Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Nobody ever hears the good things...

I'd say a good 70-90% of vocal folks have a problem with a product. Not necessarily conclusive to ebook readers.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I haven't been on this site in quite some time. I use my PRS-505 daily, and absolutely still love it.

I originally sold a Uniden BCT-396T radio scanner to buy the PRS-505 (and some ham radio gear). Got the dark blue one, and haven't looked back.

Recently, I was thinking of selling my 505 to get a Nook (just the WiFi, have zero need for 3G). I even had my 505 listed on Craigslist. So, again I'm finding myself on these forums. After reading quite a bit on the "Nook vs. PRS-505".

Took my ad down, and am quite pleased I made the right decision a couple of years ago on the 505. I saw there is new firmware available (PRS+ and the other one... the name escapes me at the moment). How pleased I am there is still active development on this thing!!

Anyway, I absolutely love my 505! I REALLY love that it can handle most formats I throw at it. I don't use it for pictures, music, games, or anything other than READING!!

My original idea to get a ebook reader a couple of years ago was when I had two experiences. I should note at this point that I visited my local library about 2 to 3 times a week. Anyway, I'm sitting on the couch, reading a book I checked out at the library. I'm really into the story, my surroundings have vanished and I'm entirely engrossed in the book. Following the characters, deep in the plot, waiting to turn the page... what happens next??? Read faster... faster... get to the next page... OH MY GOD A BOOGER!!!

Then, the second experience was reading another book I checked out. I'm sitting on the porcelain throne. I started thinking, "this is where a LOT of people read... in the can... in the 'ol stink lodge..." I started obsessing over it. Really obsessing over the fart-infused paper pages. It got to the point where I just turned in all of my other library books and went on the hunt for an ebook reader. Something that I *KNOW* where its been.

When I mentioned this to my librarian, she showed me her red PRS-505 and said something along the lines of, "yeah... I've had those thoughts as well. Try being the librarian!!"

I picked up a second silver PRS-505 from Target for the ungodly price of $40, and two Sony lightwedge covers for $3 each. Thought about keeping them, but sold the silver PRS-505 and lightwedge for near $200. Not a bad investment. However, I no longer have the spare parts -- if I ever need them.

This is turning out to be a long, rambling post -- but I just wanted to throw in to anybody considering getting a PRS-505 (I have no experience with any other reader) -- you just can't go wrong. I absolutely love mine and it has gone on many trips, and survived many many many page turns. I never have used the memory card slots (except for flashing firmware a year and a half ago). The internal memory is plenty sufficient for holding a good 80+ complete books. Perfect for me.

Well, there you go. Absolutely no problems out of my reader. Ever. (*knocks on wood*)

--Alex

*EDIT* -- I should also note that I have never used the Sony Library software. I've never even seen it (other than screenshots). Calibre is the way to go. Kovid (I believe that's his name) has done a magnificent job and it marries up to the PRS-505 beautifully. It just works. It handles everything I throw at it.

Last edited by xanlexian; 07-01-2010 at 09:13 AM.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
Alex,

I loved my PRS-505, as well. I handed that down to my daughter & bought a Pocketbook 301+; you can see my review in the Pocketbook forum for my thoughts on that (I didn't like it).

So, I bought a PRS-300 & have loved it. I didn't want to take back a gift to my daughter & my wife was loving her 300, so I thought I would try the little one, too.

I need to write a review here, but, I agree with you on the PRS-505: I've traveled to remote villages in the Amazon Jungle to small Arctic Villages in Alaska & Canada, and it has survived and worked flawlessly.

Had I not given it as a gift to my daughter, I'd still be using it.
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There are a lot of people who are very happy with their readers -- I'm one of them. Silver 505, by the way.

But most of the people posting here, like most people who post in tech support forums anywhere, are posting because they have a specific problem they're trying to solve. Their battery won't charge, their collections are borked, their screen has a wicked big line across it ... whatever it is, it's something that needs to be taken care of. So they ask us. That's kind of the point of it. The answers to those questions help other people. I don't think it would be reasonable to discourage them from asking those questions just so that our little pieces of silicon and steel can feel better about themselves, nor to flood them out with paeans of praise that, really, help no one.

Of course the Sony Reader is a great device; everyone in this section owns at least one, and most of us say how much we love them at every opportunity. But saying so isn't the purpose of this forum, and helping people who are having problems is, so naturally you'll see more of the latter.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
Worldwalker,

I'm new to the forum (this is my 12th post), is this a support forum, then, or just for general discussion? If this isn't for general discussion, where can we go for that? I don't want to hijack any threads or forums...
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
xanlexian
Connoisseur

I'm pretty sure this is a "general discussion" forum. The last time I was here, there were a number of sub-forums. Looks like a lot of stuff got consolidated to just this main forum and the dev forum (which I think is a great idea!) I just wanted to give some kudos to the PRS-505 if anybody is searching/researching one.

Before I buy anything, I typically do a search -- especially for the negative aspects. This way I'll know what to possibly expect as well as possibly fix.

Anyway -- just something positive amongst the myriad of issues some folks are having.
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
xanlexian, pay Worldwalker no heed--I really enjoyed your post and couldn't agree more (sliver 505).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Where be this new firmware? I haven't gotten any notices about it when I plug my PRS-505 into the Sony Library ... Must I go to the Sony Store?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
laitsabr
Daily Learner
laitsabr doesn't litterlaitsabr doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, 350, 300, 600(sold), 505(dead), Coby 7024
If I too could find a $40 505, I would suffer little hesitation to claim it
I do like my 600, but the 505 was ahead of its time in form and functionality. It had all I needed in a quality well-designed straight reader with good battery life. Never used the audio functionality, but I have great memories of having gone through a few hundred books on my 505 before its premature demise...
Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce!
laitsabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
Worldwalker,

I'm new to the forum (this is my 12th post), is this a support forum, then, or just for general discussion? If this isn't for general discussion, where can we go for that? I don't want to hijack any threads or forums...
MobileRead is pretty flexible on what goes where. The Sony forum (and other device forums) isn't just for general discussion, or just for support. However, the majority of general discussion isn't very device specific, so it ends up in the General Discussion forum, and the majority of what is device-specific is technical questions, either pre- or post-purchase, which are specific to various reading devices and therefore go in the device forums.

I never suggested that you shouldn't post about how much you like your reader, but xenlexian was being very harsh towards the people who posted about problems with their devices. It seemed to me that he was criticizing them for complaining, and even implying that they're whining, and they should be posting how much they like the device rather than asking how to fix problems.

If they can't ask their questions here in the Sony section without being berated for doing so, what should they do? Try to get somewhere with Sony? (yeah, good luck with that) Just throw their Reader in the trash because there's nobody who can help them fix the problem? Or should there be a certain number of words of praise they're required to include in their post before they ask how to un-brick the thing?

Of course 70-90% of the people posting have questions and need answers. That's the nature of the forum. Of pretty much any forum, in fact, which provides some type of community support. Had I not found a critical bolt, finally, I was going to have to post in a car forum ... something like "Help, I can't get the back seat out!" That doesn't mean I hate my car (I love it) nor that I'm a horrible, negative person who wants everyone else who has a car like mine to be unhappy. I just need to know how to get the back seat out (there's this bolt...).

Let me ask you this: if people only posted how happy they were with their Readers, how helpful would the forum be? What value to you would there be in knowing that other people who have the same device as you do like it? And what would you do, some day, when your Reader wouldn't boot properly, and there was nowhere to ask for help? At least, nowhere you can ask without risking the wrath of xanlexian?

Sayhello, go to the Dev Corner" sub-forum here. What they're talking about is PRS+, user-written enhanced firmware for the 505, which adds many of the features that, in a perfect world, would have been there in the beginning.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 07-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Where be this new firmware? I haven't gotten any notices about it when I plug my PRS-505 into the Sony Library ... Must I go to the Sony Store?

Sayhello
Not official - third party, not supported, may void your waranty if used but IMO excellent.

I use PRS+ currently on 1.3, the other one is PRS customizer, there are stickied threads for both in the Sony dev sub-forum.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
xanlexian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

I never suggested that you shouldn't post about how much you like your reader, but xenlexian was being very harsh towards the people who posted about problems with their devices. It seemed to me that he was criticizing them for complaining, and even implying that they're whining, and they should be posting how much they like the device rather than asking how to fix problems.
I was??? I assure you (and everybody else) there wasn't an iota of ill intent in what I wrote. I was just saying that you hear complaints more than you do compliments. This is very noticeable in practically any industry -- no matter the product or the service. The loudest voices are those with issues as opposed to praise.

Seriously, I meant absolutely no harshness towards any people who post about any problems/issues.

The great minority of those that have zero issues with whatever product/service they've received rarely voice their praise.

I do apologize that you took my message as being harsh to those with questions/issues/problems/what-have-you.

All the best,
--Alex
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
Not official - third party, not supported, may void your waranty if used but IMO excellent.

I use PRS+ currently on 1.3, the other one is PRS customizer, there are stickied threads for both in the Sony dev sub-forum.
Ah, OK. I'll have to check it out. My 505 is almost 3 years old, so I'm pretty sure the warranty is long since expired...

Sayhello
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlexian View Post
I was??? I assure you (and everybody else) there wasn't an iota of ill intent in what I wrote. I was just saying that you hear complaints more than you do compliments. This is very noticeable in practically any industry -- no matter the product or the service. The loudest voices are those with issues as opposed to praise.

Seriously, I meant absolutely no harshness towards any people who post about any problems/issues.

The great minority of those that have zero issues with whatever product/service they've received rarely voice their praise.

I do apologize that you took my message as being harsh to those with questions/issues/problems/what-have-you.

All the best,
--Alex
I certainly didn't take your post as 'berating' or in any other way chastising people who are asking for help about problems; to me it just read as a love letter to the 505. =) And since I love mine too, I liked it.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
sayhello
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I certainly didn't take your post as 'berating' or in any other way chastising people who are asking for help about problems; to me it just read as a love letter to the 505. =) And since I love mine too, I liked it.
I have to agree with this.

Sayhello
Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I still own my 505, allthough I passed it on to my wife. That was when I bought my 600. I do like the 600's capabilities, but the 505's screen is just superior.
I got my 600 now for reading novels and similar stuff only. Although I'm not an an apple fan (my ipod didn't connect to my pc at the time, so I returned it and bought a zune later) I added an ipad to my collection. I wouldn't use it for novels, but it's cool for technical stuff. And hey, it's plain awesome to sit on the balcony writing this post. Wouldn't have done that with my laptop.

I'd say I go with a modifcation of apples app-slogan: There's a device for that, and that...
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote