Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #151
Brain
Enthusiast
Brain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramir View Post
Each file in this directory correspond to an entry in NickelMenu except kfmon and doc (wich holds the documentation duh )
Therefore if you don't create a UMR file in this folder there won't be a UMR entry in nickel menu. Obviously you can't just create an empty file and call it a day. So you can read the doc file to know what to put in your file. Use the koreader/plato file as a template.

Here's what I put in my UMR file (I've create a umr.png associated to it but NM doesn't need it, it's useful for kfmon thought)
Code:
# Launch Plato via KFMon
# NOTE: .adds/nm/kfmon will generate this automatically
#menu_item : main : Ultimate Manga Reader : umr     : umr.png

# Launch Plato directly via NM
#menu_item : main : Ultimate Manga Reader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh
You might also want to add an entry for kfmon then.
In .adds/kfmon/configs/**** like stated previously use the already existing entries as a template.

My UltimateMangaReader.ini is
Code:
[watch]
; Those next two keys are MANDATORY
filename = /mnt/onboard/umr.png			; Absolute path of the icon to watch for
action = /mnt/onboard/.adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh	; Absolute path of the command to launch when the icon is opened
; The following keys are NOT mandatory
label = UltimateMangaReader					; Label available for use by a GUI frontend
hidden = 0						; Whether to hide this entry from a GUI frontend
block_spawns = 1					; Prevents *any* script from being launched via KFMon while the command launched by this watch is still running.
							; This is useful for document readers, because they could otherwise trigger unwanted
							; behavior through their file manager, metadata reader, or thumbnailer.
do_db_update = 0					; Do we want to update Nickel's DB for this icon? (Potentially unsafe, disabled by default)
; If you enabled do_db_update, the next three keys NEED to be set
db_title = UltimateMangaReader					; Title to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
db_author = UltimateMangaReader Devs				; Author to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
db_comment = Streaming Manga Reader application		; Comment to use for the icon's Library entry if do_db_update = 1
Thank you very much! I'm sorry for a delayed response, please don't think you generously donating your time to write this went unnoticed and unappreciated

I've created a UltimateMangaReader.ini file, following your instructions and manga reader now appears in nickelmenu. I've did a quick test with 2 websites and one of them gave "Couldn't parse mangainfos", which is a bit sad, because that website had one punch man :/ However I gave another site a go and it loaded perfectly. I'm amazed at how convenient and accessible it makes this treasure of manga!

I wasn't sure about your first point though. Where exactly do I create it umr.png file? What is kfmon exactly? And how is creating that file useful for kfmon?
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #152
Brain
Enthusiast

OfficerAction this application is crazy. It's honestly inspiring to see such a beautiful project being made for the sake of humanity. Thank you very very much.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #153
jedineofr
jedineofr began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Clara HD
Question

Hello everyone

I have a KOBO Clara HD.
I installed UltimateMangaReader and created the menu in Nickel menu.

The software launches well but the touchscreen does not work anymore (or is it the application that freezes? )
I have to restart the KOBO.

Did I forget something?

Thankls you for your answer
jedineofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:53 AM   #154
Aramir
Enthusiast
Aramir began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O & Glo & Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
I wasn't sure about your first point though. Where exactly do I create it umr.png file? What is kfmon exactly? And how is creating that file useful for kfmon?
The tldr version of it is : kfmon is what allow you to launch applications by opening "fake books". Therefore kfmon use whatever .png you're pointing to (in the app's "kfmon config file") as a cover for its fake book.

As to where I'm putting my umr.png it's stated there in UltimateMangaReader.ini :
filename = /mnt/onboard/umr.png
/mnt/onboard/ being the root folder mounted when you connect your ereader to your pc.
Aramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:56 AM   #155
Aramir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedineofr View Post
Hello everyone

I have a KOBO Clara HD.

The software launches well but the touchscreen does not work anymore (or is it the application that freezes? )

Did I forget something?

Did you tweak .adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh touchscreen's options as stated in the first post's Known Issues section ?
Old 05-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #156
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Therefore if you don't create a UMR file in this folder there won't be a UMR entry in nickel menu. Obviously you can't just create an empty file and call it a day. So you can read the doc file to know what to put in your file. Use the koreader/plato file as a template.
For crying out loud. That's exactly what I did, but forgot since it was months ago. Thanks for catching that and helping him out.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #157
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anybody else find UMR unstable on their Clara HD? I do really enjoy having a manga aggregator on my Kobo since Apple seems to be pulling the fan favorites from the AppStore. Even today MangaDex's Twitter account was terminated, along with some other scanlation groups. It seems that Big Manga is making a push behind the scenes again, which is why I'm coming to rely on this buggy li'l app for my manga needs.

I've encountered all the bugs I've read reported in this forum like booting without a backlight or not being able to find the WiFi, but the problem I run into the most is intermittent freezing. The app simply stops responding and hangs. I have to hold down the power button to force quit, then reboot after that. Sometimes UMR will go for days without a hitch, then like today, I had to reboot five times before it allowed me to read without issue.

Are there any settings I could have missed somewhere along the way? Have any of you run into this level of instability? Did you fix it? If so, how? Please share! Thanks!
Old 05-08-2021, 10:16 PM   #158
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedineofr View Post
Hello everyone

I have a KOBO Clara HD.

Did I forget something?

I have a Clara HD, too, and this app doesn't seem to run smoothly on it. You can check how I fixed a few things a page or two back here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=145. Those are the suggestions I found on this forum that worked for me.

Application freezing is something that I just complained about today. It's a fairly common occurrence, but I don't know if its general with all Kobos or just with the Clara HD. Now that you've voiced your concern, I feel less lonely out here. LOL
Old 05-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #159
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Did you tweak .adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh touchscreen's options as stated in the first post's Known Issues section ?
Is it possible that the video settings shared on this forum, and of which I used (here☞ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=145), are wrong for the Clara HD and causing the freezing issues?

The code in question is:
Code:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=kobo:touchscreen_rotate=90:touchscreen_invert_x=0:touchscreen_invert_y=0:logicaldpitarget=108
What do you think? Is that DPI target value correct? Doesn't the Clara HD have 300 PPI? Some people use dpi and ppi interchangeably, but maybe another value is supposed to go there?
Old 05-09-2021, 04:49 AM   #160
Aramir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
What do you think? Is that DPI target value correct? Doesn't the Clara HD have 300 PPI? Some people use dpi and ppi interchangeably, but maybe another value is supposed to go there?
It's logical dpi, it's used for the layout and size of the UI, it will not change the actual resolution of the display. No need to change it.

Last edited by Aramir; 05-09-2021 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:08 AM   #161
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
It's logical dpi, it's used for the layout and size of the UI, it will not change the actual resolution of the display. No need to change it.

Well, I don’t understand what has happened in the past few days. UMR simply crashes too much. It crashes so hard that it knocks out WiFi on my Kobo upon reboot. It takes me another reboot or to to get the WiFi to connect again (empty icon, no networks listed despite being turned on). That’s a new bug today. I’ve lost track of how often UMR has crashed today, but the deal breaker has been that my favorites list was erased on the last reboot.

If repairing my Kobo account doesn’t fix this WiFi issue (and why would it, since I’m not having an account issue), then a reset is in order. Or I’ll just remove UMR at this time until the dev has time to bug squash again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #162
Brain
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Does anybody else find UMR unstable on their Clara HD? I do really enjoy having a manga aggregator on my Kobo since Apple seems to be pulling the fan favorites from the AppStore. Even today MangaDex's Twitter account was terminated, along with some other scanlation groups. It seems that Big Manga is making a push behind the scenes again, which is why I'm coming to rely on this buggy li'l app for my manga needs.

I've encountered all the bugs I've read reported in this forum like booting without a backlight or not being able to find the WiFi, but the problem I run into the most is intermittent freezing. The app simply stops responding and hangs. I have to hold down the power button to force quit, then reboot after that. Sometimes UMR will go for days without a hitch, then like today, I had to reboot five times before it allowed me to read without issue.

Are there any settings I could have missed somewhere along the way? Have any of you run into this level of instability? Did you fix it? If so, how? Please share! Thanks!
I've had a similar problem, but learned to work around it. Each time you turn on the app, you have to immediately cancel connecting to wifi (except in situations where wifi is available and you do want to connect online). Otherwise it crashes and requires a restart. I have a magnetic cover and unfortunately it I put device to sleep mode, while in UMR, opening it turns it on (even if it's disabled in nickel options). So you need to cancel wifi immediately, in this situation as well. Anyway, experience was frustrating at first, but now, knowing this, I'm able to enjoy my mangas without a hitch.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #163
sb1370
Enthusiast
sb1370 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have a Kobo aura H2O and I started to have this touch issue since 2.4 release and couldn't fix it (tried changing QT_QPA_PLATFORM parameters). Also, nothing unusual is written in the log file.

It seems the issue is more than touch input, because if I first swipe on the manga sources list they move along but I can't do anything else and after that pressing the power button would do nothing.
sb1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #164
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
I've had a similar problem, but learned to work around it. Each time you turn on the app, you have to immediately cancel connecting to wifi (except in situations where wifi is available and you do want to connect online). Otherwise it crashes and requires a restart. I have a magnetic cover and unfortunately it I put device to sleep mode, while in UMR, opening it turns it on (even if it's disabled in nickel options). So you need to cancel wifi immediately, in this situation as well. Anyway, experience was frustrating at first, but now, knowing this, I'm able to enjoy my mangas without a hitch.
Well, I only intermittently experience the WiFi connection issue. It's just all around buggier than a motel bed for me. I've removed it until a more stable version is released. Happy reading!
Old 05-13-2021, 04:11 AM   #165
BaronMoe
BaronMoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
I am confused as hell. I just did a fresh install of plato+koreader+NM using the all in one script. I loaded up the kobo and everything is working fine. Then I copied over the Ultimate Manga Reader, but I cant find the config file in NM.

I looked up the guide but it confused me even more, am I supposed to just create a blank text file and paste the code there? Please guide me.
BaronMoe is offline   Reply With Quote