Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Magnetic catch on ebook cover

I'm sorry if I've posted this question in the wrong place, but I can't see anywhere else to put it.

I've just bought a cover for my ebook reader. The cover happens to be a Tuff-Luv leather case for my Amazon Kindle 2. But my question isn't specific to that particular cover or reader.

My worry is that the cover has a magnetic catch. Now, I was brought up always to keep magnets away from computers. Obviously, the catch won't be a problem for the Kindle, otherwise Tuff-Luv would have stopped making the cover long ago. But what if I place the Kindle on top of my laptop, or in the same rucksack as my iPod Touch? Is the catch likely to do any harm, or am I worrying about nothing? (Obviously, it's not a very powerful magnet.)

I'd appreciate advice from you experts.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
I don't consider myself to be "an expert" () but nevertheless:

My lbook (OEM Hanlin V3) came with a cover with magnetic catch and there have never been problems so far. Didn't hear of complications from other users either.

So you don't need to worry IMHO.

Enjoy your reader!

beachwanderer
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Your hard drive contains a pair of rare-earth magnets far more powerful than those tiny little things on your cover. Your worry is similar to (inventing analogy...inventing analogy) being scared of a scorpion 500 feet away when you have a Jaekelopterus in your pants.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I dont think there is any reason to worry.

...well maybe a little if you used a Sony reader. Just about anything makes their software quit working correctly.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The very weak magnets used in covers aren't going to adversely affect anything. Numerous cases have them. Heck, Sony Readers even have magnets built-in to the actual device itself, as clasps for the Sony cases!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Many thanks to all of you for your reassuring replies. Most helpful.

As for the Jaekelopterus, I never knew there was such a thing. One more worry to keep me awake.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
you have a Jaekelopterus in your pants.

I love this place! Where else can you find such erudite comments?

Is that an arthropleura in your pants or you just happy to see me?

Last edited by NormHart; 01-22-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Arrrrgh, Brownies!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post

I love this place! Where else can you find such erudite comments?

Is that an arthropleura in your pants or you just happy to see me?

ahhh he probably just got an arthropod a day calendar for christmas and is trying to incorporate it names into daily conversation.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote