Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 PM   #31
Bobco
Bobco began at the beginning.

Device: Older Kindle DX
No worries ... I truly appreciate the assistance!
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #32
langelgjm
langelgjm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Same bug, happy to test future versions, will look at github, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
OK, that output looks good. Sort of. It shows a bug in the code - so I will have to get back to the editor and fix it. Sorry for the small steps, but I simply don't have a device to actually test. Will get back as soon as I had a chance to fix it.
Just wanted to chime in here with some info: first off, I get the same bug:

Code:
[root@kindle kvncviewer]# ./luajit vncviewer.lua -password ***** 192.168.3.1:5900
could not open input device /dev/input/event2 (possibly harmless)
01/03/2015 11:41:15 VNC server supports protocol version 4.1 (viewer 3.8)
01/03/2015 11:41:15 We have 1 security types to read
01/03/2015 11:41:15 0) Received security type 2
01/03/2015 11:41:15 Selecting security type 2 (0/1 in the list)
01/03/2015 11:41:15 Selected Security Scheme 2
01/03/2015 11:41:15 VNC authentication succeeded
01/03/2015 11:41:15 Desktop name "computer-2"
01/03/2015 11:41:15 Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.8
01/03/2015 11:41:15 VNC server default format:
01/03/2015 11:41:15   32 bits per pixel.
01/03/2015 11:41:15   Least significant byte first in each pixel.
01/03/2015 11:41:15   TRUE colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
./luajit: ./ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua:27: attempt to call global 'ioctl' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        ./ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua:27: in function 'einkUpdateFunc'
        ./ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua:265: in function 'refresh'
        vncviewer.lua:99: in function 'cb'
        ./ffi/eventloop.lua:188: in function 'loop'
        ./ffi/input_kindle.lua:42: in function 'waitForEvent'
        vncviewer.lua:315: in main chunk
        [C]: at 0x0000c368
[root@kindle kvncviewer]#
Also, I had to remount the root file system without the noexec option, which was preventing me from running luajit in the first place.

And, as you can see above, I had to specify port 5900. I am running RealVNC server on a Mac.

Also, hawhill, first off thanks for your efforts. Second, since I have a device to test on, I might try to take a look at your github repo and see if I can't have a crack at it, though I suspect it's going to be a good bit beyond my abilities.
langelgjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by langelgjm View Post
- - - - -
Also, I had to remount the root file system without the noexec option, which was preventing me from running luajit in the first place.
- - - - -
That should be (should have been) handled by the jailbreak installation.

Re-install your jailbreak using the most recent JB release (and do a full re-boot afterward, if the JB installation doesn't do that for you).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #34
langelgjm
langelgjm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Have it working, in principle

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That should be (should have been) handled by the jailbreak installation.

Re-install your jailbreak using the most recent JB release (and do a full re-boot afterward, if the JB installation doesn't do that for you).
Thanks, will try that. FWIW my telnet session also always drops after a few minutes. I have not really bothered with any of this for a year, but my wife was away this week and took our external monitor, which gave me the impetus to try again.

Made a few changes to the code, recompiled, and I now have it working on my Kindle DX. I have attached the zipped binary package, as well as a screenshot in action.

hawhill, I have submitted a pull request with the changes to you on GitHub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150301_184330.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	135483  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kvncviewer-arm-linux-gnueabi-.zip (443.6 KB, 303 views)
langelgjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 AM   #35
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Thank you so much! I guess others will be quite happy about this, too. I really felt bad about letting them down, but other things in my life take up all the time, unfortunately. So glad you stepped in!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #36
J_VM
J_VM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I haven't been able to run this into my K4 (jailbroken)... it just gets my back to the kindle main page, with the books and so on... Has anybody been able to run it under k4? I'd love to connect it to my phone over wifi...

Thank you Hawhill for your time writing the code!

EDIT: I just realised that if I dont set any password for the vnc server it works! Its great!

Last edited by J_VM; 04-22-2015 at 10:20 AM.
J_VM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #37
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by langelgjm View Post
Thanks, will try that. FWIW my telnet session also always drops after a few minutes. I have not really bothered with any of this for a year, but my wife was away this week and took our external monitor, which gave me the impetus to try again.

Made a few changes to the code, recompiled, and I now have it working on my Kindle DX. I have attached the zipped binary package, as well as a screenshot in action.

hawhill, I have submitted a pull request with the changes to you on GitHub.
In this version, the
Code:
setPixelDithered(x, y, color)
piece of code is removed! (in ffi/blitbuffer.lua)
As a result, beware that option -dither_bw won't work.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #38
Bobco
Bobco began at the beginning.

Device: Older Kindle DX
Almost working ...

[I'm cross-posting this from another thread that I just realized is really old]

So, I am a newbie to all this and seem to be successful in all the steps until the very last command to fire things up, then things go awry. I installed the files posted on this thread by langelgjm, and followed the instructions I found here: http://www.techhive.com/article/2595...c_display.html

I installed the files on the Kindle DX in the root directory in a folder call "kvncviewer"

Following the steps in the link above, everything goes as expected, till I enter the last command.

I am in this directory: [root@kindle root]

I enter the command: /mnt/us/kvncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

and get this message: stdin:1: unexpected symbol near '/'

I'm soooo close (I think) .... Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct this or what I have done incorrectly? Please keep in mind I am not skilled in any of this and am just trying to get this working so my wife, who suffered a concussion and can't look at a standard monitor, can read her email again. Thanks!
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #39
e-ghost
e-ghost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXF
hi hawhill, I found that after I changed to use this new gen kvncviewer instead, my kindle dxg always do full screen refresh if relatively more screen content was changed (which it was not that much actually). Which config I should change to avoid excessive refresh? Increase -refreshFullAfterPixels or set it to 0?
(I found the old kindlevncviewer is quite visually stable for me as a secondary monitor, just needed to be more patient....

from the vncviewer.lua, I found there are few options:

-dither_bw
Quote:
[root@kindle kvncviewer]# /mnt/us/kvncviewer/luajit /mnt/us/kvncviewer/vncviewer.lua -dither_bw -password xyz123abc 192.168.137.1:0
/mnt/us/kvncviewer/luajit: /mnt/us/kvncviewer/vncviewer.lua:263: 'struct BlitBuffer4' has no member named 'setPixelDithered'
stack traceback:
/mnt/us/kvncviewer/vncviewer.lua:263: in main chunk
[C]: at 0x0000c350
[root@kindle kvncviewer]#

-medium
-fast

Seems don't have much visual or performance differences for me.

Please teach me how to make use of the new gen kvncviewer for better usage. Thank you very much!!

Last edited by e-ghost; 11-21-2015 at 11:42 AM.
e-ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #40
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
help required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Works perfectly on PW1, Hans! And no more inverted colors! Beautiful work, thank you!

Hi I have a very Little experience with programming, can you please tell me how I can install this extension on a Kindle paperwhite three. I would really like to use my kindle paperwhite as a display to avoid headaches and eyestrain.

My pw3 is jailbroken and I have USB networking installed. I just cannot work out how to install this extension using my Mac.

Any help will be appreciated
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #41
Staphoent
Connoisseur

What app on the Kindle do I use in order to execute the script:

./luajit vncviewer.lua 192.168.2.2

???
Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #42
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is an entry to be put on the command line.
(and it probably ends with: '&' as the last character on the line)

It has been a long time since I read the directions for this, but I think people where using ssh to access the command line.
Probably because it was already installed as a requirement (it is included in USBnetworking).
Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #43
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
That is an entry to be put on the command line.
(and it probably ends with: '&' as the last character on the line)

It has been a long time since I read the directions for this, but I think people where using ssh to access the command line.
Probably because it was already installed as a requirement (it is included in USBnetworking).
Is it possible to execute the code via telnet as I can't seem to get round the ssh password issue on my kindle/mac
Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
Is it possible to execute the code via telnet as I can't seem to get round the ssh password issue on my kindle/mac
Use public key authentication.

We even have a tutorial for the Mac users on that subject here.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #45
Staphoent
Connoisseur

key authentication tutorial

Quote:
Use public key authentication.

We even have a tutorial for the Mac users on that subject here.
I can't seem to find the tutorial on the forum or on the wiki, can you please direct me to it?