Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
The Touch isn't really a 'previous' version of Kobo eReader - the Touch and Vox are intended to co-exist. It is simply a choice between more dedicated reader and a more multifunctional device. There are tradeoffs with both. Our eInk readers aren't going anywhere, afaik.
Excellent. I quite agree with that strategy. I have both, and the WiFi as a backup, and plan on keeping all three as they are complementary.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoLover View Post
So am I making a correct statement in saying that lots of people bought the Vox as more of a tablet than ereader? Lots of you are saying that you're still using your respective e-ink ereaders for reading and extended reading. So why purchase the Vox if not for reading purposes? At that point wouldn't it just make sense to purchase a tablet? Or is the cost an issue and this is a cheaper alternative to buying a tablet?
I bought it as a tablet to read PDF files and comics on - two tasks which regular eInk readers are horrible at.

Comics - color or non-color, often don't fit neatly into the regular sizes for eReader screens and need to be resized on the fly, or else on your main computer. Plus, eInk doesn't do color, which can rob anything with a lot of color art of its detail. eInk is horrible when it comes to refreshing and redrawing things, and is arguably better for text than graphics where you need distinct characters versus a range of gradients... especially when you consider the eInk Pearl screens are limited to 16 shades of gray.

PDF files - same issue with resizing as noted above. Because of the slow 'refresh' rate of eInk, scrolling around a zoomed-in PDF (or zooming into one) is an exercise in frustration. The LCD screen here makes that a non-issue.

For regular novels, eInk readers are better for longer reading - they're easier on the eyes, have better battery longevity, and are more geared towards reading regular text due to the combination of screen factors as well as their design being focused on that one activity.

If you want color or PDFs (where resizing is as much of an issue as with a lot of pictures), a tablet is probably the only way to go short of a laptop... and at just under $200, this is a good choice. AND it also reads books.

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-17-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
I feel like such an outcast lol.

I've never liked E-Ink at all. I started reading on the Rocket and then the REB-1100 which had backlit LCD screens and I've never wanted to go back. I read now on my phone using the Kobo app while I wait to decide which ereader/tablet I end up buying.

I don't find any issue with eyestrain and I'm a voracious reader. Probably a minimum of an hour or two a day for the last almost 14 years.

I don't know how people stand the page turn 'flash' on E-Ink, and I know I can't live without being able to read in low light situations. I'd say that probably 70% of the time I'm reading in light levels that would require a supplemental light source if I was using E-Ink.

I like the look of the E-Ink on a page, don't get me wrong. I'd like to see a hybrid system that figures out a way to backlight the E-Ink page or switch from LCD to E-Ink depending on the active app.

The rest of my family seems to go along with my lead as well. My wife, father, mother, and even a few friends have used the REB/EBW units exclusively for probably a decade at least and have never complained about eyestrain. We're all moving towards tablets or Vox type tablet/ereaders now.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do we really need yet another eink vs LCD thread?

To the OP, just search and find the umpteen threads and read them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do we really need yet another eink vs LCD thread?

To the OP, just search and find the umpteen threads and read them.
Really, Jon, it's natural that people considering a Vox might want to talk about this here.

In any case, you have no horse in this race.

Last edited by taming; 11-17-2011 at 11:14 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert