Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
New version 1.01:

The Python script now only outputs the information about the file. To see the description just run the script without paramteters.

The AppleScript now does batch operation properly, with an option to save the report.

The authorship notices have been updated to emphasize that this code is under unlicense, and is in the public domain, not copyrighted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I see what you mean. A good point, but I'm not happy about writing non-errors to the error stream, just to prevent them going to stdout.

I think it's probably best to just move the announcement to the Usage section. I'll do that and upload.
I would agree. It is better to have an option that just suppresses output that is not errors. Perhaps a verbose option to get all the progress messages, or if you want verbose by default an -s summary option.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would agree. It is better to have an option that just suppresses output that is not errors. Perhaps a verbose option to get all the progress messages, or if you want verbose by default an -s summary option.

Dale
Feel free to have a go at improving the output yourself. For now it's good enough for my purposes.

If you come up with some nice improvements, post them here and I'll add them back into the first post — if you don't mind them being under unlicense.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Jesse Chisholm
Enthusiast
Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: none
It _looks_ like there is a bug in the drmcheck.py file; at least in the version I downloaded.

In version 1.01, on line 72 it has:
cmpdata += unprocessed

But I think that puts the not yet processed bytes on the wrong end of the buffer. Shouldn't that read:
cmpdata = unprocessed + cmpdata

The worst effect I can see is failing to recognize the location of the encrypyedKey. And that would only happen if the cmpdata were larger than _MAX_SIZE which may never happen for an eBooks rights.xml file.

But in case you also use this code in other scripts, it might bite.

-Jesse Chisholm
Jesse Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
grass
grass began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks, neat script.
grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Hmm... this could probably do with updating to also recognise KF8 files in various configurations. No time now though.

(KF8 wil be incorrectly identified as MObi).
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #22
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank for your stuff, good job. A curiosity, an Amazon book reports "Mobipocket ebook, HUFF/CDIC compression encrypted with current encrytion method"... What does "current method" mean? Ciao
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfiore View Post
Thank for your stuff, good job. A curiosity, an Amazon book reports "Mobipocket ebook, HUFF/CDIC compression encrypted with current encrytion method"... What does "current method" mean? Ciao
Umm.. exactly what it says

Some early Mobipocket books used a slightly different method. All current Mobipocket and Kindle ebooks (except Topaz) use the same encryption method, it's just the way that the encryption key is generated that changes.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #24
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I realize this is a reply to a 3-year old post, but I had no luck with the app.

Running OS X Mavericks on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, which has Python already installed on it.

On attempting to open the unzipped app file I got the following message:
"DRM Check 1.0.1app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the trash.

I also have a Windows 7 machine I tried both files on but as I'm less than a rank novice at programming language I got discouraged when running the DRM check py a command window both opened and disappeared, and quickly, which was why I figured I'd try it out on my Mac.

Have also tried numerous web searches for a way or ways to detect or check for DRM in epubs/ebooks with zilch results. There are boo coo hits on the *removal* of it (DRM) but that's not what I'm looking for (that's what Apprentice Alf is for, right?).

Sorry to be a pest oh Ghost Mouse, but have you any other suggestions for how best to check/detect for DRM in pubs?
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well.... On windows best bet is to just open a command prompt where you will see a plain looking prompt; in my case
Code:
c:\users\peter
Now, unless you have a copy of Python installed, you can use the built in calibre python environment.
Code:
calibre-debug drmcheck.py followed_by_name_of_epub_file_to_check
as an example
Code:
calibre-debug d:\Downloads\drmcheck.py "Documents\My Digital Editions\$20_Per_Gallon.epub"
ePub ebook,  Adobe Digital Editions encryption.
(the path before the drmcheck.py is the location on my PC of the script)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunnylinguist View Post
I realize this is a reply to a 3-year old post, but I had no luck with the app.

Running OS X Mavericks on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, which has Python already installed on it.

On attempting to open the unzipped app file I got the following message:
"DRM Check 1.0.1app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the trash.

I also have a Windows 7 machine I tried both files on but as I'm less than a rank novice at programming language I got discouraged when running the DRM check py a command window both opened and disappeared, and quickly, which was why I figured I'd try it out on my Mac.

Have also tried numerous web searches for a way or ways to detect or check for DRM in epubs/ebooks with zilch results. There are boo coo hits on the *removal* of it (DRM) but that's not what I'm looking for (that's what Apprentice Alf is for, right?).

Sorry to be a pest oh Ghost Mouse, but have you any other suggestions for how best to check/detect for DRM in pubs?
Find AppleScript Editor on your machine (somewhere in Applications). Use that to open the DRM Check 1.0.1.app application, and then re-save as an AppleScript application. You might need to then open both apps up (Show package contents from the contextual menu) and copy across the python scripts.

Good luck!