Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I told my wife tonight I was thinking of getting a new Reader and I was waiting to see about the new model and she didn't disagree. Gotta love when you can tell the wife ahead of the purchase and she's not disagreeing with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I told my wife tonight I was thinking of getting a new Reader and I was waiting to see about the new model and she didn't disagree. Gotta love when you can tell the wife ahead of the purchase and she's not disagreeing with it.
What is she going to say after she wakes up?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #48
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Well. Time to start saving up so that I can eventually get this when my Touch 2.0 bites the dust.
E'lir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:58 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'lir View Post
Well. Time to start saving up so that I can eventually get this when my Touch 2.0 bites the dust.
That is a good idea to start saving.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What is she going to say after she wakes up?
She'll talk to the dog who needs to go to the garden to go do his business. I'm usually asleep when she wakes up.
Advert
Old 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #51
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
For me the audiobooks would be more of a novelty on the ereader. I would rather use my phone, can dock it at home or listen to it in the car (the car stereo will also mute it on an incoming call).

But where it could be great is for people who are vision impaired but can still navigate an ereader. When looking at the pocketbook, I noticed it is compatible with "text to speech" from what i understand the ebook needs to be formatted for "text to speech" as well? So I assume people could listen to audiobooks and ebooks.

I just hope Kobo don't only have 1 flagship model (eg the largest screen like the Forma) and it only comes with the audiobook support. I can imagine them costing it at an outrageous amount similar to the ancient Rome 8gb to 32gb model...
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:30 AM   #52
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
IMHO for audiobooks is better a device with 6" screen because a larger screen is useless for them. I have no more place on the memory of the phone so for audiobooks I use the PB633 Color and it works well. I connect it with a jack to a speaker trough a adapter cable so it consumes less battery and it sounds much higher. It works well also text to speech but I only tried it, I don't really use it. So I think that for Audiobooks something like Clara with audio support could be better than a Forma.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:30 AM   #53
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
So I think that for Audiobooks something like Clara with audio support could be better than a Forma.
Clara feature (Glo, Glo HD) - removable SD card. Unfortunately, the new device has eMMC card, and I'm inclined to believe that it will be a completely new device, perhaps with a smaller diagonal than the Forma. But not a replacement for Clara.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:20 AM   #54
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
- This one will have either additional buttons or additional configuration options for the existing buttons.

Like the majority of commenters in this thread, I'm as eager for audiobook functionality as I am for a DIY dentistry course, but new buttons, or new tricks for old buttons? THAT could be tempting.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #55
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The thing about audiobooks on an ereader is that I really think it's only of use for read-along - when the words are highlighted to match the sounds. Without that, the ereader becomes just another audio device (a role better filled by your phone).

It took Amazon years to develop that ability, and we have no evidence Kobo has matched it. Without that, I just don't see any value in audiobooks on your ereader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
For me the audiobooks would be more of a novelty on the ereader. I would rather use my phone, can dock it at home or listen to it in the car (the car stereo will also mute it on an incoming call).

But where it could be great is for people who are vision impaired but can still navigate an ereader. When looking at the pocketbook, I noticed it is compatible with "text to speech" from what i understand the ebook needs to be formatted for "text to speech" as well? So I assume people could listen to audiobooks and ebooks.

I just hope Kobo don't only have 1 flagship model (eg the largest screen like the Forma) and it only comes with the audiobook support. I can imagine them costing it at an outrageous amount similar to the ancient Rome 8gb to 32gb model...
I agree about audiobooks. I listen mostly in the car and it's a lot easier to use the audible app in carplay for that. I don't buy audiobooks from Kobo, so it's not really a feature I'm interested in. I simply like having all my books on the device, thus more memory is good for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The thing about audiobooks on an ereader is that I really think it's only of use for read-along - when the words are highlighted to match the sounds. Without that, the ereader becomes just another audio device (a role better filled by your phone).

It took Amazon years to develop that ability, and we have no evidence Kobo has matched it. Without that, I just don't see any value in audiobooks on your ereader.
I thought immersion reading was available only on the Kindle app, not on Kindle ereaders. So no point at all even for Amazon.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #58
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Only thing I want is USB-C. My Libra is only device I use that doesn't have USB-C, it is annoying to carry another cable just for the Libra.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I thought immersion reading was available only on the Kindle app, not on Kindle ereaders. So no point at all even for Amazon.
Maybe I got the features mixed up, then.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #60
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
but, for me at least, it's the most perfectly ergonomic electronic device I've ever seen -- size, weight, shape, balance, texture, orientation options, lighting and text customization..... I wouldn't have believed how comfortable it is to hold and read on before I got one. I still occasionally get giddy when I pick it up and feel how light it is.
I wholeheartedly echo your sentiments!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote