Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #736
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
My Aura One is Model #N709.

I think Model #N514 is for the Kindle Aura HD, which is no longer offered. The Aura HD comes with a 6" screen verses the 7.8" screen on the Aura One. Also, the new Aura One is at least $100 (or more) more expensive than a used Kindle Aura HD.
Nope on 2 counts: N514 would be the KOBO Aura (rather than the KINDLE Aura ) not the Kobo Aura HD. The Aura HD was the "limited edition" 6.8" predecessor to the H2O. You're maybe thinking of the Aura Glo HD (which is also not what this one is). The N514 is often called the "original" Aura or Aura 6". Having said that, there is now the Aura 2nd Edition which is also a 6" Aura. It does get rather confusing. Check out the Mobileread Kobo Wiki for all the variants (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo)

As to the differences, the screen size obviously is the big one. The Aura One is 7.8" vs the 6" Aura. Resolution is higher on the KA1. Many found the screen on the Aura 6" had a weird pattern on the screen from the light guides. Honestly, it overall wasn't seen as an improvement from the previous version other than (for those who wanted it) having a capacitive rather than IR screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #737
Kudla
Kudla began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Aura
Question Difference between Aura Edition I and Aura Edition II

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Nope on 2 counts: N514 would be the KOBO Aura (rather than the KINDLE Aura ) not the Kobo Aura HD. The Aura HD was the "limited edition" 6.8" predecessor to the H2O. You're maybe thinking of the Aura Glo HD (which is also not what this one is). The N514 is often called the "original" Aura or Aura 6". Having said that, there is now the Aura 2nd Edition which is also a 6" Aura.
You got that right!

All I want to know is the difference between Aura First Edition(N514) and Aura Second Edition. Both are 6" screens.

Are there any huge improvements?
Kudla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #738
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudla View Post
You got that right!

All I want to know is the difference between Aura First Edition(N514) and Aura Second Edition. Both are 6" screens.

It probably comes out nearly a wash. The 2nd Edition (technically it's actually called the Aura Edition 2) has a newer Carta eink screen which should be a bit whiter vs the Pearl eink screen on the original. The 2nd Ed. has no microSD card slot if that matters to you. The original had capacitive touch vs (IIRC) the 2nd Ed. has IR touch. Can't really speak to the screen or much else about the 2nd Ed. since there are so few reports of people who have purchased it.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #739
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
You got that right!

I haven't handled the 2nd edition. But I did have the original Aura and I loved it. It was my favorite (until I dropped it and broke the screen). The size and the flush screen were awesome. I replaced it with a Kindle Voyage, which has a sharper screen (and a flush screen), but I still miss that Aura. I wish they would make a better one, I feel they took a step back with that Aura 2nd edition.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #740
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
What would be the model# for the new Aura?

I just bought, what seems to be the old version of Aura on ebay. The model# is N514.

What is the difference between the old and new Aura?
The Aura page on the MR wiki lists the differences between the original Aura and the Aura Edition 2.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #741
Kudla

Thumbs up

Quote:
The original had capacitive touch vs (IIRC) the 2nd Ed. has IR touch.
This was a deal breaker, if there was one! Why go back to infrared from capcitative? It beats me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I wish they would make a better one, I feel they took a step back with that Aura 2nd edition.
+1. I could NOT have said it better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The Aura page on the MR wiki lists the differences between the original Aura and the Aura Edition 2.
Thank You!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #742
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't mind a 6.8" screen, the Kobo Aura H2O is very good. The screen is very nice and the light is very even.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #743
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Why go back to infrared from capcitative? It beats me!
Because I much prefer IR vs capacitive ? Me and a lot of capacitve screens just don't get along well. I'd be very happy if I could have gotten my KA1 with IR..
Old 02-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #744
Kudla

Question

Quote:
Because I much prefer IR vs capacitive ? Me and a lot of capacitve screens just don't get along well. I'd be very happy if I could have gotten my KA1 with IR..
Hmmm! That's interesting! What are the advantages of IR over Capacitive screens? From what I know, flush screens are right now, only possible with capacitive screens.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #745
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Hmmm! That's interesting! What are the advantages of IR over Capacitive screens? From what I know, flush screens are right now, only possible with capacitive screens.
Just works better for me (no missed touches etc). You're right that they don't have a flush screen, but I really don't care about that either.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #746
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So, since this thread is titled NEW Kobo Aura Impressions Thread! anyone have any impression of the Kobo Aura Edition 2 given that is the new Aura?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote