Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nope.
Not-a-chance.
Ergonomics look decent and I might live with the sealed battery, but:
- Touchscreen is a no-go for me; no added-value
- Built-in wireless is indifferent
- Adobe DRM is strong minus
- Apparent lack of Mobipocket support a deal killer
Basically its a Sony clone with wireless.

I'd sooner move to Kindle.
I wasn't aware of the mobi issue either. Thank you very much for your input. I think the original Bebook's going to be the final choice for me.
DianaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
The problem is that mobi sold themselves to Amazon, and Amazon now force the competition to choose between mobi and competing file formats.
Basically mobi killed themselves by losing their independence.
It is pretty clear that strategically most independent e-reader makers must move away from mobi and embrace epub.
Hard to blame BeBook about that.
That explains lack of DRM'ed Mobi.

But *zero* Mobi support?
You don't need to deal with Amazon to implement DRM-free Mobi support (OpenInkpot and the various Linux readers support it that way).
That's how the BeBook 1 has been supporting ePub, too.
The formats are documented and there is ample open source code available to support it.

The key point is no support for Mobi in *any* form.
Considering the prevalence of prc as a legacy ebook format, stripping that feature out is a big minus.

This smacks more of a force-feeding than a DRM war.
$0.02
<shrug>
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #18
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I agree with you. But we shall see if non-drm mobi files will be supported. It is possible to do it freely with FBReader, but it is not as good as the proprietary support with the Chinese plugin in CoolReader (only available in vendors' firmwares, not in OpenInkpot).
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
is there anywhere we can send letters/emails to Amazon expressing our displeasure at Mobipocket DRM wars on popular devices? Has anyone crafted a 'form letter' we can adapt and send?
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote