Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
No Sade
No Sade began at the beginning.

Device: None
Booksellers for non US residents

Hi, I have almost decided on a PRS-700, but I have som problems.

I want to buy books to a decent price, in a format that i can remove the DRM on (or non DRM books), and I want to buy them as a non US resident.

I have searched in previous treads but I must admitt I still feel a bit confused. Its actually amasing how messy the whole situation with diffrent formats and DRM is.

Witch formats do other PRS-700 users prefer?
How do you handel the situation with DRM. Even if a format is perfect now just buying a new computer seems to create problems.
No Sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, Sade

Someone with the knowledge you need will chime in soon, I'm sure.

Knowing where you are might help find an answer.....just the country would do.

Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sade View Post

I want to buy books to a decent price, in a format that i can remove the DRM on (or non DRM books), and I want to buy them as a non US resident.

I have searched in previous treads but I must admitt I still feel a bit confused. Its actually amasing how messy the whole situation with diffrent formats and DRM is.

Witch formats do other PRS-700 users prefer?
How do you handel the situation with DRM. Even if a format is perfect now just buying a new computer seems to create problems.
most region specific book stores can be bypassed by setting the country to US, and using something like paypal or a US credit card.

the DRM can be removed from Mobi and Lit files, and both are excellent sources for LRFs that you can make in Calibre or book designer.

I have never really done it, so I cant get into specifics, but Fictionwise and books on board come to mind, a quick forum search will tell you how to bypass the region lock on those book stores.

the workshop section of the forum is a good place to look around to get some clues.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
No Sade

Well I'm from Sweden, in this area totally under developed. As far as i know there is not a single reseller to any e-book reader

So its possible to bypass the restrictions on some of the the US sellers? Had a look at the ones in UK but the prices don't feel especially good.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bhphoto ships worldwide I believe. though it could be another seller.
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't have a PRS-700, but since it takes ePUB, I'd suggest mostly getting that format. DRM-removal is available for Adobe ePUBs, which are the only DRMed ePUBs at the moment.

Work around for non-US purchases from US stores:

Give US address
Use non-geographic payment, or set country to US when giving CC details, or set up a US Paypal account.

Quote:

pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
I am in the UK and have a 700 - I actually buy most of my books though through BooksOnBoard (or occasionally) Fictionwise - either in ePub format or as an MSReader format or sometimes Adobe Digital Edition PDF's for some technical books. In all cases you can remove the DRM from them and convert to LRF / ePub in the case of the MSReader files.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So its possible to bypass the restrictions on some of the the US sellers?
The thread geographic restrictions at Fictionwise has 9 pages on how to do this at FictionWise. One example is:
Quote:
In my case the simple solution was to change the delivery address of my Fictionwise account to the Boston Red Sox and to pay by my UK credit card, with the country inadvertently changed to US.
but there are other techniques that work. So far as I know, it is always possible to work around the restrictions at any site. At many sites an approach that will work is to buy gift cards on one non-US account and use them on another US-registered account.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
No Sade

Thanks for all the replies, I really love this forum

I think I will dare to place an order. If one tries to wait till the industry figures out that this is the future and perhaps it's stupid to make the same mistakes as the music industry, one would have to wait a long time (sadly).
Anyhow, the important thing was to assure myself that it was possible to buy books from a place with both good selection and possibility to remove DRM. To actually do so will be a late problem.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
FWIW I don't think I have had any issues with geographical restrictions. I actually have my Fictionwise profile using my old dutch delivery address and use a Paypal account from the UK to pay, and with BooksOnBoard I think my country is set to US, but no billing address is setup and I also use my UK paypal account there.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
No Sade

Sounds very promising. I think tomorrow is ordering day (for the reader that is).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
wpk123
wpk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Hi there

I recently bought a PRS700 from B&H. Definitely recommended! The whole experience was very good. Emails were answered within 24 hrs (probably would have been even faster if I were not so far away time-zone wise). To top it all off I was lucky, there were no import duties to pay!

Regarding online ebook retailers: I have bought from ereader.com, fictionwise.com, sony ereader store and once from Baen.

Ereader books (bought for reading on my iPhone) are in PDB format. I strip the DRM (can I admit to that without being banned?), then convert the file to LRF via calibre. Fictionwise books can be bought as multiformat or mobiread formats. Mobiread formatted books also need the DRM stripped then converted but so far I haven't had any experience with them as I haven't bought any mobiread formatted books. Baen sells them in multiformats but they are mostly SF/Fantasy books.

When buying books that have geographical restrictions, I can recommend you read the thread quoted by wallcraft. Good tips. The only problem I had was with the Sony Book Store. Although I used my US addresss (more correctly, my cousin's address), my Malaysian-based credit card was rejected. Eventually I managed to circumvent that hick-up by using an entropay.com issued debit card. I believe these cards are non-country specific cards.

There seems to be so many hoops that one has to traverse, but for me, it is still worth the effort. The books I buy (mostly SF/Fantasy/Technical) are difficult to find locally, usually more expensive and take a long time to arrive if ordered through Amazon. Plus I save trees when buying ebooks

Hope this helps.

PK
wpk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpk123 View Post
can I admit to that without being banned?
yes, you just cant name the tool anymore. or link to where to find it. I think. I've never bought from a drmed source though so I'm not sure as I don't talk about it much.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
@wpk123 -- did entropay request a copy of your ID and your credit card from you during registration? That seems rather fishy to me.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
@wpk123 -- did entropay request a copy of your ID and your credit card from you during registration? That seems rather fishy to me.
afaik it's a bank, my bank needed a bit more ID than that even. (well no credit card, but lots of ID)