Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #106
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Did you ever get a reply to your request?
No, I guess it's time to chase this again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #107
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've sent:

Spoiler:
Dear Amazon,

I am writing to get an official, on-the-record, reply to a question about digital content and unrequested closure of accounts.

Sometimes Amazon decides to close a customer's Amazon account. My question is not about the reasons Amazon might have to close an account.

My question is about the consequences of such a closure on access to purchased digital content - ebooks, music and audiobooks.

In 2012, Amazon made a statement to the national press that closure of an Amazon account would not affect the customer's access to their purchased digital content.

See http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...eletes-account

Quote:
Update: Amazon contacted us on 23 October 2012 to say it has posted the following statement on its customer forum: "We would like to clarify our policy on this topic. Account status should not affect any customer's ability to access their library. If any customer has trouble accessing their content, he or she should contact customer service for help."
However, I contacted you earlier this month to get confirmation that this was still your policy, and received this reply:

"At this time, I'd like to confirm that if your account is closed for any reason, it is true that you will lose access to your purchased Digital content."

I did send a follow-up question, asking about this inconsistency, but I have not received a reply. And so I'm writing to you again.

While I don't think there's any likelihood that you'll decide to close my account, I would like to know what Amazon's current official position is on the availability of purchased digital content in the event that Amazon decides to close an account.

I didn't expect that this would be a difficult question to answer, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Paul Durrant
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #108
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Are you considering trying the jeff@amazon.com address if you get no CS reply?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #109
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I got two replies, both of which missed the point entirely. I've sent another follow-up.

Answer 1:
Spoiler:
Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused in this regard.

From your email, I understand your concern regarding that you wish to access your previously purchased Kindle contents, musics, audio books even if the account is closed.

Please be informed that, Once the account has been closed you cannot access your purchased Kindle contents. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment this has caused.

Further, regarding musics, the concerned team will assist you regarding the issue.

Should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks for your understanding caused in this regard.

Warmest regards,

Aparna K.
Amazon.co.uk
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Answer 2:
Spoiler:
Hello,

I'm Vikram from Amazon Customer Escalations Team.

I've reviewed your email and understand your concern.

Once your account is closed, it's no longer accessible by you or anyone else. You won't be able to access your order history or print a proof of purchase or an invoice. Additionally, the following will no longer be available to you:

* your Amazon.co.uk Marketplace account
* your accounts at Amazon.com, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, Amazon.es, Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.br
* your Wish List, or About You page
* your Amazon.co.uk Associates account
* your Author account
* your Kindle library
* your Amazon Music account
* your Amazon Appstore purchases
* your Cloud Drive account
* your Audible.co.uk account
* your Amazon Local account
* your Amazon Video account
* your Public Profile including your reviews, discussion posts and customer images

If you'd like to order from us again, you'll need to start a new account. Please be advised, taking this action will also close accounts on other Amazon sites.

If you still have any concern, please reply to this email and we'll assist you further.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/surv...em_hmdyes_pt_1

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/surv...cem_hmdno_pt_1

Warmest regards,

Vikram Singh
Amazon.co.uk
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

My follow-up question:
Spoiler:
My question wasn't answered. Please review my original question, which was written carefully (attached at bottom).

tl;dr: What happens to access to ebooks, etc, if Amazon closes my account against my wishes?

Original question:
I am writing to get an official, on-the-record, reply to a question about digital content and unrequested closure of accounts.

Sometimes Amazon decides to close a customer's Amazon account. My question is not about the reasons Amazon might have to close an account.

My question is about the consequences of such a closure on access to purchased digital content - ebooks, music and audiobooks.

In 2012, Amazon made a statement to the national press that closure of an Amazon account would not affect the customer's access to their purchased digital content.

See http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...eletes-account

Quote:
Update: Amazon contacted us on 23 October 2012 to say it has posted the following statement on its customer forum: "We would like to clarify our policy on this topic. Account status should not affect any customer's ability to access their library. If any customer has trouble accessing their content, he or she should contact customer service for help."
However, I contacted you earlier this month to get confirmation that this was still your policy, and received this reply:

"At this time, I'd like to confirm that if your account is closed for any reason, it is true that you will lose access to your purchased Digital content."

I did send a follow-up question, asking about this inconsistency, but I have not received a reply. And so I'm writing to you again.

While I don't think there's any likelihood that you'll decide to close my account, I would like to know what Amazon's current official position is on the availability of purchased digital content in the event that Amazon decides to close an account.

I didn't expect that this would be a difficult question to answer, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #110
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The reply from your original query was more helpful. Are they being deliberately obtuse?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #111
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The reply from your original query was more helpful. Are they being deliberately obtuse?
I would say yes, but I think it's more a case of Amazon refusing to answer the question. They don't have a policy other than 'we close your account, you lose the lot, if not straight away then eventually when your devices no longer work'.

Anything said before was simply to limit public relations fallout.

Even IF Amazon had a policy they wouldn't quote it as it's obviously not for the customers benefit.

I would also caution pdurrant on the merits of keep asking. Don't get on their bad side, it's not worth it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #112
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I would say yes, but I think it's more a case of Amazon refusing to answer the question. They don't have a policy other than 'we close your account, you lose the lot, if not straight away then eventually when your devices no longer work'.

Even IF Amazon had a policy they wouldn't quote it as it's obviously not for the customers benefit.

I would also caution pdurrant on the merits of keep asking. Don't get on their bad side, it's not worth it.
Did they close your account?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #113
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Did they close your account?
No and i'm not buying goods from them anymore as I'd like to keep my account open.

I only buy free or cheap ebooks and really cheap whispersync audiobooks. I cancelled my membership.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #114
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Or it's a case of the question not being properly read. It seems they're answering/reading any question regarding account closure with the assumption that it's an account closed by the customers request. Has there been any actual incident where this has come about since the 2012 incident that prompted them to tell people they wouldn't lose their stuff? There's already been a link to one thread on the Amazon forums where someone said they can access their stuff and that if they buy a new device (not through Amazon) that they can contact CS and have a 24 hour window to register it. Now granted their account was still in some kind of "hold" limbo IIRC, but that's the whole point of this thread, to get a real answer among conflicting info. I just wonder if the only way to get a real answer is to not contact CS, but for someone acting as the press to contact them asking for an official statement on the matter.

Quote:
It's certainly possible, but why would you release an official statement like that and have it not be true? It would just make things worse the next time the issue hit the web.

Quote:
This seems like complete FUD. What basis is there for saying they have some kind of "bad side" to get on implying that they'll retaliate in some way because someone is asking questions?

I don't know the true answer one way or the other and clearly Amazon CS is falling down on the job of giving any kind of meaningful answer, or perhaps even reading the question. It would be nice to have an official answer/statement not relying on low tiered CS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #115
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Or it's a case of the question not being properly read.
I really wonder if the questions are actually being read by a person, or just going through some sort of filter that spits out a canned response.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #116
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I really wonder if the questions are actually being read by a person, or just going through some sort of filter that spits out a canned response.
It does almost seem that way.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:36 AM   #117
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This seems like complete FUD. What basis is there for saying they have some kind of "bad side" to get on implying that they'll retaliate in some way because someone is asking questions?.
I have no idea what FUD is but I am consciousthat he is only asking the question because of my original thread and fears, I doubt he would have thought about it if I hadn't raised the issue. I would feel responsible if anything were to happen to his account because they got fed up with his qurstions.

Remember I'm not exactly a fan of anyone at Amazon CS and I don't think highly of there famed good service.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-30-2015 at 02:03 AM. Reason: fixed your quote :)
Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 AM   #118
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I have no idea what FUD is [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_...inty_and_doubt

Quote:
[...] but I am consciousthat he is only asking the question because of my original thread and fears, I doubt he would have thought about it if I hadn't raised the issue. I would feel responsible if anything were to happen to his account because they got fed up with his qurstions.

Remember I'm not exactly a fan of anyone at Amazon CS and I don't think highly of there famed good service.
And your not-a-fan attitude towards Amazon CS is exactly why you have been suspected of spreading FUD.

I am pretty sure pdurrant isn't stupid, and has considered the risk that Amazon might try to hush him for asking questions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 AM   #119
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_...inty_and_doubt
And your not-a-fan attitude towards Amazon CS is exactly why you have been suspected of spreading FUD.
I was a fan though, I've bought three Kindle Fires in the last year plus a Kindle Voyage. Would I really do that if I thought I was acting incorrectly
Old 10-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #120
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Or it's a case of the question not being properly read. It seems they're answering/reading any question regarding account closure with the assumption that it's an account closed by the customers request.
I think it's precisely this. Having re-read my second attempt, I see that even there I wasn't sufficiently explicit to rule out a reading of my question as if I wanted to close my account. That's why I've tried to be completely explicit in my follow-up.