Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A slow month

It sure has seemed like a slow month this month. Looking at the ebooks that I purchased this month, only 2 are new books, the rest are back catalog books that either just became available or that I just noticed as ebooks. May doesn't look to be a whole lot better. Well, maybe some more back catalog books will come out. I noticed that the first of the Myth books by Robert Aspin is out as an audiobook, maybe they will start releasing them in ebooks as well.

I guess that's a good thing, I need to work my way through some of my to be read stack. I still have the last three Wheel of Time books to read.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Back catalog books will come out? I thought that a book was considered to be back catalog once it was off the new in paperback shelf. What is the definition of a "back catalog book"?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use back catalog to refer to books that were written and were initially published some time ago. Some examples would be Glenn Cook's Black Company series that was first written and published back in the mid 80's and came out as an ebook a couple of months ago. Some that I am currently looking for in ebooks include Aspin's Myth-Adventure books, all of Roger Zelazny's books, Fiest's early books (it looks like they are collecting the Pug story line in an omnibus book, hopefully that will come out in ebook), most of David Eddings books, the Morgaine series by CJ Cherryh.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I wish they would issue Robert Asprin's the Phule's Company Series as ebooks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I liked the Phule series as well. Asprin is a classic mid range author. He was never a NY Times best seller type, but he churned out a lot of very enjoyable reads. If his backlist was available as ebooks, you would think his heirs could make some money.
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It sure has seemed like a slow month this month. Looking at the ebooks that I purchased this month, only 2 are new books, the rest are back catalog books that either just became available or that I just noticed as ebooks. May doesn't look to be a whole lot better. Well, maybe some more back catalog books will come out. I noticed that the first of the Myth books by Robert Aspin is out as an audiobook, maybe they will start releasing them in ebooks as well.

I guess that's a good thing, I need to work my way through some of my to be read stack. I still have the last three Wheel of Time books to read.
I like to check the "used books" on Amazon for 1 cent + shipping.

Then there is the Good Will, the Salavation Army, Family Dollar, the Dollar General, the $1.00 stores and their racks of new over stocks. I find a lot of gems, and I just turn back into the Good Will Store what I don't like.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I use back catalog to refer to books that were written and were initially published some time ago. Some examples would be Glenn Cook's Black Company series that was first written and published back in the mid 80's and came out as an ebook a couple of months ago. Some that I am currently looking for in ebooks include Aspin's Myth-Adventure books, all of Roger Zelazny's books, Fiest's early books (it looks like they are collecting the Pug story line in an omnibus book, hopefully that will come out in ebook), most of David Eddings books, the Morgaine series by CJ Cherryh.
The Feist and Eddings books are all available in UK/Australia. You need to 'move' (virtually that is) and then pick them up at Amazon or Kobo.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I had the opposite experience. I purchased many more books in April than I did in March, but most of them were not new. Jayne Ann Krentz had a good book.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
The Feist and Eddings books are all available in UK/Australia. You need to 'move' (virtually that is) and then pick them up at Amazon or Kobo.
Sigh. I'll never understand the publishing world (yes, I understand the technical/legal reasons, but it's also totally irrational)
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
re: reprinting Bob Asprin's books - I understand that there were rights issues (Bob was a better writer than businessman, I think), and I don't believe that any of his heirs have the ability to republish them as ebooks. (I also think he died without a will, and so his rights may have been tied up that way as well.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

As I said, the first Myth book just came out as an audiobook, so perhaps the rights issues have been straightened out.