Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Fixed (beta) libraries for iOS 8 + Windows + Marvin

I am pleased to announce that after many hours slaving over a hot keyboard I now have working libraries for Calibre running on Windows and talking to iOS 8 devices (IPads, IPhones etc), as used by the iOS reader applications plugin (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241143) and the Marvin XD plugin (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241145).

These dlls have been successfully tested with: Calibre 32 bit 2.8, Calibre 64 bit 2.7 and 2.8, iOS 8.1 and iOS 7.1.2, and Marvin 2.8.

These libraries are still beta, and not (yet) part of the official Calibre release, so please follow these instructions to manually install them:
  1. I recommend you take a backup copy of the Calibre dlls libimobiledevice.dll, libplist.dll and libusbmuxd.dll in the C:\Program Files\Calibre\DLLs (or C:\Program Files\Calibre2\DLLs) directory.
  2. Make sure Calibre is not running.
  3. Download either the attached libimobiledevice-Win32.zip (32 bit Windows or 64 bit Windows with 32 bit Calibre) or libimobiledevice-x64.zip (64 bit Windows with 64 bit Calibre).
  4. Unzip the file, and copy the three dlls to the Calibre DLLs directory.
  5. You are good to go!

Everytime you upgrade Calibre (or re-install it), you will need to follow the above instructions again.

I have now uploaded all the source code to GitHub. Please see the imobiledevice.txt at https://github.com/Polyfun/libimobiledevice-windows for instructions on how to build the port. There are four repositories in all, three of which are forked from the Linux repositories; I have requested that my changes are pulled back into the Linux master, but I have no idea if this will happen. Anyway, it should be easier to maintain the Windows port in sync with the Linux version in future.

Change log:

2014/11/03 18:18 UTC
Fixed missing entry point in Win32 build.
2014/11/02 09:00 UTC
Small fix: do not ignore an idevice with product_id == 0 if it is the only idevice detected.
2014/11/02 08:20 UTC
Fixed a bug from the Linux code where multiple idevices are detected when only one is connected. Ignore any idevice with a product_id == 0.
Attached Files
File Type: zip libimobiledevice-Win32.zip (77.5 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: zip libimobiledevice-x64.zip (92.9 KB, 1347 views)

Last edited by ShellShock; 11-03-2014 at 01:19 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
dgparryuk
Enthusiast
dgparryuk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Works for me on IOS8.1 on a iphone5s
thats the 64 bit version
dgparryuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Geosprouter
Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ipad Air 2
You are amazing.... Thank you so much.
Geosprouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Just what I wanted for Christmas! Seriously! : )

Thanks!
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada
Dchiplin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma & Aura One & iPad Mini Retina
I am not sure if I have multiple issues but when I update the dll files, the iOS Reader Applications plug-in deinstalls and won't reinstall.

When I go back to the original dlls, the plug-in stays installed but I get the "can't connect to device" cascading error message (the original issue).

iPad Mini still on iOS8.0/Windows Vista 64bit

Would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions.
Dchiplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Klippy
Enthusiast
Klippy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Can I ask a question and hopefully not get laughed at. I always think I know so much about computers and the such to be shut down by the brilliance I read you all post on here. What I have been doing for years is clicking on the connect/share on Calibre to connect to Itunes. Then I just hit the upload to device, the book goes to Itunes and then when I sync my Ipad or Iphone it syncs from Itunes. Will what is posted above with the plugins make this happen again or not? I feel like an idiot having to ask this questions.
Klippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
comox
Enthusiast
comox began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am seeing exactly the same thing as Dchiplin.

Windows 8.1
Calibre 2.8
comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Geosprouter
Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ipad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiplin View Post
I am not sure if I have multiple issues but when I update the dll files, the iOS Reader Applications plug-in deinstalls and won't reinstall.

When I go back to the original dlls, the plug-in stays installed but I get the "can't connect to device" cascading error message (the original issue).

iPad Mini still on iOS8.0/Windows Vista 64bit

Would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions.
I had both a 32 and 64 bit installed on my PC - I removed the 32 bit and everything worked perfectly.
Geosprouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
AndrewG
Enthusiast
AndrewG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad using Marvin
I have Win 7 Ult 64bit, Calibre 2.8 and the same issue as Dchiplin. When I change the dlls and then start Calibre, IOS Reader Applications is advised as missing. If I try to connect my iPhone 4s at this point nothing happens, if I try instead to install IOS RA this does not work.

I appreciate all the work that is going into fixing this problem - hopefully we are nearly there now!
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
stanhere
stanhere began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Retina 4th gen + Marvin v2.8 & Calibre v2.9 on W7 64
Still in the soup!!!! Now stirring for the first time with newly arising "Malformed ..disk image" issue AFTER having updated Calibre 64 to v2.8 AND installing ShellShock's reworked 11/1/2014 DLL's.

1st ......MANY Thanks to ShellShock's generous work!!!! {Calibre no longer 'spits-back' the iOS reader plugin!

2nd .... Now that I can "link-up" W7 64 + Calibre v2.8 + iOS Reader v1.44 & Marvin XD v1.24 PlugIns with my iPad 4th gen retina with iOS 8.x, I am now receiving a brand new "malformed ....." exception from calibre:

"QUOTE:
calibre, version 2.8.0 [AND also v2.7]
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device
database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 502, in _books
File "D:\^_TEMP~1\calibre_wpwapq\5phab4_ios_local_db\Ma rvin_overlays.py", line 407, in books
File "D:\^_TEMP~1\calibre_wpwapq\5phab4_ios_local_db\Ma rvin_overlays.py", line 2610, in _snapshot_booklist
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed CLOSE QUOTE"

This new [to me] "Malformed disk image" exception remains persistent despite my having tried past forum suggestions like deleting Calibre\Windows "booklist.db" file, uninstalling the Marvin & iOS PlugIns, deleting all PlugIn residuals in Windows/Calibre and then ReInstalling latest Marvin & iOS plugIns AND re-customizing each. ALL in Vain .....twice!

Can anyone point me to one or more OTHER corrective steps, beyond what I've already done as cited above, in order to resume a happy co-existence with my iPad, Calibre & Windows?

Thanks

Last edited by stanhere; 11-02-2014 at 02:59 AM.
stanhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
stanhere
stanhere began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Retina 4th gen + Marvin v2.8 & Calibre v2.9 on W7 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I have Win 7 Ult 64bit, Calibre 2.8 and the same issue as Dchiplin. When I change the dlls and then start Calibre, IOS Reader Applications is advised as missing. If I try to connect my iPhone 4s at this point nothing happens, if I try instead to install IOS RA this does not work.

I appreciate all the work that is going into fixing this problem - hopefully we are nearly there now!
Andrew .... Did you verify that your Calibre iOS reader v1.24 plugin is properly customized to Marvin? Also, double check that your Marvin XD
plugin settings are as your wish.
stanhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two things:

The following bit put into spoiler tags because it was plain wrong.

Spoiler:
These dlls have only been successfully tested with Calibre 2.7, and they definitely do not work with 2.8. So install Calibre 2.7 first (from http://download.calibre-ebook.com/2.7.0/). I assume the problem is because we are patching Calibre, and there is a version specific, binary dependency between Calibre and the dlls. This should be sorted once the dlls are part of the official Calibre build and install. For now, I can only support Calibre 2.7. You are welcome to try it with earlier versions to see if they work, and report back here. I have tested already with Calibre 2.8, and it definitely does NOT work.

There seems to a be a bug in the Linux code whereby two idevices are detected when only one is connected. I have just posted a new set of dlls with a fix to ignore idevices without a valid product_id. This bug caught me out today - the code was connecting fine yesterday to my IPad, but not today, yet NOTHING had changed. Sigh. The joys of programming.

Last edited by ShellShock; 11-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #13
Ruffy
Ruffy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I have Win7 64Bit, iPad 3 running iOS8.1 and now Calibre 2.8 64bit. The new dll's worked a treat. The only issue I had (from not reading fully) was I started out to day on Calibre 2.7. I downloaded the new DLL's, followed the instructions - all was well in the garden. Later today I upgraded to Calibre 2.8 and woe was me. I recopied the new DLL's over and I am a happy little camper again.

Thankyou for your hard work.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard

@Ruffy, well I am surprised the dlls are working with Calibre 2.8 64 bit, because they did not for me. Puzzling...
Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@ShellShock: There is nothing different between calibre 2.7 and 2.8 as far as DLLs are concerned. The only changes are all to .py files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote