Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2022, 01:44 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Are Kobos bubbleproof?

Or epsom salt-proof?

I sometimes bring my Libra H2O into the bath with me. But I don't do this when I'm using either epsom salts or bubble bath because I'm not sure if 'waterproof' also covers these two cases.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
They are not waterproof. It's a lacquer coating on all the internal parts and only good for any immersion in clean fresh water for a short while at no depth.
Likely be fine if given a prolonged rinse under the tap if you drop it in the bath or sea.
The Aura HD H2O was sort of waterproof if the bezel double sided tape was OK and the door flap was properly closed and not worn.

A really waterproof, in sense of sealed, gadget is possible. Note true waterproof watches have screw on backs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
From the Libra2 specs:

Quote:
IPX8 - up to 60 mins in 2 metres of water
If Libra H2O has a similar rating, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does get soaked with bubbles/salt, I would rinse it in fresh water.*

* from someone who knows nothing about waterproofing.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They are not waterproof. It's a lacquer coating on all the internal parts and only good for any immersion in clean fresh water for a short while at no depth.
Likely be fine if given a prolonged rinse under the tap if you drop it in the bath or sea.
The Aura HD H2O was sort of waterproof if the bezel double sided tape was OK and the door flap was properly closed and not worn.

A really waterproof, in sense of sealed, gadget is possible. Note true waterproof watches have screw on backs.
Kobo did show the H2O submerged in a pool. SO that means chlorine is OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:21 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo did show the H2O submerged in a pool. SO that means chlorine is OK.
Which H2O?
I'd rinse and dry the later models that are only coated. Also not all pools use chlorine (or same amount) and it could attack a charging/data cable plug. Also I'd not trust integrity of coating with age.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_pool_sanitation
Not mentioned on Wikipedia is Ozone based system, which I swam in decades ago. Much more pleasant than chlorine/bromine.

Some residential pools only have filtration.
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 06:35 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
From the Libra2 specs:

IPX8

If Libra H2O has a similar rating, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does get soaked with bubbles/salt, I would rinse it in fresh water.*

* from someone who knows nothing about waterproofing.
X means there is no data available to specify a protection rating with regard to this criterion. In the 1st posistion it means particles. There is no protection on coated models. The original Aura HD H2O was externally sealed, so was protected.
8 in 2nd position means
Quote:
The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7, and other environmental effects may be added, such as temperature cycling before immersion.
Fresh Water, not chemicals or solvents, unless the manufacture details otherwise.
Basically the "waterproof" or proforma coating method is cheap compared to a true waterproof enclosure and dates from before 1940s, though the materials are different. Unlike a waterproof enclosure it doesn't protect connections. Sealing may fail on switches and on PCB at connector. It may have pin-hole defects.
Resistance to various fuels, solvents and chemicals depends on age and the coating, usually a polymer.
Exorbitant marketing claims are made by the makers of the coatings, often using gratuitous use of the word nano.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:36 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on this, I should probably avoid it then. I try to keep it out of the water but there's a good chance I might drop it by mistake.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:39 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Cheap waterproof ziplock type bag. Good also for beach to stop fine sand clogging the connector and button tops.

I sometimes read in the bath. I dropped a paperback in once
Old 11-23-2022, 06:51 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Which H2O?
I'd rinse and dry the later models that are only coated. Also not all pools use chlorine (or same amount) and it could attack a charging/data cable plug. Also I'd not trust integrity of coating with age.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_pool_sanitation
Not mentioned on Wikipedia is Ozone based system, which I swam in decades ago. Much more pleasant than chlorine/bromine.

Some residential pools only have filtration.
I found the commercial.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:20 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, from Amazon:

Quote:
Learn More About Your Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Oasis

We designed the Kindle Oasis (9th Generation and above) and Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation and above) to be waterproof. Your Kindle has been tested to withstand accidental immersion in water under certain conditions. It meets the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Standard 60529 rating of IPX8 (in laboratory, can withstand immersion in up to 2 meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes and 0.25 meters for 3 minutes in seawater). In addition, we’ve tested your Kindle to withstand exposure to water in many popular places to read. However, your Kindle is not intended for underwater use and may experience temporary effects from exposure to water. Do not intentionally immerse your Kindle in water or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water, or other liquids (such as beverages). If your Kindle gets accidentally dropped in a bath tub, hot tub, the pool, splashed by the ocean at the beach, or otherwise exposed to water, quickly retrieve it and follow the care instructions below.
What should I do if my Kindle gets wet?

If your Kindle is splashed with water, wipe it off with a soft cloth and keep on reading. If your Kindle is immersed in water, remove its cover, make sure no cables are plugged into the device, and do not attempt to charge your Kindle until it is completely dry. If your Kindle is immersed in salt water, chlorinated water, soapy water, or liquids other than fresh water, make sure you rinse that liquid out of the device with fresh water such as cold tap water. Then dry your Kindle.
What steps should I take to dry my Kindle?

To dry your Kindle, let the water drain out through the USB port, gently tapping the side of the device as necessary. We recommend you also let your Kindle dry fully in a well-ventilated location, with it standing upright so that any excess water can continue to drain from the USB port. Do not attempt to dry your Kindle with an external heat source, such as a microwave oven or hair dryer. Do not insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or paper towel, into the USB port to dry it.
What can I do to reduce the likelihood of water damage?

We recommend not exposing your Kindle to pressurized water, high velocity water, extremely humid conditions (such as a steam room) or food, oil, lotion, or abrasive substances. If your Kindle is immersed in water, follow the care instructions on this page. For any questions, please contact customer service.

Learn More About Your Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Oasis

We designed the Kindle Oasis (9th Generation and above) and Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation and above) to be waterproof. Your Kindle has been tested to withstand accidental immersion in water under certain conditions. It meets the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Standard 60529 rating of IPX8 (in laboratory, can withstand immersion in up to 2 meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes and 0.25 meters for 3 minutes in seawater). In addition, we’ve tested your Kindle to withstand exposure to water in many popular places to read. However, your Kindle is not intended for underwater use and may experience temporary effects from exposure to water. Do not intentionally immerse your Kindle in water or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water, or other liquids (such as beverages). If your Kindle gets accidentally dropped in a bath tub, hot tub, the pool, splashed by the ocean at the beach, or otherwise exposed to water, quickly retrieve it and follow the care instructions below.
What should I do if my Kindle gets wet?

If your Kindle is splashed with water, wipe it off with a soft cloth and keep on reading. If your Kindle is immersed in water, remove its cover, make sure no cables are plugged into the device, and do not attempt to charge your Kindle until it is completely dry. If your Kindle is immersed in salt water, chlorinated water, soapy water, or liquids other than fresh water, make sure you rinse that liquid out of the device with fresh water such as cold tap water. Then dry your Kindle.
What steps should I take to dry my Kindle?

To dry your Kindle, let the water drain out through the USB port, gently tapping the side of the device as necessary. We recommend you also let your Kindle dry fully in a well-ventilated location, with it standing upright so that any excess water can continue to drain from the USB port. Do not attempt to dry your Kindle with an external heat source, such as a microwave oven or hair dryer. Do not insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or paper towel, into the USB port to dry it.
What can I do to reduce the likelihood of water damage?

We recommend not exposing your Kindle to pressurized water, high velocity water, extremely humid conditions (such as a steam room) or food, oil, lotion, or abrasive substances. If your Kindle is immersed in water, follow the care instructions on this page. For any questions, please contact customer service.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
2 meters fresh water for up to 60 minutes and 0.25 meters for 3 minutes in seawater
Devil is in the detail as I mentioned earlier. That's quite a stunning difference! I'd expect Kobo and Amazon and others using internal coatings use similar or identical products.

Quote:
If your Kindle is immersed in salt water, chlorinated water, soapy water, or liquids other than fresh water, make sure you rinse that liquid out of the device with fresh water such as cold tap water. Then dry your Kindle.
Pretty much what I wrote. Same applies to keyboards, except best to disassemble at once and rinse between membranes (or mechanical switches) at once is IPA or at worst surgical spirit. Sherry, milk or milky hot drinks seem fatal, but water, black tea and black coffee flooded keyboards have been recovered.
With a phone, open and remove battery at once and rinse with IPA and about 1/3rd survival rate from total immersion in water.

But I did design electronics stuff for nearly 30 years.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-23-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Based on this, I should probably avoid it then. I try to keep it out of the water but there's a good chance I might drop it by mistake.
Eh, I'd risk it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Eh, I'd risk it.
+1

I don't recall many posts complaining about the waterproofing failing.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Personally, I prefer a faster shower and then if I wanted to read, I could do so after. It's more sanitary then sitting in dirty water.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I prefer a faster shower and then if I wanted to read, I could do so after. It's more sanitary then sitting in dirty water.
I usually take a quick shower after my baths to rinse off. But showers aren't as good as baths for relieving muscle spasms and the like. (What did you think the epsom salts were for?)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-23-2022 at 07:21 PM.