Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #226
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
And... we are in business!

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us
[root@kindle us]# /mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3
2012/10/07 00:08:35.9713 ERROR Error opening file /mnt/us/hackedupreader/crlog.ini for reading
2012/10/07 00:08:35.9769 WARN Started logging. Level=INFO
49 fonts loaded.
Created image depth=8 bpp=8 stride=760
Created screen 758 x 1024, depth = 8
_read_int_file(/sys/devices/platform/fsl-usb2-udc/charging): No such file or directory
On Kindle: "No Document. Welcome to Coolreader! Please select file to open." Pressing left upper corner brings up the menu. Closing the menu kills the app.

Do I need to check anything else?

Thanks guys! You rock!
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #227
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Good practice.
There will probably be a lot of this over the next few weeks as authors "port" their things to the Kpw.
Maybe by the time of the Kpw's "second coming" next month, a lot of the work will be done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #228
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Good practice.
There will probably be a lot of this over the next few weeks as authors "port" their things to the Kpw.
Maybe by the time of the Kpw's "second coming" next month, a lot of the work will be done.
I guess so. Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #229
ecksor
Enthusiast

Just a couple of screenshots as a proof of evidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_07T01_45_13+0000.png
Views:	666
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	93566   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_07T01_45_47+0000.png
Views:	653
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	93567  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #230
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksor View Post
I guess so. Thanks for all your help!
Thanks for testing!

I just uploaded a new package with the new KindleTool (the old packages have been done with yinfalu's original program) and now the update package should be recognized by the Kindle Paperwhite.

https://github.com/bhaak/HackedUpReader/downloads

The charging state should also be correct now or at least fall back to "non-charging" without crashing.

Kindle Touch users don't have a reason to use 0.3.1.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #231
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

BTW, we just crossed the line of 40000 views for this thread.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #232
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Your "HackedUpReaderExtension for Kindle Touch" readme has the instructions the wrong way round bhaak.

Quote:
mkdir /mnt/us/extension/hackedupreader/
cp hackedupreader/config.xml /mnt/us/extension/hackedupreader/
mntroot ro
cp hackedupreader/HackedUpReaderExtension.jar /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/
mntroot rw
I think you mean rw then ro.

HTH.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #233
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I think you mean rw then ro.
You are right. Thanks, fixed.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #234
FrigoCoder
FrigoCoder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FrigoCoder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FrigoCoder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Touch
Installed 0.3.0 and managed to transfer my settings including .css styles, font and font settings with only a few overwrites and edits.

Works as a charm, now the books are properly ordered. Great job!
FrigoCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #235
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I notice page refreshing is not smooth like vanilla reader, it only refresh 0.5 sec after turning page. Can you do anything about it, make it refresh and turn page at the same time? Thanks
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #236
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilogis View Post
I notice page refreshing is not smooth like vanilla reader, it only refresh 0.5 sec after turning page. Can you do anything about it, make it refresh and turn page at the same time? Thanks
Unfortunately no. The best you can currently do is set the page refreshing to not do the page refresh every page.

The problem is that we don't know how to call the screen refresh from within a native application (if I'm not mistaken we also don't know how to do it from within a Java Kindlet).

So, as a workaround, HUR calls an external command that will trigger the screen refresh. But it needs to do this with a certain delay. Otherwise you see the next page being shown then it will briefly show the previous page, do the black/white switch and then show again the next page (even though the call to the external command is after the screen has been drawn). Strange behavior.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #237
soulafein
Enthusiast
soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi!
I have a problem. I've installed HackeupReadear on my KT. It worked perfect, but I tried to change font to Kindle System/Symbol (?) and now my screen on every ebook is blank/empty - only restart helps. There is no chance to change anything because menu isn't showing up !
Any suggestions ?
soulafein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #238
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulafein View Post
Hi!
I have a problem. I've installed HackeupReadear on my KT. It worked perfect, but I tried to change font to Kindle System/Symbol (?) and now my screen on every ebook is blank/empty - only restart helps. There is no chance to change anything because menu isn't showing up !
Any suggestions ?
This seems to be a problem if you have the amazon-supplied freetype library installed and not this version of the freetype library.

The program consumes 100% CPU and seems to looping somewhere during startup. That's why you can't get to the menu.

If you delete or edit the file .settings/cr3.ini in the hackedupreader directory, it should start up again without a problem.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #239
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@bhaak

i've done more tests and i think i've figured out how to read Chinese text in the Reader.

txt - the text has to be encoded in UTF8 and "Preformatted text" has to be set to Off.

epub - thanks for your hint, Chinese text will display without problems when "Document embedded styles" is set to off. Unfortunately, the formatting of the page is not perfect - punctuation marks which shouldn't appear in the 1st column such as , . ? ) etc will appear there. but i suppose nothing can be done to fix this problem.

mobi - no problem except the punctuation marks issue mentioned above.

but i've problem reading a particular mobi book, the error message is "Error reading PDB format, can't open document". i've enclosed the book here, could you please see if you know what's wrong with the book. i can read the book in Kindle.

thanks for your great help.
Quite an old post, yiming. I've tried several Gui Launcher applications and they works pretty well. I chose HackedUpReader to read my Chinese epub books in the hope of avoiding to install duokan, but it seems that's quite impossible. It has such a bad Chinese font rendering for txt and epub though I did try my best to adjust those configurations. I am using bhaak's 1.3.2 version, and I failed to find there is a "Document embedded styles" option. And there is also a library.so something. Does it give any help? I am feeling very appreciated for your help last time about how to install Chinese fonts in simple way, now my kindle reads Chinese very neatly. Could you please give me any direction this time? Thanks.

Last edited by johnleo; 11-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #240
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
Quite an old post, yiming. I've tried several Gui Launcher applications and they works pretty well. I chose HackedUpReader to read my Chinese epub books in the hope of avoiding to install duokan, but it seems that's quite impossible. It has such a bad Chinese font rendering for txt and epub though I did try my best to adjust those configurations. I am using bhaak's 1.3.2 version, and I failed to find there is a "Document embedded styles" option. And there is also a library.so something. Does it give any help? I am feeling very appreciated for your help last time about how to install Chinese fonts in simple way, now my kindle reads Chinese very neatly. Could you please give me any direction this time? Thanks.
i'm using bhaak's Hacked Up Reader version 0.2.1, and varnie's HackedUpReader Launcher. i didn't install the freetype library.

i find the font rendering satisfactory, here's a screen capture, the font used is xHei:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-11-20T16_39_56-0055.gif
Views:	746
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	96540

as i've mentioned, the only thing i'm not happy with is the punctuation marks appearing at the first column.

btw, let me correct what i've said in that last posting. for text file, you need not set "Preformatted text" to Off. and for epub, you don't have to set "Document embedded styles" to off. it seems that the most important setting is "Fallback font face". as long as you set it to a Chinese font, you should have no problem reading epub, text or mobi books.

Lately, however, i've problem changing the "Fallback font face". i'm stuck at page 2 of the selection and can't go to page 1 to select other fonts. whenever i tried to go to page 1, the programme will close. not sure if it's because of incompatible issue with other apps i've installed.

Last edited by yiming; 11-20-2012 at 08:36 PM.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, launcher add-ons