Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #346
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Booxtors store offers 2 year warranty whereas Afaik buying from amazon means only 1 year free warranty from Oynx.

I'm thinking of getting the Max2 instead. Does it have the same note taking abilities? I'd like to write on epubs.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #347
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I'm thinking of getting the Max2 instead. Does it have the same note taking abilities? I'd like to write on epubs.
Afaik, Max2 and Note have identical software capabilities as of now.

For epubs, the native app (neoreader 2.0) supports the same "sidenotes" feature as pdf documents for handwritten notes. It does not support scribbling directly on pages for epub documents, like it does for pdf.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #348
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
To summarize:

Buying from the e-reader store means the shipping is chaotic and uncertain but the cover is included and the warranty is longer by a year. Buying from Amazon EU means the warranty is shorter and covers are separate purchases, but shipping is straightforward. I assume their return policy is far more permissive too.

Anything I've missed?
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #349
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
Buying from the e-reader store means the shipping is chaotic and uncertain
No, I presume it is just in surge periods. If the Beatles reunite and perform on a single evening in a 40 seats bar.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #350
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I received my Note yesterday. here I offer just a few initial impressions, from playing around with it and installing a few apps.

Since the Note does not have a frontlight, I was hoping for good contrast in the display. The contrast is not as good as the printed page, but good enough in a well-lit area. I wish that the contrast was even better, but it works well enough for me.

I have had three Onyx devices before this: the T68 (which was a quality horror show for a lot of people when it first came out), the C67ML Carta and the Kepler Pro. All 6 inch displays, running Android 4.x.x. Compared to these, the Note is noticeably quicker. Having Android 6.0.1 makes a few apps that I really wanted to run on an eInk device available to me. Unlike my older devices, the Note has no sd card. Then again, it has 32gb of internal storage.

I have not yet tried the audio, note-taking, or Bluetooth capabilities. I'll get there!

I was easily able to get adb access. Not fastboot, though. I don't know yet if it's worth trying to root this device. For one thing, Onyx firmware 1.8.x has some setting that prevents user-installed apps from running at boot. For example, I installed Button Savior to help navigate through some apps. It should start at system startup, but does not. I have to start it manually. This was true for my older Onyx devices, rooted or not. Maybe if root can be achieved, the setting could be found and changed. I don't know. Or maybe Onyx could be persuaded to offer a toggle in settings for people who want to install apps that run at startup.

The 10.3 inch display makes it a treat to read pdfs. Neo Reader does a good job with pdfs in general. It also does well enough with ePub and even azw now. Of course, with Android, you can install any reader app you want. AlReader works well on eInk.

The Note feels light enough that I could use it for serious reading if I wished.

The Note has a quality feel. Also, given its size and hardware, it is more versatile than those older 6 in. devices.

I haven't had it long enough to have a sense of battery life.

That's it for now. Maybe more impressions later!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #351
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
the Note is noticeably quicker [...]
I was easily able to get adb access
Sorry, could you do a
`cat /proc/cpuinfo`
, to be sure of what it sports?

The Max2, after
`adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Hardware`
returns:
Hardware : Rockchip RK3288 (Flattened Device Tree)

Last edited by mdp; 04-13-2018 at 01:27 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #352
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Sorry, could you do a
`cat /proc/cpuinfo`
, to be sure of what it sports?

The Max2, after
`adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Hardware`
returns:
Hardware : Rockchip RK3288 (Flattened Device Tree)
The Note sports the very same hardware!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #353
notemaker
notemaker began at the beginning.

Very much looking forward to Vojislav Dimitrijevic's review of the Note (his reviews of the reMarkable are top notch). He is set to receive a test unit for review this month.
notemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #354
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I was easily able to get adb access.
I'm curious as to how you were able to do that. I haven't managed to do that with my Note.

For some reason, it will not show up in the command window from the ADB platform tools on my Windows 7 laptop even though my original Max does.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #355
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I'm curious as to how you were able to do that. I haven't managed to do that with my Note.

For some reason, it will not show up in the command window from the ADB platform tools on my Windows 7 laptop even though my original Max does.
One suggestion: find another USB-C cable and try it. It's possible that yours doesn't fit quite right. I've had issues in the past with OEM cables from Onyx - though the one I have with my Note seems to be fine.

I had adb set up on my laptop. I enabled USB debugging on the Note. I connected my Note with my laptop. Then, a pop-up window appeared on my Note, asking me if I want to authorize this computer for USB access to my Note. I clicked yes.

I then went to my command prompt, typed "adb devices", and there it was. I did no unusual tricks. All standard stuff. That's why I'm wondering if your cable might be an issue.

I don't recall if you need to do anything else on a Windows 7 system beyond what I've described here. But I have adb access on my Surface Pro and my MacBook Pro.

If anyone else sees anything I may have missed, please let us know!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #356
iFlak
Enthusiast
iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: reMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by notemaker View Post
Very much looking forward to Vojislav Dimitrijevic's review of the Note (his reviews of the reMarkable are top notch). He is set to receive a test unit for review this month.
His last review of the reMarkable was actually the reason I bought it instead of the Note. Very pleased so far.
iFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #357
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One suggestion: find another USB-C cable and try it. It's possible that yours doesn't fit quite right. I've had issues in the past with OEM cables from Onyx - though the one I have with my Note seems to be fine.
That is good to know. I think I have been using a USB-C cable for my phone with it. I have a couple of others about and so will give them a try.

Naturally, my Max uses a different cable so perhaps that is why I have had no problems with it in USB debugging mode.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #358
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uguptu View Post
I don't know what they mean exactly. I too heard from different people (including those from the industry) that frontlight is possible only with glass screen. However, this might be an imprecise statement. Perhaps more or less good frontlight requires glass
I suspect a more or less workable frontlight requires that the device is inflexible, not bendable. And also, the size is a factor, because light sources are along the edges of the screen, so with a bigger screen the light would have a harder time reaching the center.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #359
Klatu-barada
Klatu-barada began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
To summarize:

Buying from the e-reader store means the shipping is chaotic and uncertain but the cover is included and the warranty is longer by a year. Buying from Amazon EU means the warranty is shorter and covers are separate purchases, but shipping is straightforward. I assume their return policy is far more permissive too.

Anything I've missed?
I bought the Note last friday on Ereader Store trough Bank wire transfer. For now my order is still qualified as "waiting for the payment", but this may be normal considered the chosen payment option. I'll let you know how long does it take to reach me in Rome, Italy.
Klatu-barada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #360
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Have now tried 3 different USB-C cables, including the one which came with the Note, but still can't get ADB to work. I even tried using a micro USB cable with a USB-C adapter. But, no luck.

I have no difficulties getting ADB to work with my original Max.

Not a huge issue since I won't likely have much need to use ADB. Just strange.