Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
EPUB file fails to open

I've had a JetBook Lite for several weeks. I've read several short novels without any problems -- until now. I'm posting this here because the problem seems to be in the JetBook Lite.

The file that is giving me trouble is the EPUB file of Grins and Bears It, accessed though this post in the Deals, Freebies, and Resources forum. I moved it to an SD card just like all of the other files I have, but when I try to open it the screen hesitates for a moment, then displays a rectangle saying "Failed to Open" (or words to that effect).

I have no trouble opening and reading the file on the computer using Firefox with the EPUBReader add-on.

Can anyone shed light on this problem? Hopefully there's a simple tweak or fix.

Thanks!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
??? I just checked and the epub file opens OK for me from my JBL's SD card. Maybe just try redownloading it? But make sure to have the device ON when you reload the SD card so the JBL reads the new file.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Catlady, no idea why, but that did it. What had me scratching my head was that the file was readable to Firefox/EPUBReader. I wasn't sure if this was an idiosyncrasy of the JBL or what.

I don't know that it matters, but I generally put the SD card in a card reader and move files directly to it from the computer, then I close it up and put the loaded card in the JBL. If this happens again I'll try to take a closer look at the file to see if anything has been corrupted.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Thanks, Catlady, no idea why, but that did it. What had me scratching my head was that the file was readable to Firefox/EPUBReader. I wasn't sure if this was an idiosyncrasy of the JBL or what.

I don't know that it matters, but I generally put the SD card in a card reader and move files directly to it from the computer, then I close it up and put the loaded card in the JBL. If this happens again I'll try to take a closer look at the file to see if anything has been corrupted.
Glad it worked for you--I don't have a clue as to why, though! I use a card reader too, rather than USB for transferring files.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is not uncommon for there to be some difficulty properly completing file transfers to
external storage devices. This can be a problem even for plug&play type interfaces, if
the computer is taking longer than it should to close the file and the device is removed.

Using a 2.0 USB device on the computer is much to be preferred over the 1.1 USB interface of the JBL itself.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
cromag

Hmmm, I didn't know the JBL used a 1.1 USB interface. I might switch down to one of my older, low speed, low capacity cards -- I have several ranging from 32 MB to 512 MB that I got with my old camera way back when. Still plenty big enough for a reasonable library, I would think.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Hmmm, I didn't know the JBL used a 1.1 USB interface. I might switch down to one of my older, low speed, low capacity cards -- I have several ranging from 32 MB to 512 MB that I got with my old camera way back when. Still plenty big enough for a reasonable library, I would think.
In this case the JBL's 1.1 USB interface is not an issue for the JBL's SD card
reader and in no way does it effect the SD cards you can use. The JBL's SD
card reader handles SDHC cards up to 32GB. I have tried out 16GB class 6
cards and have had no problems. That said anything over 4GB class 2 is way
overkill. I use a regular 2GB SD card formatted to FAT32 to hold 1.58GB in
6439 files, within 48 folders.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-04-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Have you tried converting to another format with Calibre and resending? You never know what bugs are in some formatting..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook lite