:

Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;border-bottom: 1px solid black; height: 30pt; "><p style="float:left;">_TITLE_</p><p style="float:right;"><i>_SECTION_</i></p><p style="clear:both;" /></div>
Thanks Nicolas F!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #27
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Try playing around with height property:
Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;border-bottom: 2px solid black;height:30px;"><p style="float:left;height:30px;">_TITLE_</p><p style="float:right;height:30px;"><i>_SECTION_</i></p><p style="clear:both;" /></div>
There is probably a better way to do this, but it should work

Edit:Too late! It's good it worked for you!
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Actually, Harry, I'd have said the Workshop Forum, at most; given that his issue is with a Calibre conversion--from ePUB to PDF--I think he'd have been better off at the Calibre forums. But...you're the Greenie!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote