Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Xwang
Connoisseur
Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How to tag books as "to be read" "reading" "read"

Hi,
I would like to tag my books so that to recognize the ones I've already read ("read"), the ones I'm currently reading ("reading") and the next one I'm going to read ("to be read"). Then of course there will be the vast majority of books in my library which will not be in non of those categories.
How I can do that?
Xwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
You answered your own question when you said "tag". Just add a tag to each book using Edit Metadata. And use the same process to change the tag when the book's status has changed.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Xwang
Connoisseur
Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are right.
I was wondering if something already integrated was already present.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You could use a custom column "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values". Add the values "Reading, Read, To be read". The empty value is always there.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
Xwang
Connoisseur

I'll try
Advert
Old 03-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #6
Xwang
Connoisseur

Moreover is there already tag available so that to save last read page of books?
Old 03-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I created an extra "Status" column, #status, with tags including "Extra," "Wait," "<device name>," "Read," "Abandoned," "Cut," etc. I also created virtual libraries for each device listing books to export, based on #status=<device name> and not to export, based on NOT #status=<device name>.

The main advantage of a status column is that I can check it much more easily than... maybe somewhere in the main jumble of tags... and I can spot books without any at a glance.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I use a boolean (yes/no) #read column, and the Reading List plugin to manage a series-like column.

Also I use a few extra columns (#lastread, #percentread, and a composite #currentlyreading) to display various column icons:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-23 17_48_20-calibre — __ My Books __ Fanfiction __.png
Views:	215
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	186136

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-23-2021 at 06:05 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
I make my own set of tags such as "ondevice", "senttodevice", "sendnext" and use Virtual Libraries to show books in their various states
.e.g. "Never Sent", "Send Next" , "On reader now", "Finished" using just the 3 tags to show that status of any book.
Each to their own as Calibre is very flexible.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #10
Xwang
Connoisseur

Is it possible to hide all the books that do not match a search criteria?
Old 03-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwang View Post
Calibre has 2 ways of showing search results:
1)Highlight
2)Just the results

Preferences: Searching is where you set that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:00 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwang View Post
Use a virtual library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #13
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Clara
I have a TBR and a Read column, but I have the Read set as date so I can keep up with when I read it.
Then I made virtual libraries, one for all books, one for unread and one for read.
Also, I have a virtual library for audiobooks and a column with a checkmark.
criscros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #14
KangaBear
KangaBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You could use a custom column "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values". Add the values "Reading, Read, To be read". The empty value is always there.
Nice, Thank you. I am trying to clean up my database and this should do the trick. I use kindle as a reader and I can create a folder "Read" but when I open the library in Kindle all the data in created folders are visible so its useless as a database. I only upload a series "to be read " into Kindle however I still have to rename them Book 1. 2 Etc in Calibre before transferring Hahaha.
KangaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #15
BlakeThorburn
BlakeThorburn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I use a boolean (yes/no) #read column, and the Reading List plugin to manage a series-like column.

Also I use a few extra columns (#lastread, #percentread, and a composite #currentlyreading) to display various column icons:

Attachment 186136
@ownedbycats how did you do a percentread column? Is it automatically calculated?
BlakeThorburn is offline   Reply With Quote