Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Einsam
Einsam began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD & Samsung Galaxy Nook
Question Conversion Question

I used Calibre v2.83 to convert a Kindle Book to epub. The file did not have DRM protection and seemed to convert fine. However, when I try to open the book on my Nook HD or Samsung Galaxy Nook, I get an error and the book will not open.

The book will load and open properly when using the Nook App on my PC.

Any ideas of why this is happening and how I can get the book to open on one of my Nook Tablets?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Einsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert your book to MOBI, then convert the MOBI to EPUB. That will destroy any advanced formatting, but it might workaround whatever the problem with the tablet app is.

Or just use a better epub reading software on your tablet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Einsam

I tried converting to MOBI, but still have the same issue - No idea what the issue is, as all I get is an error message saying "Cannot open this file"

I don't think it is the ereader software, as it only happens occasionally - most books open without any issues.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsam View Post
I tried converting to MOBI, but still have the same issue - No idea what the issue is, as all I get is an error message saying "Cannot open this file"

I don't think it is the ereader software, as it only happens occasionally - most books open without any issues.

Any other ideas?
You've left out a lot of detail, some of which may be critical to finding a solution.

Conversion in calibre leaves the converted ebook in the calibre library on your computer. The reader software on your device(s) can only read ebooks that are stored on the device. Somehow, you are copying or moving the converted file to the device. Exactly how????????
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Einsam

I use the USB cable to transfer the epub version from the computer to the Nook. I open the Nook on the computer through the USB cable, then do a copy and paste to the folder I created on the SD Card.

Most books open without any issue and only occasionally yield an error.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I use the USB cable to transfer the epub version from the computer to the Nook. I open the Nook on the computer through the USB cable, then do a copy and paste to the folder I created on the SD Card.

That is not the (best) calibre way. (Calibre knows what format to send each device)
Connect the device.
Wait for calibre to recognize (and finish the scan). The job wheel in tk lower right will stop. (and you should now wee an OnDevice column.
(Multi)Select books. Use the Send to device Icon (or right-click menu).
Wait for the Job wheel to stop.
Select Eject form the Device Icon (small arrow or right click)
Unhook when the On Device column dispersal
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #7
Einsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is not the (best) calibre way. (Calibre knows what format to send each device)
Connect the device.
Wait for calibre to recognize (and finish the scan). The job wheel in tk lower right will stop. (and you should now wee an OnDevice column.
(Multi)Select books. Use the Send to device Icon (or right-click menu).
Wait for the Job wheel to stop.
Select Eject form the Device Icon (small arrow or right click)
Unhook when the On Device column dispersal
I'm sorry, but your instructions do not make a lot of sense - When I transfer books after conversion, I need to transfer them to 2 different Nook HDs and 2 different Samsung Galaxy Tab Nooks.

I tried getting Calibre to recognize and download books from a Kindle Fire, but this seemed to have issues too.

I am very comfortable with technology, but this problem has me stumped.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm sorry, but your instructions do not make a lot of sense - When I transfer books after conversion, I need to transfer them to 2 different Nook HDs and 2 different Samsung Galaxy Tab Nooks.
theducks was suggesting you let calibre work out the format to send to the devices. When they are connected, calibre will recognise them. You then select the books you want on the device and press the send button, or choose from a menu. Calibre will then look at each book, select the format for the device and send that. If there is no suitable format, calibre will convert to the most suitable format for the device. While doing the send, calibre will also update the metadata and covers in the books.

The configuration for each driver can be changed with what is the preferred format and the location to put the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
Einsam

Okay, I understand that you say I should allow Calibre to determine the format. This still does not explain why most files open the way I was doing it, but others do not open. Nor does it explain why a file will give an error when trying to open it on the Nook, but will load in and open on the Nook App on my PC.

I am trying to understand the inconsistency.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay, I understand that you say I should allow Calibre to determine the format. This still does not explain why most files open the way I was doing it, but others do not open. Nor does it explain why a file will give an error when trying to open it on the Nook, but will load in and open on the Nook App on my PC.

I am trying to understand the inconsistency.
Your PC has lots more resources than you device.
Someone probably made a monolithic (1 xhtml file) Epub
you PC can handle that.
~600 KB per 'section' was the max my old PEz (ADE) could handle.
Many of us still work with Chapter/file for ease of edits and performance YMMV
Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
Einsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your PC has lots more resources than you device.
Someone probably made a monolithic (1 xhtml file) Epub
you PC can handle that.
~600 KB per 'section' was the max my old PEz (ADE) could handle.
Many of us still work with Chapter/file for ease of edits and performance YMMV
If that was the issue, I would expect to see the problem with more than just an occasional book. File Size does not seem to be the issue, as Larger Box Sets have opened just fine, while a small book file exhibits the problem.

Also, if the issue is due to a software issue, why do I see the same issue on both a Nook HD (several years old) and a newer Samsung Galaxy Nook?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
If that was the issue, I would expect to see the problem with more than just an occasional book. File Size does not seem to be the issue, as Larger Box Sets have opened just fine, while a small book file exhibits the problem.

Also, if the issue is due to a software issue, why do I see the same issue on both a Nook HD (several years old) and a newer Samsung Galaxy Nook?

File size limits in Digital Editions

EPUB 3 : 300kb HTML file size limit

That is the spec. But most ereaders and e-book reader apps can not handle a file size over 260kb, I know from experience that a Nook can and will some times fail on a 260kb file.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The issue is not the size of the ebook file, its the size of the files within the ebook file. If you open an ePub with the book-editor you can see the files and their sizes via Tools->Reports->Files.

You'll probably find the Larger Boxed Sets are split into several XHTML files, perhaps one XHTML file per chapter and they're all less that 260KB; whereas the recalcitrant books probably have a single much larger XHTML file.

A book can be split into 'Chapter' files is via the Conversion Structure Detection options, another way is to use the splitter tool in the ebook editor. No doubt there other ways too.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Einsam,

Inconsistent errors can drive you crazy!

Quick question to confirm what you've said: "Most books open without any issue". Are you saying that most books that have been converted from Kindle to ePUB open without issue? Or, is it just the books that did not need conversion to ePUB that open without issue?
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

Internal File Size, not overall BOOK size