Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Early technical info on the Kindle

The Kindle shows up by name in my Mobipocket Desktop. (I don't know which version it is; it's at least 6 months old.) It shows up both as a reading device (with a PID) and as two drives (SD card and internal memory). I bought a DRMed PRC from Fictionwise. The Kindle recognized the file, and refused to read it. I tried with PRC and AZW suffix. Neither worked.

The Baen PRC work with and without being renamed to AZW.

The nonDRM PRC I have from Fictionwise also worked with the exception of the table of contents. I think this is because of how they generated the file.

My DOC came through just fine with pictures.

P.S. By the way, I claim first post on the Kindle!

I have not downloaded anything directly. I can't get a good signal.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Nate - Since the Kindle shows a PID in your Mobipocket Deskop, have you tried to register it with Fictionwise and see if you load the Fictionwise DRMed .PRC onto the Kindle?

If you're busy I can wait until I get mine tomorrow.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Nate - Since the Kindle shows a PID in your Mobipocket Deskop, have you tried to register it with Fictionwise and see if you load the Fictionwise DRMed .PRC onto the Kindle?
Exactly what I was wondering. Looking forward to hear what you guys learn.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post

If you're busy I can wait until I get mine tomorrow.
I guess it wasn't clear from my post that both the PIDs were registered. When I tried to open the ebook, the Kindle refused to read it because it wasn't from the Kindle Store.

I have downloaded stuff on the Kindle. The problem I had before was that I had not initialized the device. You do this by opening the menu, going to the "Settings" menu, and look at the information there. (That's all I did.)

The Washington Post was not worth buying. It was not the complete paper. No ads, but it lacked about half the content and there were no comics. That last one is the killer.

P.S. I forgot to mention before that I can see a folder marked "System" on the Kindle. I am going to go poke at it for a while and will be back in a second.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Amazon is really mean.
Well, at least there is a chance, that either we can buy content from amazon in mobipocket format some time, and that the kindle can read other mobipcket retailer files aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

We need a mobile version of the forum.

This is another first. I am posting this from the kindle. The keyboard is not the greatest but it works for me.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is another first. I am posting this from the kindle. The keyboard is not the greatest but it works for me.

You can browse the web on it? Did it give you data rate costs?

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
You can browse the web on it? Did it give you data rate costs?

-d
Currently it is free. At some point that will change and internet access will be one of the things purchased in the Kindle store.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Great job on the first tests of a Kindle, Nate! Let's see some karma for this guy!

Good news about the non-DRMed Mobipocket USB'd to the Kindle and also the DOC conversion with images. You might try uploading an HTML with images, too. And more than one person on the forum has mentioned that it could be done with a PDF although I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the manual or on Amazon's site. But you might try and let us know the result.

Too bad about the Washington Post. That would have been really neat to wake up and see the digital equivalent of the paper version every morning.

Hope you're having fun.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I guess it wasn't clear from my post that both the PIDs were registered. When I tried to open the ebook, the Kindle refused to read it because it wasn't from the Kindle Store.
It probably checks the vendor ID in the mobipocket file. If that is true they can be converted...
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Does the Kindle acts like a UMS device ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Does the Kindle acts like a UMS device ?
If UMS = USB Mass Storage, then yes.