Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Storing ebooks on DropBox or SugarSync

Hi!

I currently use SugarSync for computer backup... particularly for my ebooks so I can easily transfer them onto my iPhone 4S.

As I'm fairly new to the iPhone world, I have been trying out several ebook readers and found that I was able to use SugarSync to get the books into iBooks, BlueFire or Apabi... yet today, when I tried it, it didn't work.

I don't know if SugarSync is running too slow to work well with the iPhone transfer today or what so ....

What do you all think about using DropBox for getting ebooks loaded into the different programs I'm testing? Does it works faster? Is it better?

Yes, I know I can connect to iTunes and get the books loaded that way, too, but, if I'm traveling, I would love to be able to use the Cloud for convenience.

I"m really scratching my head as to why SugarSync was working but now it's not sending the books to the different programs. I pull up the location in SugarSync on the phone and I can see all the files there, I click on the file I want to transfer and then click on the program I want to send it to. It then takes me back to the listing of the files but, when I check in whichever program I sent the ebook to, it's not there.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Dropbox works well, I've tried "Box" as well but Dropbox is much easier to use. It really works a lot like a computer file folder except it syncs every device the app is installed on. I especially like it on my Android tablet and phone used with Aldiko and Aldiko Sync which uses Dropbox to keep all your devices synced with the same books and at the spot you left off reading.
On my iPod, opening an epub in Dropbox gives me the choice of opening the book in Stanza, megareader, Bluefire or Apabi (I prefer Stanza). Tap your choice and the book gets added to it without any else to do.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's great to know!

I still have my ASUS Transformer and my Droid phone but the phone isn't connected any more since I now have my iPhone 4S.

I found the Transformer to be a bit bulky to read on when in bed. I have the keyboard for it so it was like an Android NetBook and great for typing but.....

Now I have my iPhone and I really do find that I read on my phone more than on any other device just because I carry it with me all the time. I can read while waiting for appointments, standing in line, ... basically anytime I can just pull it out of my pocket or purse. LOL

I hope that DropBox continues to load the ebooks into the reader programs as easily as it just did when I tried it. Sugar Sync did the first time I tried it but, when I tried it again today, it didn't work and I have no idea why.

Stanza was an all time favorite ebook reader and it's super easy to get books from Calibre into Stanza. Unfortunately, it doesn't sort the ebooks in the order I put them into the program and, it moves the book I'm reading to the top of the list, then, when I'm done reading it, I have to go searching for the next book as I read my "To Be Read" list in a specific order. LOL Just a little OCD there.

Of the free ebook readers, Apabi seems to be the only one that actually has the feature to sort in the order installed. The program isn't bad, either.

Soooooo, if anyone else would like to try DropBox, if you use my personal link, we both will get an additional 500 megs of space for free. I sure would appreciate it! http://db.tt/L135c2pO

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Couldn't you use the "groups" menu to do that in Stanza? I have my reading list as a category within the groups and remove the book from it once it's read... You could just put them into the category in the reverse order of what you want to read so that the last one saved is the first one you wanted to read. Or inversely, the last one at the bottom of the listing is the first on you read.
Need to add more books? start a new reading list...you can pick the name and they don't change places.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-23-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
What you are experiencing with Sugarsync is whats always happened for me. Downloads the file, tell it to open in, nothing happens. Box is great for storing huge numbers of books but to get them in there in some kind of logical sequence, folders, whatever isnt so easy. Not in the free version anyway. And thats why I've also gone with Dropbox in the end. I have about 1500 books in there, and of course that means they are also on the computer but thats OK. Dropbox behaves. Everything is easy. And even with that 1500 books, I still have just under 2G spare and I only have 2.75G.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Shykat
Groupie

Cdsja5: I do prefer Stanza for all the different features that it has. I just worry about liking it too much again and then having it not work once iOS6 is released. I used to use Stanza about 5 years ago. After I got my first smart phone that was an Android, I switched to reading on it and used Aldkio. Now I have my very first iPhone and loaded Stanza first thing. Then I read that Amazon had bought Stanza and had basically killed it. I think they were jealous of how popular the program was and bought it to get rid of competition for their Kindle reader. Personally, there is no comparison in the quality and features between the two programs. Stanza won hands down each time.

Now, I'm switching between Apabi, BlueFire and iBooks as I try them all out to see which one I will like best for when Stanza no longer works in the new OS. Apabi actually does have the feature that I really like and that is sort by ADDED DATE. In List view it also has a nice slider bar that shows you how far you are into the book. If the bar is all blue, you have complete the book. BlueFire and iBooks don't have the ability to mark a book as READ or how much you have read like Stanza and Apabi.

Kyteflyer: Yup, I have no idea why SugarSync worked just fine the first time and now it doesn't for the ebooks.

DropBox is super easy and I'll probably stick with the free account as, thankfully, ebooks are nice and small. I would love more of the free space just "in case". Currently, after answering most of the questions they have, I am up to 2.42. I just need some friends to sign up for it now, too, using my personal code so I can get a bit more. HEHE Anyone wanting to give DropBox a try, please use my code and we both will get an additional 500 megs of free space: http://db.tt/L135c2pO

I did read about another cloud service that sounded great as they have unlimited storage but they are expensive at $19.95USD/month after the 14 day free trial.

I'm glad to hear that dropbox behaves! When I travel, I usually am where there is wifi to use for the data transfer so it should be easy to get more books onto the phone when I need it.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
You can actually get 5g free at dropbox. They have a new camera upload feature. If you use it to upload pics or vids for every 500mb I think you get that much more storage until you hit 5gigs. Check this thread.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
What you are experiencing with Sugarsync is whats always happened for me. Downloads the file, tell it to open in, nothing happens. Box is great for storing huge numbers of books but to get them in there in some kind of logical sequence, folders, whatever isnt so easy. Not in the free version anyway. And thats why I've also gone with Dropbox in the end. I have about 1500 books in there, and of course that means they are also on the computer but thats OK. Dropbox behaves. Everything is easy. And even with that 1500 books, I still have just under 2G spare and I only have 2.75G.
The desktop clients have 'Selective Sync' settings if you don't want to have everything on your computer.

O'Reilly is rolling out a 'push to Dropbox' feature so you can push a button to copy your library to Dropbox (with selected formats). Magic.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Shykat
Groupie

O'Reilly? Rolling out a push to Dropbox?

I'm confused... I just move my books into the Dropbox folder and they appear on the phone and the notebook as well as the desktop.

Who's O'Reilly and what is the difference with Push and just doing it the way we currently do?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

O'Reilly is a book source. I imagine they will have a"button" or some other way to send the book directly to Dropbox.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
You can actually get 5g free at dropbox. They have a new camera upload feature. If you use it to upload pics or vids for every 500mb I think you get that much more storage until you hit 5gigs. Check this thread.
Will the storage increase be permanent?
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
Will the storage increase be permanent?
Yes. Once I have received the increase, I have even deleted some of the files and it didn't affect my capacity.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Yes. Once I have received the increase, I have even deleted some of the files and it didn't affect my capacity.

Carol
OH! Thats good. I thought you only got it if you used it for photographs and I didnt want to do that. Might try again.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I only have 2.2G free so far, but I did that by other methods. I will try that method and see if it will work for me. Thanks!
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
You can actually get much much more than that.

I'm up to 21GB for free, and I haven't even gotten the extra 5GB image upload yet.

Just refer people, do the annual Dropbox Quest to get another 1GB and do the Get Started steps. You could also join Dropbox on Twitter and Facebook to get more free space, but I think they've removed that, since Dropbox.com/free is not available anymore.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote