Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Do you leave your Wifi on while it sleeps? Do you use some of the apps like rdio and inq? All of these continue to try to update when you're in sleep mode, especially if Wifi is on. This will drain your battery. I believe there is a way to make sure the Wifi is off while sleeping. Others will be able to tell you exactly how!
You can turn off the wifi by putting your vox into airplane mode, which is one of the options you get when you hold down the power key for a few seconds.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I've been monitoring my "what's been using the battery" and I noticed that the big culprit is the "Kobo eReader idle". It seems that Kobo depletes your battery even in sleep mode and whenever you're doing something else on the Vox. Is there any way to turn this off?
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I've been monitoring my "what's been using the battery" and I noticed that the big culprit is the "Kobo eReader idle". It seems that Kobo depletes your battery even in sleep mode and whenever you're doing something else on the Vox. Is there any way to turn this off?
Actually, that's showing the Kobo Vox's still on - aka, 'idling'. It needs power to keep anything in RAM alive, for example. The only way to stop that is to completely power off the Kobo, which means longer start times and more power used to start up the system (by having the CPU running full-tilt and loading things into RAM) than you'd use keeping RAM alive and having the processor basically doing nothing.

I'd look more into other background processes using the CPU and trying to use the connection. While the previous day had no issues with power usage when idle, I had 70% after forcing a reset, which suggests the Kobo was doing something even while the screen was off. No way for me to figure out what was running after the reset, although I noticed the email app was running post-reset despite my not setting up any accounts for it.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #19
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Actually, I think that when the Vox is in sleep mode, at least with this firmware, quite a few processes are still running. I have been using the "advanced wifi lock" utility set to leave WIFI on while sleeping. I noticed that the Vox receives email while sleeping if the WIFI is on. It is my suspicion that with the current firmware, sleep is mostly about having the display off and not so much about the processor being idle.

Unfortunately, with WIFI on, the battery gets pretty low by the end of the work day so lately, I have been turning WIFI OFF before putting it to sleep. The battery lasts way longer this way.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #20
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
I don't know if it's just me but I don't find the battery lacking at all. It lasts quite awhile before getting low. I've not properly timed it but I use it for so much more than reading. That said I'm quite used to plugging my blackberry in every night so it's nothing new.

Kobo wifi and its other sink bretheren don't use as much power as an LCD screen because it only uses battery power when changing pages. The vox's backlight and background programs make that impossible.

I am at 14 hours awake.. right now. My vox *is* my computer, so I use it a lot. Tuurn screen brightness to auto, and add a wifi control widget to a screen.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
Michael Sherman
Michael Sherman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
There is a Power Control Widget you can add to your home page to switch your Wifi and Sync on/off and adjust your Brightness control. Very handy!
Michael Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote